New Audio-gd R-7, R-7HE R-8, R-27, R-27HE, R-28 Flagship Resistor Ladder DACs and DAC/amps
Aug 2, 2018 at 9:47 AM Post #2,611 of 11,266
What do you think of these chinese LPS on ebay
I'm enjoying my $140 shipped 5v @3amp (so 15watt) TeraDak LPS. Computers/laptops that accept DC will likely want 19/19.5v @4amp (so 80watt) and those can be had for under $200. In my next build for someone I'll be trying one of those for the first time. I'm using the $400 HDPlex which is 19.5 @10amp (so 200watt) and that is also sending 9v @3amp(I think) to a W4S Recovery.

I'm so bad on Mac, I tried to whipe a Macbook by deleting the partitions and now it won't boot the OS install off a thumb drive. Microcenter is telling me it's a hardware issue but clearly it was what I did. Next stop for me is the apple store.

I do think of some LPS for my future MAC.
My friend was using an Uptone LPS on his 2014 mac mini. I thought my windows boxes were edging it out, and then he upgraded to an Aurender N10 (well over $5k).

Aug 2, 2018 at 10:08 AM Post #2,612 of 11,266
I'm enjoying my $140 shipped 5v @3amp (so 15watt) TeraDak LPS. Computers/laptops that accept DC will likely want 19/19.5v @4amp (so 80watt) and those can be had for under $200. In my next build for someone I'll be trying one of those for the first time. I'm using the $400 HDPlex which is 19.5 @10amp (so 200watt) and that is also sending 9v @3amp(I think) to a W4S Recovery.

I'm so bad on Mac, I tried to whipe a Macbook by deleting the partitions and now it won't boot the OS install off a thumb drive. Microcenter is telling me it's a hardware issue but clearly it was what I did. Next stop for me is the apple store.

My friend was using an Uptone LPS on his 2014 mac mini. I thought my windows boxes were edging it out, and then he upgraded to an Aurender N10 (well over $5k).

Yah, probably not a good idea to mess with a Mac, they are much harder to mess around with, good and bad. Good so they are less prone to corruption/viruses but bad that they cannot really be modified. Mojo Modifies a MacMini. Many does LPS mod on Mac Mini on their own I heard. I am sticking with at least Quadcore (mac mini dualcore) simply now I am planning to play huge DSD files and M-ch files. (maybe with DSD to PCM conversion since currently there are no cheap DSD M-channel DACs so I can only do M-ch PCM). I am getting either Quad Core i5 or 6core i7 Mac.
Macbook is probably noisier but perhaps compensate by the higher power for large files. Audirvana hopefully does good job silencing the computer. I am wondering if it is best to run on battery alone or with LPS? There is perhaps a bit less clarity and dynamic with battery alone but definitely more analogue/less harsh without the stock DC Power supply

YOu can also add iFi DC purifier to a Chinese LPS, which apparently may help improve things further.

Aug 2, 2018 at 6:29 PM Post #2,615 of 11,266
Got new opamps in my master-1 pre. Tough to get those in without damaging the lead. I really made good use of my led lamp with magnifier to get proper pin alignement before pushing the opa2132p in. Missed on the first two attemps, bended one's leads slightly but was able to salvage the chip. Got it running. First impressions: awful, bassless soulless sound.

Then it got better. About the same as before now. Hoping for better bass later on.

Aug 2, 2018 at 8:22 PM Post #2,616 of 11,266
Got new opamps in my master-1 pre. Tough to get those in without damaging the lead. I really made good use of my led lamp with magnifier to get proper pin alignement before pushing the opa2132p in. Missed on the first two attemps, bended one's leads slightly but was able to salvage the chip. Got it running. First impressions: awful, bassless soulless sound.

Then it got better. About the same as before now. Hoping for better bass later on.

Try listening to music wirh below 40Hz bass tone then you will spot the difference.

Aug 3, 2018 at 12:19 AM Post #2,618 of 11,266
Think they need some burning. Now it seems like it made the sound overall cleaner. There is no adfitional bass so far. It is maybe cleaner.

There will be no increase of bass quantity, but bass will be tighter and extend deeper due to less residual DC in the output signal. Overall warm up time for the amp to reach optimal sound is less too.

Aug 3, 2018 at 10:03 AM Post #2,619 of 11,266
Well, the problems I have with DSD512 is that when power up, it plays fine, until the track is muted. Definitely caused by r2r7 has no Mute function but rather only switching.

Anyways, I tried to compare between DSD512 when I can, to I2S and original PCM-FLAC. The sense of cohesiveness and realism of timbres are simply amazing on the R2R7. Where as DSD512 sounds very exaggerated on edges resolutions, some of them even becomes too oversaturated and give a senses of better resolutions but actually it is fatiguing and not musical or analog like the R2R7 with it Ladders.

I think it was a very fair comparison since Offline DSD512 is perfected with algorithm and timing errors is not a thing, where as my PC was dedicatedly built for NOS and R2R7.

Conclusion: R2R7 is a crazy piece of equipment for the money, but you really need a good source to squeeze everything out of it, then again, USB input is not it strong point...Coax, or I2S-HDMI is the way to go

**Update** got news from Kingwa mentioning that if USB card has no noises then even without mute there will be 0 noises....seems if I want this to work, I need Pinkfaun USB card....common R2R7....why so picky on source LOL!

Picky as a super model but priced as a bud-light....heh...interesting

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2018 at 1:32 PM Post #2,620 of 11,266
I got a loaner unit from a friend. The References 7.1

It is essentially Ref7 with upgraded singularity board, Burson op-amps, and goldplated copper wires upgrades

I expected the sound to be very close, but actually....not quiet. They are from different tier obviously: the few things I can observe right away is the Dynamic, it is behind the r2r7 in a very straight forward immediate observation. The soundstage is not as width or as deep. Timbres are not as vivid or realistic The singer vibratos are not as well defined and or well presenting. It doesn’t have the cohesiveness, the flows, and the vocal emotions as R2R7. The sound signature is also very different, where R2R7 is slightly warm at low and low mid, but neutral and brighter from mid to upper high, where as Ref7.1 has neutral low and low mid, but warmer from mid to upper high.

D469DABE-2828-4F13-8103-3D5E14074167.jpeg 5527C927-5BB7-4096-A842-9E466537C20F.jpeg 2A2119D1-C1BD-4E61-A1F5-50E0ED461DA3.jpeg D504F871-8477-40D1-9C08-43CF2FE17954.jpeg

Aug 3, 2018 at 2:42 PM Post #2,621 of 11,266
I got a loaner unit from a friend. The References 7.1

It is essentially Ref7 with upgraded singularity board, Burson op-amps, and goldplated copper wires upgrades

I expected the sound to be very close, but actually....not quiet. They are from different tier obviously: the few things I can observe right away is the Dynamic, it is behind the r2r7 in a very straight forward immediate observation. The soundstage is not as width or as deep. Timbres are not as vivid or realistic The singer vibratos are not as well defined and or well presenting. It doesn’t have the cohesiveness, the flows, and the vocal emotions as R2R7. The sound signature is also very different, where R2R7 is slightly warm at low and low mid, but neutral and brighter from mid to upper high, where as Ref7.1 has neutral low and low mid, but warmer from mid to upper high.

What firmware is running on the Ref7.1 Singularity? I need to try V2 again on my M7S.

The M7S has the same PCM1704 DAC chips as the Ref7.1 and the highs can’t keep up with R2R 7. The M7S trebles are vague and even warmer in comparison. Less low-level detail and width as a result. I can really notice the difference when gaming with both DACs. The R2R 7 is an awesome gaming DAC!

Aug 3, 2018 at 4:07 PM Post #2,623 of 11,266
Running both SA1 atm. I agree with what you said, and r2r7 is excellent DAC for everything. I can see why gaming is so good due to its superb cues of positioning and sound projections

Yes, just tried R7V2SA on the M7S. Gets a little more highs out of it without overcooking. I also loaded it on the R2R 7 today and liking the added clarity it provides. Bass is punchy as well.

R7V2A on the M7S was a little unexpected. Sounded like something strange was going on with the bass. Less bass and not as dynamic which is generally not the case with M7S.

I also loaded old, old Singularity 7 firmware on the R2R 7. This is prior to V1 smooth and accurate and even NOS. Interesting but the V2s are much better match for the R2R 7. But sound OK with the M7S. .

Aug 3, 2018 at 6:10 PM Post #2,624 of 11,266
There will be no increase of bass quantity, but bass will be tighter and extend deeper due to less residual DC in the output signal. Overall warm up time for the amp to reach optimal sound is less too.
The effect is quite subtle. But having a lower dc offset is a good thing with my speakers as they are an 3-way design that only use a transformer to prevent bass to get through to the the tweeters and just perfectly matched bass and mid divers, no crossover between the two. So the dc offset goes directly into the mid and bass drivers. I feel like the medium has slighly better clarity now. As for bass, the difference is very subtle, but i think there is one.

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2018 at 12:09 AM Post #2,625 of 11,266
@Chopin75 I consider the F1 a clock upgrade, but did the F1 install preclude you from getting the USB isolation? If so then maybe my industrial Intona would show benefit on your DAC. Do you use anything to reclock between PC and DAC? (uptone, w4s, schitt, etc).

I use schiit eitr fed by uptone regen(not iso regen).
What regen does is regenerating usb signal completely and also filtering the noise of computer bus power.
And this regulated signal is being used by schiit eitr.
I think if the more cleaned input signal come, the good result must be out(but very good DDCs can regenerate almost same quality, that is why using eitr alone is good as much as using it with regen together).

P.S. As i had been using singxer f-1, i could say schiit eitr's performance is slightly better than f-1.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back