New Audio-gd DAC-19 [10th Anniversary Edition]
Oct 14, 2016 at 12:07 PM Post #1,591 of 1,962
Looks like the DAC-19, Master 7, and Master 11 just got a DSP software update... v7

From Audio-gd site:

Master 7(2016), Master 11(2016)  and DAC19(2016) release.

Same price with older version in Oct.

Upgrade the newest DSP V7 software which is design by Mr. He.
Support up to 384K , better neutral sound, better dynamic, better exact sound stage, better S/N, and better steady .
Don't like neutral sound?
You can setting different working modes, like 8X, 4X, 2X and NOS modes for got the smooth and warm sound 

I'm interested in trying it out on my DAC-19 10th Ann... Any of you guys ever done one of these update to any of those 3 dacs before? Planning to email Kingwa to get everything i need (firmware itself and any info he can provide) and ordering one of the USB Blasters.

Oct 15, 2016 at 8:56 PM Post #1,592 of 1,962
  Looks like the DAC-19, Master 7, and Master 11 just got a DSP software update... v7

From Audio-gd site:

Master 7(2016), Master 11(2016)  and DAC19(2016) release.

Same price with older version in Oct.

Upgrade the newest DSP V7 software which is design by Mr. He.
Support up to 384K , better neutral sound, better dynamic, better exact sound stage, better S/N, and better steady .
Don't like neutral sound?
You can setting different working modes, like 8X, 4X, 2X and NOS modes for got the smooth and warm sound 

I'm interested in trying it out on my DAC-19 10th Ann... Any of you guys ever done one of these update to any of those 3 dacs before? Planning to email Kingwa to get everything i need (firmware itself and any info he can provide) and ordering one of the USB Blasters.

Do tell how this goes. I'm interested in upgrading as well, if possible.

Oct 15, 2016 at 9:01 PM Post #1,593 of 1,962
I emailed Kingwa last night and he said it won't be until next month when they start giving out the guide/firmware for the update. Unless i misunderstood him somehow which seems to happen from time to time. hehe
But i will definitely report back as soon as i'm able to get mine updated and have some listening time.

Oct 15, 2016 at 9:13 PM Post #1,594 of 1,962
  I emailed Kingwa last night and he said it won't be until next month when they start giving out the guide/firmware for the update. Unless i misunderstood him somehow which seems to happen from time to time. hehe
But i will definitely report back as soon as i'm able to get mine updated and have some listening time.

Awesome. I just e-mailed him myself to make sure :) Keep us posted!

Oct 16, 2016 at 12:25 PM Post #1,595 of 1,962

Ugh, I *just* received my new DAC-19 a few days ago. I wish that Kingwa had mentioned this to me and offered to wait another week. I will still do the update via a USB blaster. I ordered the DAC-19 with I2S HDMI and am using it with an Singxer SU-1. Sounds great but have avoided doing any critical listening until it burns in for a few more days.

Oct 16, 2016 at 2:57 PM Post #1,596 of 1,962
Oct 17, 2016 at 1:48 AM Post #1,598 of 1,962
Hi,

I am currently using Singxer SU-1 via coaxial (limited to 96khz) to DAC 19 10th.
 Thinking of trying HDMI I2S but need to order the option as currently the slot is used by USB interface.
 Would you mind sharing 
 i) Is there an improvement using HDMI I2S instead of coaxial from SU-1 ?
 ii) Is the default HDMI I2S pin out in between Singxer SU-1 and DAC 19 10th compatible ?
 Thanks

Oct 17, 2016 at 2:12 AM Post #1,599 of 1,962
  Hi,

I am currently using Singxer SU-1 via coaxial (limited to 96khz) to DAC 19 10th.
 Thinking of trying HDMI I2S but need to order the option as currently the slot is used by USB interface.
 Would you mind sharing 
 i) Is there an improvement using HDMI I2S instead of coaxial from SU-1 ?
 ii) Is the default HDMI I2S pin out in between Singxer SU-1 and DAC 19 10th compatible ?
 Thanks

1. I have not yet done any critical listening to compare HDMI vs Coax fully. I do have both plugged in and have verified that the SU-1 sends out signal on both so it's very easy to A/B them live by turning the input dial on the Dac 19 back and forth in realtime. Once back tomorrow and things are burnt in I will follow up with an update.

2. Yes, the SU-1 works out of the box with the Dac 19. The SU-1 has dip switches for HDMI pinouts but the only one of consequence is switch 6 for phase/channel inversion. I tried it and sure enough the channels were backwards ... except that:

3. for some reason, 24/176 material plays with channels inverted! All other resolutions including 24/192, 24/96, 24/88, redbook, etc are ok. And once 24/176 inverts the channels, they stay like this on red book until you force it back with a piece of 24/96 or 24/192. So for now, I am avoiding my very few pieces of 24/176 tracks that I have. Of course, one could get up and flip the above mentioned dip switch if you wanted, and one might even care that much if channels are flipped.

I don't know if the 24/176 thing is an issue with the SU-1 or the Dac 19 - I am going to try some tests this week to try and identify the cause. I think that if I power off/on each of the two pieces in the chain after playing a 24/176 piece and before a red book piece, I should be able to identify it.

Oct 29, 2016 at 10:34 AM Post #1,601 of 1,962
A few things...

Does anyone have an extra knob for the Input selector?

Anyone in the states looking for a new input switch please pm me. I have an extra and it's easy to replace no soldering required.

Opinions on leaving the dac 19 on all the time??? I usually do, any danger in this?

Received the NFB-1Amp this week. This is my my first AGD amp, Man this thing has power! Sounds very nice with the dac 19!

Oct 29, 2016 at 11:55 AM Post #1,602 of 1,962
I have left my dac-19 10th on 24/7 since i got it in January... no problems and definitely helps it sound the best it can.
I agree, the combo of this dac and my C-2 11th is awesome. Mine has 2 rca outs and i also have a Woo WA2, also sounds fantastic. Especially since i got a usb reclocker and a DDC using the spdif input on my dac and dsp settings NOS, PLL disabled, Dithering Disabled, -90dB stopband

Oct 29, 2016 at 12:17 PM Post #1,603 of 1,962
  I have left my dac-19 10th on 24/7 since i got it in January... no problems and definitely helps it sound the best it can.
I agree, the combo of this dac and my C-2 11th is awesome. Mine has 2 rca outs and i also have a Woo WA2, also sounds fantastic. Especially since i got a usb reclocker and a DDC using the spdif input on my dac and dsp settings NOS, PLL disabled, Dithering Disabled, -90dB stopband

This is interesting to me. I have a NOS 19, which almost certainly has a power supply + wiring that's identical to the DAC-19's. For various reasons, I'm reluctant to leave it on 24/7. But I've also been reluctant to treat the NOS 19 as I do all other desktop components plugged into the same switchable power strip (which is plugged into an over-sized APC uninterruptible power supply device)--all the other devices are normally switched "on," and every morning, I turn the entire system (except NOS 19) on using the power strip's on/off switch.

This has worked well for years with a changing list of equipment. But I somehow was reluctant to turn the NOS 19 on an off this way...I'm not sure there are any on/off relays to protect it. And it's such a high quality (and pricey, for me) DAC that I didn't want to "mess with success," so have been using the rather substantial push-switch on front panel to turn it on and off.

Am I crazy to be concerned about this? Would it hurt the NOS 19 to use an external switch to turn it on and off?

Also have a indirectly-relevant comment about Audio GD headphone amps. Last week I bought a very good-condition, used NFB-15.32 all-in-one. I've always been curious about this particular Audio GD device (no longer sold) w/its Wolfson DAC chips described as "warm & musical" (an irresistible description, if you're me!). Anyway, it's really a terrific little unit, extremely competent. A little brighter than people say, but not badly so (I hear practically every DAC as bright except the NOS 19, so discount for source). Anyway, listening to the 15.32 on headphones, I was struck by how clean & strong the HP amp is. Difficult if not impossible to separate its sound from the DAC's, since this unit has no switchable inputs, allowing you to hear another DAC as input to the HP amp. But still, even at low gain, the 15.32 has a lot of power, way more than any or my headphones require. And it's very clean & uncolored sounding. 

Made me really want to try the C-2, which is probably more of the same, squared (ie, crazy-good & powerful HP amp for single-ended application). Not that I need another amp...

Oct 29, 2016 at 1:05 PM Post #1,604 of 1,962
I've been keeping mine on all the time, as I haven't felt much heat off of it. Just curious what others do. I seem to recall Schiit recommending leaving their dacs on at all times, but obviously that may be their own thing with schiit products.

Oct 29, 2016 at 2:06 PM Post #1,605 of 1,962
My DAC-19 is also always on 24/7.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back