New Audio-gd DAC-19 [10th Anniversary Edition]
Nov 20, 2016 at 4:48 AM Post #1,681 of 1,962
Please share the experience the DAC used with CD Transport, I am planning to get the NOS version..

Excellent use the coax S/PDIF to connect your transport and you'll be very happy.

Nov 20, 2016 at 1:14 PM Post #1,682 of 1,962
What's "better" to you? I recommend you have an idea of that before you commit.

As @intrepidcase said, the warmer sound was appealing but for me it came at the cost of bass clarity, crispness, and things I prefer in my sound. I just added an expensive silver cable and seemingly lost some bass while gaining more clarity and air up top. Maybe it has to burn in more but I've had similar experiences with silver cable. So unless there is some burn in, I'm $200 into a friggin cable (power, at that) and I think I prefer the stock cable that cost $2 and came with the power supply.

It's cool that the DAC-19 has jumpers to tailor the sound, but don't push them down to fully seat them until you listen and decide if you like it! :wink:

Nov 20, 2016 at 2:27 PM Post #1,683 of 1,962
Question and thoughts:

If you need a DAC + AMP and interested in the NOS.

Options:

NOS 11 = $2000  (4x  PCM1704UK Chips) DAC and Balanced AMP

NOS 19 + NFB-1AMP = $1400 (1x PCM1704UK Chip) DAC and Balanced AMP

Wondering what the thoughts are on going with either option?

Any other suggestion?

Do you think there is a big difference between a 4x chips vs. 1x chip?

Nov 22, 2016 at 4:55 AM Post #1,686 of 1,962
  Question and thoughts:

If you need a DAC + AMP and interested in the NOS.

Options:

NOS 11 = $2000  (4x  PCM1704UK Chips) DAC and Balanced AMP

NOS 19 + NFB-1AMP = $1400 (1x PCM1704UK Chip) DAC and Balanced AMP

Wondering what the thoughts are on going with either option?

Any other suggestion?

Do you think there is a big difference between a 4x chips vs. 1x chip?

NOS 11 should be better mainly because of superior power supply (and not so because of the 4, instead of 2, dac chips).
For use with NOS 19, you should prefer the C-2 amp to the NFB-1AMP. 

Nov 26, 2016 at 2:20 AM Post #1,690 of 1,962
Well I don't know what you mean by rewiring, I have to admit I gave up with NOS mode a while ago and listen in x2 OS. And it was still very nice :blush:
I could not believe people who said channel imbalance was due to poor data quality but could not fix it either...
Sorry for my low knowledge, what do you mean SQ in OS mode?

Nov 26, 2016 at 11:41 AM Post #1,691 of 1,962
I mean did the sound quality in regular, e.g. 2x-8x oversampling mode change in any way as a result of update?

About rewiring I'm not sure myself what I said. My understanding from this thread was that to fix channel imbalance you need to physically alter the DAC in some way. What else could it be than rewiring? :D

Nov 26, 2016 at 12:08 PM Post #1,692 of 1,962
Well, about sound quality... First I have to say I did not listen long to it yet. Second, I would not go back... The scene is a bit larger and more stable, highs are more relaxed.
At least according to me :)

Nov 29, 2016 at 9:14 PM Post #1,693 of 1,962
Looking for a bit of quick info in the next couple hours before i goto bed... supposed to be getting the online update via teamviewer around 5am while ill still be sleeping... need to know how the blaster cable attaches to the dac-19... based on the pic here http://audio-gd.com/Master/Master-7_384/DSPupdataEN.htm showing the master 7 im assuming it goes something like the pic below.
Waiting to hear back from AGD before i goto sleep to find out but given the time difference i thought i might reach out to see if anyone here who as gone through this process can confirm
Thanks in advance!

Nov 30, 2016 at 4:44 PM Post #1,695 of 1,962
Can email them the teamviewer id get everything hooked up and its ready to go whenever they want to connect. And since that is 5am my time i'd rather be sleeping :p

And i found out that is the correct way to connect the blaster cable to the dac-19 board if anyone else is curious.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back