New Audio gd NFB-27 Sabre ES 9018 DAC and Headphone Amp
May 19, 2013 at 4:06 AM Post #17 of 63
Any details would be appreciated, and pictures...Congrats..
beerchug.gif

Jun 4, 2013 at 11:20 PM Post #18 of 63
A bit surprised there isn't more information around here on the NFB-27... Audio-gd seems very well regarded, and this is one of their TOTL pieces. I loved reading Clem's impressions and feedback-- anybody else feel up to sharing their experiences?? Don't hog all the headphone heaven for yourself :wink:

Aug 7, 2013 at 7:26 PM Post #19 of 63
I recently went a bit over the top and purchased an Abyss ab-1266. It was either that working with the nfb-27 or a Stax sr-009 with an electrostatic amp. Since my desk space is limited as is, I decided to give the Abyss option a try, hoping that the nfb-27 would be adequate to power these monsters.

I got some unfounded criticism in other forums regarding the pairing, however, I must say that my ears refute such criticisms.
The nfb-27 powers the Abyss very very well. The overall sound quality is amazing and the bass is very powerful and accurate (speaker like).

My respect for the nfb-27 has grown after this experience.

The headphones that have paired well with the nfb-27 (in order of pairing preference) are:

1) Abyss ab-1266
2) Sennheiser HD800 / HD650 (equally as good overall with different pros)
3) Hifiman HE-6
4) Beyerdynamic T1

Headphones that didnt pair so well are the akg k701, AudioTechnica ath W5000, and Beyerdynamic DT990
My wooaudio WA7 proved to be a much better pair for these headphones.

Feb 12, 2014 at 3:52 AM Post #20 of 63
Nobody ever compared this with the NFB-28? I wonder what differences they have, because their technical specs and power seem to be fairly simmilar, but the price is not!

Feb 12, 2014 at 8:24 PM Post #21 of 63
  Nobody ever compared this with the NFB-28? I wonder what differences they have, because their technical specs and power seem to be fairly simmilar, but the price is not!

Bigger sound, blacker background, better technicalities (dynamics and resolution mainly), ... The usual when moving from the 1x r-core to TOTL models.

Dec 17, 2014 at 1:31 PM Post #22 of 63

Bigger sound, blacker background, better technicalities (dynamics and resolution mainly), ... The usual when moving from the 1x r-core to TOTL models.

Wow, this thread has been dormant for a while!  I'm actually thinking of going from the NFB-28 to the 27.  The specs look right and it seems to be a sure upgrade in parts.  Anyone else with this experience of going from 28 to 27?  How about the amp section?

Would also be interested in hearing from any NFB-27 owners just in general.

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Mar 31, 2015 at 11:11 PM Post #23 of 63
Would a move from DAC19-DSP + NFB-6 combo to an NFB-27 be considered a major upgrade? The pricing is 750+400$ = 1150$ vs 1530$. Please let me know your thoughts.

Apr 12, 2015 at 10:41 PM Post #24 of 63
Guys any update on the query? Especially given that with the NFB6 the output is essentially converted to a balanced signal (even though the source I'm using (DAC-19DSP) isn't balanced.
I've been considering the move especially since a single device will be easier to manage than 2 devices. But if I won't notice much difference, then I won't do it.

May 16, 2016 at 1:30 PM Post #26 of 63
I'm quite surprised that there are so less review and talk about this as oppose to the Monitor 11..
Aren't they the same unit except with different DAC chip? ES9018 vs PCM7014UK..

Everyone leans towards R2R instead of DS? I'm picking between these two. I asked King-wa and he said if I listen to rock/metal, go for NFB-27, and if I listen to classical such as orchestra/piano, go for Master 11.. Do a majority of people here listen to classical?

May 17, 2016 at 3:29 AM Post #27 of 63
  I'm quite surprised that there are so less review and talk about this as oppose to the Monitor 11..
Aren't they the same unit except with different DAC chip? ES9018 vs PCM7014UK..

Everyone leans towards R2R instead of DS? I'm picking between these two. I asked King-wa and he said if I listen to rock/metal, go for NFB-27, and if I listen to classical such as orchestra/piano, go for Master 11.. Do a majority of people here listen to classical?

Hi, my classical listening is about 10% , so the NFB 27H (2015) is my choice ( just received about one weeks ago !) it is not only for Rock/Metal it is stunning for anything else others : Jazz , Pop etc ..etc ...... ! can't wait to receive the Senn HD800S to pair with ! my current cans i'm listening now with are the Audeze LCD 2F ( balanced ) Impressive sound quality !

May 17, 2016 at 4:29 AM Post #28 of 63
Hi, my classical listening is about 10% , so the NFB 27H (2015) is my choice ( just received about one weeks ago !) it is not only for Rock/Metal it is stunning for anything else others : Jazz , Pop etc ..etc ...... ! can't wait to receive the Senn HD800S to pair with ! my current cans i'm listening now with are the Audeze LCD 2F ( balanced ) Impressive sound quality !
Thanks for the comment.
My music genre mix is actually quite like you. I will be using a LCD-3 (non-fazor) and a HD650.
I would like to know what balanced cable are you using?

May 17, 2016 at 5:07 AM Post #29 of 63
Hi hidehide , I use the stock xlr 4 pins with my LCD 2F , I don't have the Hd 650 , but for my future HD 800S there is a balanced cable that came with ! Thanks!

May 17, 2016 at 10:17 AM Post #30 of 63
Hi hidehide , I use the stock xlr 4 pins with my LCD 2F , I don't have the Hd 650 , but for my future HD 800S there is a balanced cable that came with ! Thanks!

Cool. I just started with all these and will probably settle with the stock balanced cable as well..
And also planning to get a pair of Adam A7X active speaker through this dac :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back