New Audio-gd R-7, R-7HE R-8, R-27, R-27HE, R-28 Flagship Resistor Ladder DACs and DAC/amps
Apr 1, 2019 at 6:28 PM Post #3,841 of 11,282
Exactly the combination I have

@holco Slightly off topic - how do you find your M1 next to other pre-amps? I have the predecessor C39 Mk3 and a Master 1 has come up second hand here in Australia. I'd love to get it but having tried my M7S direct into my power amp using digital volume, I got a significant improvement. I'm not sure whether to take the plunge on the M1 or look at modifying the C39 to route an XLR input direct to the XLR output (it shouldn't be too hard to do given all the inputs are relay switched)

Apr 1, 2019 at 7:00 PM Post #3,843 of 11,282
Coming from the Master-11 pre/dac the new Master-1 and R-8 dac was a serious big upgrade, because it was a dual switch I can't tell you anything specific about the Master-1 on its own.

@holco Slightly off topic - how do you find your M1 next to other pre-amps? I have the predecessor C39 Mk3 and a Master 1 has come up second hand here in Australia. I'd love to get it but having tried my M7S direct into my power amp using digital volume, I got a significant improvement. I'm not sure whether to take the plunge on the M1 or look at modifying the C39 to route an XLR input direct to the XLR output (it shouldn't be too hard to do given all the inputs are relay switched)

Apr 1, 2019 at 7:08 PM Post #3,844 of 11,282
Oh man! Someone else report! I need to rest and enjoy my two new DACs! The Accusilicons are installed in the R7. May the burn-in process begin (again).

Here are some pictures. The XOs are installed with no socket straight to the board top. The yellow mylar tape in the photo is heat resistant and used to protect adjacent components from a wandering solder iron. You may need some protection as I had to go at solder pins from every direction and angle. And no need to remove the chassis wall divider..

My old oscillators were soldered flat the board and were difficult to remove. Ended up just very carefully ripping them out. Using a pair of pliers from the top twisted them back and forth/ side to side until something snapped and thankfully not the PCB board. Be cautious! 98% of customers probably have the socket pins which are fair easier to remove.

After PCB cleanup installed the oscillators as shown. 98M pins 1 & 14 first. Then pushed the oscillator down to complete the job with pins 7 & 8. The 2nd 90M oscillator was more difficult as space gets tighter and access more limited. Taping off is highly recommended. See last photo LOL...

Great work under this very tough context... And the sound??? I guess to early to tell... I just hope mine XOs are on sockets...

Apr 1, 2019 at 7:15 PM Post #3,845 of 11,282
It's great that Kingwa's work receives such recognition from a very competent reviewer. Really a thorough and very interesting review. Thinking of how close they are according the reviewer, with a set of Accusilicons, the r8 may even beat a 10k+ Aqua dac, who knows...

Congratulations, Kingwa! Very well deserved!:gs1000smile:

Apr 1, 2019 at 7:22 PM Post #3,846 of 11,282

Thanks for the report and are very welcome. You are about 2 days ahead of me on M7S burn-in. My M7S was sounding great this morning. LOL I think we both installed Singularity boards TWICE into our M7s. Mounting from the rear would be best for XO performance. Go for it! Kingwa probably started soldering the factory XOs later to make the units more reliable after shipping.

The Accusilicons have bumps on the bottom that keep it off the the PCB about 0.5mm or so when flush mounting. The XO case is GND potential and the bottom bumps insure something underneath does readily short circuit with the case. You can just hold them down and just solder if the space is clear.

Thanks Michael and good communicating as always!

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2019 at 7:37 PM Post #3,847 of 11,282
Can anybody let me know which combination of ATT0 and ATT1 gives me NOS 1? I seem to find some different information on the web and the manual. Thanks.

Apr 1, 2019 at 7:46 PM Post #3,849 of 11,282
Apr 1, 2019 at 8:07 PM Post #3,851 of 11,282
Thanks Fred,

I saw the site manual, but I got confused by the original manual form Magna that say ON/ON is NOS 3 and NOS 1 is only ATT0 ON.

BTW, which NOS mode do you prefer with the V3?
I think with v3 and the Gustard u16, i prefer nos 3. I also like nos 2. But i mainly listen to os8, now with dithering. So i will have to give nos a try again.

Apr 1, 2019 at 8:29 PM Post #3,853 of 11,282
Great work under this very tough context... And the sound??? I guess to early to tell... I just hope mine XOs are on sockets.

Thanks Fred. I can hear some good things today with the R7. Sounded generic 1st hour and got better. Bass is good. Seems to have more detail. By day 3 the sound should really pick up and begin to come together.

Hope you have sockets as well. Needed a ‘third hand’ today soldering the new parts. So if you have a willing helper the job may be less frustrating (and you can blame them for any mistakes!).:beyersmile:

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2019 at 10:56 AM Post #3,854 of 11,282
I do my headphone listening in the morning when all is quiet and still. My ears are refreshed and more sensitive.... The R7's highs and detail are starting to evolve after Accusilicon installation. I am beginning to fully understand Kingwa and his desire for transparency. Transparency means negative DAC artifacts just disappear. No veil, distortions, glassy trebles, overly sibilant vocals, or murky background. Today I can hear much deeper into mixes. Faint cymbals, bells, and delicate percussion are presented in fine detail and easily located in space/ depth. On a favorite LP record to digital transfer I can hear all the way down into the record grooves. It's just unreal the amount of detail coming out of the R7. So, yes, much more transparent. The R7 is still dynamic and may be even more so than the M7S. Helps make the illusion of recorded music more enjoyable. Thank goodness transparency doesn't squash dynamic presentation.

The mid-range should develop in a few days if the R7 follows the M7S. Still using U16 and Asy firmware which I liked a lot with R7 and old oscillators.

It's always a good sign when you turn volume up and not down during listening. Noticed that with the M7S and today with the R7.

@remoss How is the R7 coming along for you? Anyone else have the new oscillators in R7 or R8? How is the experience evolving for you? I still have less than 24 hrs on my new XOs.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back