New Audio-gd R-7, R-7HE R-8, R-27, R-27HE, R-28 Flagship Resistor Ladder DACs and DAC/amps
Apr 18, 2018 at 9:52 AM Post #1,531 of 11,305
Yes, the bass is more controlled in NOS mode, both the Non-OS NOS and this NOS-3. I can not tell the differences as everything is still like speaking through a congested noses. I only worry about this level of bass though.
Let the burn-in process do its work, don´t panic :wink:...still, you have accurate fw to try if smooth still sounds to 'nosy' in your system. May I ask, what's the rest of your system?

Apr 18, 2018 at 10:06 AM Post #1,532 of 11,305
Stax SR-009 and the legendary KG-T2 Amplifier with every Cables and powercord made out of solid ultra pure silver. Even my amplifier internal chassis are all silver wirings. The potential meter is $1,000 alone :wink:. Quad matched XF2 New old stock el-34 which was around $1,200. Quad matched philips NOS tubes e88cc around $800. There is no cheapstake in my references system. Not even a connector or plug, and solder joins are all high silver audiograde (not typical lead free)

The only cheap
in my system now would be my rack :D lol!

61192A2F-E7F8-4CFA-8EE1-EA97F81AEFD8.jpeg 27BBE90A-16C9-486A-B4F5-0A68B380050C.jpeg
B2FFE690-A4CC-4987-BA17-0BD1AA28605B.jpeg2E3B09F3-8251-46C3-9F8C-515543B5710D.jpeg

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2018 at 10:50 AM Post #1,533 of 11,305
Stax SR-009 and the legendary KG-T2 Amplifier with every Cables and powercord made out of solid ultra pure silver. Even my amplifier internal chassis are all silver wirings. The potential meter is $1,000 alone :wink:. Quad matched XF2 New old stock el-34 which was around $1,200. Quad matched philips NOS tubes e88cc around $800. There is no cheapstake in my references system. Not even a connector or plug, and solder joins are all high silver audiograde (not typical lead free)

The only cheap
in my system now would be my rack :D lol!

Well...that' an astonishing well put together system you have over there, congrats! I'm pretty sure the R2R7 will up to the task :wink:

Apr 18, 2018 at 11:00 AM Post #1,534 of 11,305
Well...that' an astonishing well put together system you have over there, congrats! I'm pretty sure the R2R7 will up to the task :wink:

I do pray and hope that it does. This piece of equipment has a crazy dosage of bass level...LOL!

Well, from here on until the recommended 1000 hours burn-in will be at least 2 more months. I will try to put up with it lol!

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2018 at 9:39 AM Post #1,535 of 11,305
Audio GD is announcing on main title webpage a firmware upgrade for "pops". Everything shipped after March 28, 2018 has the update. "Bought before 28th March, customer can contact us get the update guide."

Is this the expected firmware change for the R2R DAC board Xilinx?

Apr 19, 2018 at 9:42 AM Post #1,536 of 11,305
Audio GD is announcing on main title webpage a firmware upgrade for "pops". Everything shipped after March 28, 2018 has the update. "Bought before 28th March, customer can contact us get the update guide."

Is this the expected firmware change for the R2R DAC board Xilinx?
Indeed

Apr 19, 2018 at 10:32 AM Post #1,537 of 11,305
I got kingwah email with the 2 previous firmwares, and just paid $40 for the usb flash. Anyways, this fix of “popping” noise is true. I switched from pcm of various sample rate and into native DSD and there was no “pop” or clicking.

Today marks the second day I have th eunit continously burning in. This is probably had been 40 hours. The bass is more controlled, tighter, but still warm in sound signature overall. This is the first piece of equipment where I observe burn-in = more controlled bass LOL! It had always been the opposite. Listening to NOS-3, and this will be going until the very 1000 hours mark for sure. It could be my favorite overall.

I was thinking about replacing the OCC chassis wirings inside toward the XLR main sockets to Silver. The OCC is another reason why the unit has this “warmth”

Apr 19, 2018 at 12:12 PM Post #1,538 of 11,305
Now, I see why the R2R-7 sounds is so warmth and bass strong. Virtually every components inside the device is all about “warmth and bass” voicing lol!

This is my take based on what I have known and gathered in experiences so far. No one have to agree, just sharing it here.

Wima capacitors are known to be fluidly, and warm

Burrbrown Op-Amp is also known to be fluid, organic voicing. Even though it is for servos purposes only, it still affect the sound performances. Everything will affect sound performances

Electrolytic capacitors are known to carry this fluid and warm sounding signature, especially those Nichicon Fine gold or Nover

Those big capacitors have the brand AudioGD on it. My take is that it is special ordered for Kingwa and branded on (from Nichicon)

Every internal chassis wirings are OCC, which is also known for Warm

These components must have made their other build of ESS9038Pro heaven, because delta-sigma and Sabres voicing are with a lot of speed, clarity, transparency, and fine-detail with helleluva high spectrum. More than a few manufacturers already mentioned that ess9038Pro and 28Pro are no longer carrying the “famous Glares”. Hence I love my ESS9038Pro X2 in the LKS-004

Ok, burning in continue

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2018 at 10:16 PM Post #1,539 of 11,305
R2R Digital stages, Xilinx,clocks.... feed digital power like ultracapacitor(Lps1.2),or smps(Sps500)Sound not warm!!!!
Audio gd power supply great for analog but not for digital!
especially the R core transformer,really warm sound vs torroid

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2018 at 4:29 AM Post #1,540 of 11,305
Now, I see why the R2R-7 sounds is so warmth and bass strong.
Do you have no options to dampen the bass? The level of the bass has a huge influence on the rest of the sound. If you can bring that back to a better level, the sound will immediately become a lot more open.
I think the R2R 7 absolutely does not sound warm but very open and detailed. Well I play with active bass speakers myself, so thats easy to adjust.

Apr 20, 2018 at 7:58 AM Post #1,541 of 11,305
R2R Digital stages, Xilinx,clocks.... feed digital power like ultracapacitor(Lps1.2),or smps(Sps500)Sound not warm!!!!

Good, something more that I learned. The more the better

Do you have no options to dampen the bass? The level of the bass has a huge influence on the rest of the sound. If you can bring that back to a better level, the sound will immediately become a lot more open.
I think the R2R 7 absolutely does not sound warm but very open and detailed. Well I play with active bass speakers myself, so thats easy to adjust.

That is correct, the bass plays a huge influences to the sound overall. I did cut back the bass by going NOS-3 mode, and also used Silver XLR interconnect instead.

You gotta try Other Delta-Sigma DAC then, not sure about AudioGD, but the LKS and the Yggy are very open and neutral. In a DAC, when a power supply is properly regulated and linear, the bass will come out to play with it fidelity and dynamic energy. Not the colorful “vanilla” or “warmth”. Though, the chassis wirings “materials” will also affect this “flavor” hugely. It affects even more than XLR-Interconnect.

Regarding burn-in. I had always been burning in many things throughout my gears, and most of the burn-in effect the “edges resolutions of the bass” and “details retrieving from treble”. In a sense, the treble will be more effected than the bass. So far, over the couple day burning in, it has exactly behaved this way, while the bass is tighten up a bit, it is still boom&bang

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2018 at 1:34 PM Post #1,542 of 11,305
How does R core compare with toroidal trransformer PS? I know high end CD transport like Sony uses R core instead of torrid

Apr 20, 2018 at 8:14 PM Post #1,545 of 11,305
As remoss mentioned, the r2r 7 sounds relatively flat. No need to change the transfos. :smile_phones:

Not to my ears, my friend. It has helleluva dosage of bass, boom, bang and warmth.

My LKS-004 is ways more neutral and flat in comparison, and even so, the lks-004 is already a *very little warm sounding.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back