New Audio-gd DAC-19 [10th Anniversary Edition]
Feb 10, 2017 at 12:00 PM Post #1,816 of 1,962
Never said that the comparison was fair. I agree it's an unfair comparison. Was asked to compare so I did.

Gotcha!

I'm sure the Yggy is a wonderful DAC, I have in fact been compulsively dropping by the Schiit website, choosing my options and hovering my cursor over the add to cart button...

Feb 10, 2017 at 11:42 PM Post #1,817 of 1,962
Never said that the comparison was fair. I agree it's an unfair comparison. Was asked to compare so I did.

To be fair to @exsomnis he or she did say it's a matter of "commitment." And yes, it's a financial commitment because who the heck needs this kind of specialty gear, anyway? NO SCIENTIFIC EVIDENCE ANYONE CAN HEAR ANY DIFFERENT THAN ANYONE ELSE. FULL STOP.
wink_face.gif

Not trying to get in anyone's face here, simply adding that I asked because I like many here had my heart set on the Yggy or the Gumby MB before I had even heard of Audio-GD. I've PM'd lots of people who've posted comparisons of Schiit and there's strong positive consensus.

After reading DAC-19 posts here (and it's been pointed out that that's a dangerous thing here, given the nature of how we reinforce our opinions by joining others), I found a used DAC-19 about the same time the Modi MB came out. Glad I did, and heck now I have both "styles," in a sense.

I think it's useful, fair even, to compare units that are 2x or even 3x difference in price. If your system (or ears) can't discern the difference, you've learned something. If you can, your wallet may hurt a little (or a lot). Either way, you've learned something and it was probably fun!

Feb 12, 2017 at 5:51 PM Post #1,818 of 1,962
  I think it's useful, fair even, to compare units that are 2x or even 3x difference in price. If your system (or ears) can't discern the difference, you've learned something. If you can, your wallet may hurt a little (or a lot). Either way, you've learned something and it was probably fun!

Would add that more costly doesn't always translate to more performance.  Many of my gains have come going down in cost.  Nothing quite as fun as getting an upgrade and putting money INTO the bank at the same time :wink:

Feb 18, 2017 at 2:14 PM Post #1,819 of 1,962
Just updated to v7 on my DAC19 10th Anni today. Have not gotten into sound yet coz facing a problem...

Existing setup: PC-> usb-> Gustard U12-> coax-> DAC19-> rca-> amp
Music app: Foobar

Before the update, there were no issues. After the update, whenever I play any track, before the sound comes in, there will be a burst of static noise. Even if I let a track finish playing and naturally move to next track, there will be the burst of static noise. Noise is there whether I select DS, ASIO or WASAPI. Noise is also there with a different player app.

The duration of the noise is somewhat dependent on the duration the track time starts ticking before the first sound is heard. Because of this, some tracks can have a 2-3 seconds long cracks.

At first I thought while the song is playing, there isn't any noise. However just now I just let a few tracks run longer... there are occasional cracks here and there.

I emailed AGD straightaway and Kingwa asked me to try with another PC. I tried with a Win 7 laptop and got the same result.

I googled a bit after my friend suggested it could be IDtag issue. Used MP3tag to remove tags from some tracks. Problem persisted.

Then I tried on my original PC... connect USB direct to DAC19, bypassing the U12. There is no more such noise. I tried toggling a few times and was quite repeatable. So now I'm tentatively back to USB direct.

Anyone encountered the same problem?

I have just placed an order for Singxer SU-1 last week. Now I'm not sure whether the problem lies with the SPDIF onboard, drivers, or what. Hence I'm also hesitant to flash back to original firmware (I hope it wouldn't become a permanent problem even after flashing back!)

Feb 23, 2017 at 1:25 PM Post #1,820 of 1,962
  Just updated to v7 on my DAC19 10th Anni today. Have not gotten into sound yet coz facing a problem...

Existing setup: PC-> usb-> Gustard U12-> coax-> DAC19-> rca-> amp
Music app: Foobar

Before the update, there were no issues. After the update, whenever I play any track, before the sound comes in, there will be a burst of static noise. Even if I let a track finish playing and naturally move to next track, there will be the burst of static noise. Noise is there whether I select DS, ASIO or WASAPI. Noise is also there with a different player app.

The duration of the noise is somewhat dependent on the duration the track time starts ticking before the first sound is heard. Because of this, some tracks can have a 2-3 seconds long cracks.

At first I thought while the song is playing, there isn't any noise. However just now I just let a few tracks run longer... there are occasional cracks here and there.

I emailed AGD straightaway and Kingwa asked me to try with another PC. I tried with a Win 7 laptop and got the same result.

I googled a bit after my friend suggested it could be IDtag issue. Used MP3tag to remove tags from some tracks. Problem persisted.

Then I tried on my original PC... connect USB direct to DAC19, bypassing the U12. There is no more such noise. I tried toggling a few times and was quite repeatable. So now I'm tentatively back to USB direct.

Anyone encountered the same problem?

I have just placed an order for Singxer SU-1 last week. Now I'm not sure whether the problem lies with the SPDIF onboard, drivers, or what. Hence I'm also hesitant to flash back to original firmware (I hope it wouldn't become a permanent problem even after flashing back!)

I think you're out of luck there - if you look at the DAC-19 product page you will find this:

"If the SPDIF sources ( only with some few  disc player models)  have design the SPDIF  output signal switch on while playback and switch off while  stop, the switch noise will reproduce by the DAC-19 ( 10th Anniversary Edition  ), the issue is had a click sound while the source start and stop play the music. 
         Fortunately most sources had not switch the SPDIF output signal and always had output signal while power on ."

Feb 24, 2017 at 12:02 AM Post #1,821 of 1,962
I think you're out of luck there - if you look at the DAC-19 product page you will find this:

"If the SPDIF sources ( only with some few  disc player models)  have design the SPDIF  output signal switch on while playback and switch off while  stop, the switch noise will reproduce by the DAC-19 ( 10th Anniversary Edition  ), the issue is had a click sound while the source start and stop play the music. 

Fortunately most sources had not switch the SPDIF output signal and always had output signal while power on ."

Would that mean U12 is the "culprit"? I am still waiting for the Singxer SU-1 to arrive and if it's the DDC, I really hope the SU-1 works!

Come to think of it, before the update I did not have this issue. Hmm...

Feb 24, 2017 at 1:54 AM Post #1,822 of 1,962
Would that mean U12 is the "culprit"? I am still waiting for the Singxer SU-1 to arrive and if it's the DDC, I really hope the SU-1 works!

Come to think of it, before the update I did not have this issue. Hmm...

It does seem like it. Are you using the U12 just to convert USB to SPDIF? There are people using the Singxer with the DAC19 though so I think you'll be fine.

Mind you, I'm getting great results with USB input with a Supra 2.0 USB cable. That significantly improved on every aspect of the sound from my DAC19 - particularly with clarity, imaging and instrument placement. Adding and removing a Wyred4sound Recovery USB reclocker from the chain hardly makes a difference. 'Course, the laptop I'm streaming from has some wonky USB ports, though they seem to work perfectly fine with the Supra cable for whatever reason.

Feb 24, 2017 at 11:14 AM Post #1,823 of 1,962

It does seem like it. Are you using the U12 just to convert USB to SPDIF? There are people using the Singxer with the DAC19 though so I think you'll be fine.

Mind you, I'm getting great results with USB input with a Supra 2.0 USB cable. That significantly improved on every aspect of the sound from my DAC19 - particularly with clarity, imaging and instrument placement. Adding and removing a Wyred4sound Recovery USB reclocker from the chain hardly makes a difference. 'Course, the laptop I'm streaming from has some wonky USB ports, though they seem to work perfectly fine with the Supra cable for whatever reason.

Yup, just to convert to SPDIF. I have used the same cable on USB direct vs coaxial via U12, and preferred the U12 path. Hopefully the SU-1 would be ok.

Feb 24, 2017 at 11:57 AM Post #1,824 of 1,962

Yup, just to convert to SPDIF. I have used the same cable on USB direct vs coaxial via U12, and preferred the U12 path. Hopefully the SU-1 would be ok.

Is yours Amanero or the other USB?

Feb 28, 2017 at 4:55 AM Post #1,826 of 1,962
Just received the SU-1 and set it up. Same crackling/static noise problem. Sigh.... Bad flash? Random device/component malfunction? 

Guess I'm gonna flash back to old firmware. AND... hopefully the noise doesn't become permanent!

Mar 3, 2017 at 5:57 PM Post #1,827 of 1,962
So the DAC-19 is R2R Multibit and not R2R Ladder, right?

Mar 4, 2017 at 2:14 AM Post #1,828 of 1,962
  So the DAC-19 is R2R Multibit and not R2R Ladder, right?

If I'm not wrong, R2R, Ladder, and Multibit, all refer to a Resistor Ladder DAC.

Mar 7, 2017 at 11:03 AM Post #1,829 of 1,962
I'm strongly debating to purchase a DAC-19, once again, but I'd like to try it with my current rig before pulling the trigger. I was wondering if anyone could help me out in the Los Angeles Area? I'm not asking for free. Pm me for details. Thanks!

Mar 16, 2017 at 1:16 PM Post #1,830 of 1,962
So I performed the side grade from DAC-19 to NOS-19 using the dyi TCXO clock + capacitors shipped from Audio-GD. Upgraded firmware from DSPv7 to NOSv2 successfully. I was somewhat surprised that the sound is a little etchy out of the gate... I hope this really is the TCXO clock burning in! (On another TCXO clock upgrade page on agd site - "If you take the clock for upgrade, before sound compare, please burn in it. The clock burn in not myth, it is real effect the performance of the clock.")

Users who are viewing this thread

Back