New Audio-GD NFB-6 Balanced Amplifier
Mar 31, 2012 at 11:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 75

darren700

500+ Head-Fier
Looks like Audio-gd is getting ready to release several new products including this new Amplifier.

Looks great to me, plenty of Class A power, and tons of inputs/outputs, its like a supercharged balanced C2.2 (which i did love)
Kingwa claims "[size=x-small]NFB-6 have Neutral and monitor sound , don't work with low end source please." so hopefully its dead neutral like my Objective 2.[/size]
I hope it preforms better than the NFB-10SE Amp did as i did not care for its sound with my LCD2'2s.

What do guys think?

http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/Headphoneamp/NFB6/NFB6EN.htm

Apr 1, 2012 at 2:37 AM Post #2 of 75
It says it borrow tech from the master-6, so im thinking is a must be good.  Damn just pulled the trigger on a LD MK6+ and now this appears.  This hobby is really making a big dent on my wallet. 

Apr 1, 2012 at 4:39 PM Post #4 of 75
I have to admit I 've never been a big fan of Audio-GD (only heard their gears at meets) and always thought they were overrated although they do offer great value equipments. But $400  for a balanced amp that powerful that's just silly 
confused.gif
 . Might just give it a go  for fun and I would loved to be proved wrong. 
biggrin.gif

Jun 11, 2012 at 4:56 PM Post #5 of 75
Hello all.

I own both the DT-770 and  DT-990 Premium 600 Ohm and I am considering going for the C-2.2 to partner with these. I've recently purchased an NFB-6 but have found it deeply disappointing with the Beyers out of the Unbalanced Jack, not having enough power to drive them to satisfying levels, even in High gain mode! I suspect that it may be faulty somehow and have returned it to the seller. If it happens not to be faulty, I will have to give serious consideration to the C-2.2.
Are there any other Head-fiers using the C-2.2 with 600 Ohm Beyers? Have you found it to have plenty of Headroom driving them? I'm also curious as to whether anybody has used either the C-2.1 or 2.2 and compared them with the new NFB-6? 
Anyone's input would be much appreciated.

Leonel

Nov 18, 2012 at 7:55 PM Post #7 of 75
I'll post my impressions on this shortly. I ordered both the NFB-6 and the NFB- 11.32, and should be receiving both tomorrow or the day after. I will be using the NFB-6 primarily as a preamp, but will spend my fair share of time using it as a headphone amp...

Nov 18, 2012 at 8:02 PM Post #8 of 75
Quote:
I'll post my impressions on this shortly. I ordered both the NFB-6 and the NFB- 11.32, and should be receiving both tomorrow or the day after. I will be using the NFB-6 primarily as a preamp, but will spend my fair share of time using it as a headphone amp...

Thanks.

I am rather interested to know what you think of it as a Pre-amp. I was quite impressed with it in that role for the brief period that I had it at home. 
wink_face.gif

Nov 19, 2012 at 1:26 AM Post #9 of 75
Quote:
Thanks.

I am rather interested to know what you think of it as a Pre-amp. I was quite impressed with it in that role for the brief period that I had it at home. 
wink_face.gif

I use it just as much as a pre-amp as I do a headphone amp. I have had 3 pre amps before this, high quality passive, Electrocompaniet and Stello. It is streets ahead of the passive and the Electrocompaniet. I did not have the Stello a long time but my impression is that the NFB-6 is better. Just looking at sound quality as a pre amp the NFB-6 is an incredible deal. If you look at the fact that is has a single ended and balanced headphone output, remote and great connectivity I would say that the NFB-6 is insanely low priced.

However, YMMV. My speakers are Dynaudio and they say that "Dane's don't lie" (that is the way I like it). In my opinion the NFB-6 does not lie either. It has a monitor flavor as Kingwa says. If you prefer a laid back, mellow kind of tube sound, then you should look elsewhere. If you like to hear it the way it is, and if you want to get full value out of your high res files the NFB-6 should work for you. Does for me.

I use the NFB-6 in my 2 channel video setup. My wife watched a video at a friends house and then watched the same video at home, using my sound system for sound including the NFB-6. Without any prompting she said that it sounds way better at home and it is easier to understand the dialogue.

Nov 19, 2012 at 8:27 AM Post #10 of 75
Just found out through tracking that the NFB-6 is on the delivery truck heading for my home....and I'm at work. Does anyone see a situation that is about to change??

beerchug.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocksteady65 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Thanks.

wink_face.gif

--------------------------------------------------------------------
I will definitely do that....once I have had time to put some hours on the clock.  Also getting the NFB-11.32, so it is going to be a very good day I think.

Nov 30, 2012 at 6:49 AM Post #12 of 75
I'm using mine to drive my HE-500 in fully balanced mode with an Audiolab 8200CD as source and this combination is quite stunning to my ears.  I'm still a noob and so can't compare with any other set ups.

Nov 30, 2012 at 7:52 AM Post #13 of 75
Yeah, I believe that it sounds stunning (HE-500 is on my wishlist), but I since I have C-2.1 right now, I am trying to find some comparisons between C-2.x and NFB-6 which would justify upgrading. I am also considering Mjolnir, but NFB-6 is cheaper and I can reuse ACSS cables for balanced.

Dec 6, 2012 at 7:56 AM Post #14 of 75
Just recieved the NFB-6 yesterday, I left it burning in at home, hopefully I'll get the balanced cable before new year and I'll give new impressions.

It's sounding okay out of the headphone jack   but there's something missing, it sounds a little be veiled and trebles seem a bit brittle. The amp isn't very dynamic,  though they give my LCD-2 a lot of juice. Hopefully I'll change my view with burn in and using the balanced output.

¿Is there a diference in power between normal jack and balanced output?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back