New Audio gd NFB-27 Sabre ES 9018 DAC and Headphone Amp
May 17, 2016 at 10:23 AM Post #31 of 63
  Cool. I just started with all these and will probably settle with the stock balanced cable as well..
And also planning to get a pair of Adam A7X active speaker through this dac :)

On my NFB 27H there are also 2 XLR 3Pins Input , i don't know if that is better ( sound quality ) then the XLR 4 pins Input ?

May 17, 2016 at 11:17 AM Post #33 of 63
  http://www.head-fi.org/t/445603/use-3-pin-or-4-pin-xlr
Seems there are not much difference. But I'm sure there is an advantage on using XLR over 1/4 SE jack..

Thanks to you , i'm gonna stay with the 4 Pins XLR . Talking about PCM1704UK or ES9018 and with King Wa saying that the Master 11 is for Classic , Piano ... for me the NFB 27H is not bad at all with these kind of music ! will post my impressions when i received the HD800S ( classic music cans ! )  Cheers !
beerchug.gif

May 17, 2016 at 11:30 AM Post #34 of 63

Thanks to you , i'm gonna stay with the 4 Pins XLR . Talking about PCM1704UK or ES9018 and with King Wa saying that the Master 11 is for Classic , Piano ... for me the NFB 27H is not bad at all with these kind of music ! will post my impressions when i received the HD800S ( classic music cans ! )  Cheers !
beerchug.gif

Looking forward to your impression :)
Btw, why do you choose NFB27H over Master 11 at the beginning? Would like to hear more about that.

May 17, 2016 at 12:50 PM Post #35 of 63
  Looking forward to your impression :)
Btw, why do you choose NFB27H over Master 11 at the beginning? Would like to hear more about that.

I know a little a bout the ES9018 , i have several DAP with the same DAC ( HIFIMAN H901 , FIIO X7 , and specially the IBASSO DX100 ! ) , and i like it a lot !, So the NFB 27H is my choice !! But i'm curious about the PCM1704UK (Master 11) and i wonder that is better or not? Thanks !

May 31, 2016 at 2:24 AM Post #36 of 63
I today took delivery of a new NFB-27H (with hdmi replacing rj45)
as nobody has posted any photos of the 27 specifically in this thread I took a bunch

here are the unboxing pics

when stretched out the included usb cable measured 140cm

A spare remote board is included just in case the first one dies on you!

batteries not included, takes 2 AAA's

A spare volume selector is included should the one already installed die on you

The white foam on top & bottom is cut to fit the unit

the warranty seal

This thing certainly is a large piece of kit!
to show that I figured why not play a little game of 'how big is it compared to a ________'

macbook pro 13 inch (vertical)

13 inch macbook pro (horizontal)

A US size 11 shoe (vertical)

US size 11 shoe (horizontal)

the included remote

the remote standing, nfb-27h side on

a standard sized CD case, The included remote & the oppo ha-1 remote

height and width vs oppo ha-1

Depth vs oppo ha-1

height vs standard cd case

depth and width vs standard cd case

Jun 5, 2016 at 10:11 AM Post #40 of 63
I have try 2 Dacs on the NFB 27H , the newest Nuprime Dac9 , and the Delta Sigma Schiit Gungnir , but in fact no one is better then the Sabre Dac chip on the NFB 27H , it is very well implented ! So  i return all the two !

Jun 5, 2016 at 8:17 PM Post #41 of 63
  I have try 2 Dacs on the NFB 27H , the newest Nuprime Dac9 , and the Delta Sigma Schiit Gungnir , but in fact no one is better then the Sabre Dac chip on the NFB 27H , it is very well implented ! So  i return all the two !

I've tested the 27h's dac into my oppo ha-1. I did the same with a chord hugo about 6 or 8 months ago, and in terms soundstage and separation the dac in the 27h is right there with the hugo, I do however think the hugo had a tiny bit more nuance in the treble, a tiny bit! I only noticed it on a live recording and it was in the echo's from the room reflecting back into mic where I noticed it.
I think on the product page it said kingwa believes this the best implementation of the sabre 9018 on the market! I've not heard all the dac's that might challenge for that honour but if the nfb7 and or 27h aren't at least top 3 I've got no idea!

Jun 5, 2016 at 10:39 PM Post #42 of 63
Ho
I've tested the 27h's dac into my oppo ha-1. I did the same with a chord hugo about 6 or 8 months ago, and in terms soundstage and separation the dac in the 27h is right there with the hugo, I do however think the hugo had a tiny bit more nuance in the treble, a tiny bit! I only noticed it on a live recording and it was in the echo's from the room reflecting back into mic where I noticed it.

I think on the product page it said kingwa believes this the best implementation of the sabre 9018 on the market! I've not heard all the dac's that might challenge for that honour but if the nfb7 and or 27h aren't at least top 3 I've got no idea!
So how does 27h compared with HA-1??

Jun 5, 2016 at 11:46 PM Post #43 of 63
Quote:
Ho

if you can afford the 27h I'd suggest you go that route.
beyond what I've said in the ether c thread post I linked and the above post.
the sound is more delicate, in tracks like walking tree by trevor green you can hear it in the attack and the pulsing sustain of the handpan in that track.
the ha-1's treble in comparison has a more plastic sound some call it a digital sound, that sort unnaturalness seems to be a issue with a lot of 9018 dac's, the ha-1 does a better job than a lot but the 27h does such a good job I'm yet to detect even a hint of unnaturalness in the treble, the bass appears to be more extended lower down.
the ha-1 is a great powerful fully balanced option for it's money, the amp section is worth it's price alone imo, it's way smaller could I live with the ha-1 yes, am I happy I've upgraded though heck yes!

the one gripe I've found with the 27h is when I plug in my b&o h6 2nd gen and senn cx3.00's into the single ended jack (not something I really intend to do a lot of but had to give it a shot) I hear a transformer hum noise in the left channel, those phone's are 32ohm and 16ohm, I don't have any higher ohm headphones on hand to try, so I can't comment on if it still there at a higher ohm load, I also don't currently have any way of testing the front dual 3pin jack's
​the hum isn't audible when music is playing just when music isn't playing or if I listen to a track with some silence
I hear no hum with the 22ohm mrspeakers ether c from the 4pin jack though.
when plugging those phones into the ha-1 it's dead quiet.

if you have any specific questions ask away, if you'd like me to a-b them using a genre of music of something like that I'm happy to do so, they both sit stacked next me all day and will for another week or so I'm testing the schiit wyrd, stock usb cable vs schiit pyst & ausioquest usb cables using both dac amps
then I'll going sell the ha-1

EDIT: The 27h also runs much cooler to the touch vs ha-1, for reference the part of my mac's screen that is over the power supply is currently warmer than the 27h to the touch, they've both been running for almost 6 hours today

Jun 6, 2016 at 1:52 AM Post #44 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by hidehide /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Ho

if you can afford the 27h I'd suggest you go that route.
beyond what I've said in the ether c thread post I linked and the above post.

the sound is more delicate, in tracks like walking tree by trevor green you can hear it in the attack and the pulsing sustain of the handpan in that track.

the ha-1's treble in comparison has a more plastic sound some call it a digital sound, that sort unnaturalness seems to be a issue with a lot of 9018 dac's, the ha-1 does a better job than a lot but the 27h does such a good job I'm yet to detect even a hint of unnaturalness in the treble, the bass appears to be more extended lower down.
the ha-1 is a great powerful fully balanced option for it's money, the amp section is worth it's price alone imo, it's way smaller could I live with the ha-1 yes, am I happy I've upgraded though heck yes!

the one gripe I've found with the 27h is when I plug in my b&o h6 2nd gen and senn cx3.00's into the single ended jack (not something I really intend to do a lot of but had to give it a shot) I hear a transformer hum noise in the left channel, those phone's are 32ohm and 16ohm, I don't have any higher ohm headphones on hand to try, so I can't comment on if it still there at a higher ohm load, I also don't currently have any way of testing the front dual 3pin jack's

​the hum isn't audible when music is playing just when music isn't playing or if I listen to a track with some silence

when plug those phones into the ha-1 it's dead quiet.

I hear no hum with the 22ohm mrspeakers ether c from the 4pin jack though.

if you have any specific questions ask away, if you'd like me to a-b them using a genre of music of something like that I'm happy to do so, they both sit stacked next me all day and will for another week or so I'm testing the schiit wyrd, stock usb cable vs schiit pyst & ausioquest usb cables using both dac amps

then I'll going sell the ha-1

EDIT: The 27h also runs much cooler to the touch vs ha-1, for reference the part of my mac's screen that is over the power supply is currently warmer than the 27h to the touch, they've both been running for almost 6 hours today
Thanks for the thorough feedback! I'm deciding between the two. I can get both at a similar price. From what I have read, 27h seems to be the perfect DAC/amp combo with ES9018 as I will be listening to rock/metal genre. But one thing that hinder me is the size and the look of 27h. HA-1 looks much prettier and smaller when compared to 27h. But from what you said, 27h > HA-1..
Can you do a A-B test on the following song? Or with similar type if you have lossless file to test with? Would love to hear from you.
https://youtu.be/W37_xInM448

Jun 6, 2016 at 3:01 AM Post #45 of 63
Thanks for the thorough feedback! I'm deciding between the two. I can get both at a similar price. From what I have read, 27h seems to be the perfect DAC/amp combo with ES9018 as I will be listening to rock/metal genre. But one thing that hinder me is the size and the look of 27h. HA-1 looks much prettier and smaller when compared to 27h. But from what you said, 27h > HA-1..
Can you do a A-B test on the following song? Or with similar type if you have lossless file to test with? Would love to hear from you.
https://youtu.be/W37_xInM448

wow! if you can get them both for the same price get the 27h as fast as humanly possible! you're either getting a great deal on the 27h or you're over paying for the ha-1. it's just much a nicer listen all round imo.
the 27h doesn't look so bad, maybe vs the ha-1 the front panel looks a bit cheaper mainly imo due to the LED number display, but even that looks better in person than photos (I tried taking a few photos but the blue just bleeds in photos)
and yeh it's a behemoth, I had a pretty small desk which I ended up replacing it to give my 27inch mac some room either side

listening that track the differences I hear are when the double tracking of the vocals comes in listening the 27h it's the 2 different vocal tracks are more discernible.
you might not even notice the bass line during parts where every instrument is playing from the ha-1 if you're not paying attention, granted it's only barely there from the 27h.
the fire sounds a little more real from the 27h.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back