New Audio-gd DAC-19 [10th Anniversary Edition]
Apr 8, 2016 at 8:52 PM Post #1,396 of 1,962
I am still learning about these things myself and only recently started to experiment. Take a look at this http://www.basshead.club/audio-gear/master-11-info/ as far as i know most of that related to the dac-19 as well.

To the best of my knowledge just disabling the phase locked loop does not put you into NOS nor is it required to be disabled in order to get non-over sampling from the dsp-1. The main thing would be jumpering IPS0 & IPS1 turning off any over sampling, hence NOS. Not sure how much research you have done on these matters yet but im guessing you are using USB out from a computer primarily? So we can assume there is some amount of jitter... are you using some sort of reclocker like an UpTone Audio Regen or something of that nature? From what i've been reading if you are to disable PLL and the over sampling you need a very low jitter source and it seems most of the time just running usb out of a PC could cause all sorts of problems with channel imbalance etc. so you generally need a reclocker in the chain between the source and the dac. I still have yet to try turning off the over sampling on mine, i just got a Regen this week and have only disabled PLL to see if there was a noticeable change in sound quality. So i may not be the best person to answer these questions based on my limited knowledge with these subjects. Still researching and experimenting. But i saw that no one better qualified has chimed in yet so thought i would toss in my 2 cents.

Apr 9, 2016 at 3:26 AM Post #1,397 of 1,962
Can anyone please confirm that, if those jumper settings have effects on all inputs (SPDIF & USB) or just only for the USB? Please en-light with your wisdom....

Apr 9, 2016 at 11:59 AM Post #1,398 of 1,962
Just a quick cross post from the QP1R thread:

Any way to get 24/192 files into the Dac-19 via the optical out of the QP1R? It was never an issue as I didn't have any 192 files, but now I have a couple or 3 or 4 albums in 24/192. I can always transcode them to 24/96. If anyone has a better way… oh, mine has the original USB32.

Are the Xmos and Amanaro USB only?

Apr 9, 2016 at 12:31 PM Post #1,399 of 1,962
  Just a quick cross post from the QP1R thread:

Any way to get 24/192 files into the Dac-19 via the optical out of the QP1R? It was never an issue as I didn't have any 192 files, but now I have a couple or 3 or 4 albums in 24/192. I can always transcode them to 24/96. If anyone has a better way… oh, mine has the original USB32.

Are the Xmos and Amanaro USB only?

Nope, not according to the Audio-GD site.

USB and I2S modes: 44.1kHz, 48kHz, 88.2kHz, 96kHz, 176.4kHz , 192kHz, 
 Coaxial and Optical mode: 44.1kHz, 48kHz, 88.2kHz, 96kHz

Apr 14, 2016 at 10:27 AM Post #1,400 of 1,962
I received delivery of my DAC-19 several hours ago and have not been able to stop listening to them since then, with LCD 3Fs and a Precision 1. I'm hooked on the musicality and balanced presentation, combined with the natural timbres, tones and sense of live presence that it provides.

I'd thought it would be a bit like the mid-range R2R DACs of old - smooth, liquid, yet lacking a bit of resolution but no, there's oodles and oodles of refinement together with that liquidity.

This is definitely a keeper.

Apr 14, 2016 at 10:36 AM Post #1,401 of 1,962
  So last night i started having a weird issue and i was wanting to see if anyone has ever experienced anything similar.
My DAC-19 10th is around 4 months old and has 2 RCA outs instead of 1 rca and 1 acss. I've had a C-2 11th and Little Dot MK IV SE hooked up so i can listen to whichever floats my boat at the time. Suddenly last night i was listening to the Little Dot so i decided to switch off the C-2 and the audio cuts out (well basically all but silent...u can turn volume to 75% and barely hear the audio coming through ever so faintly if you listen closely). turn the C-2 back on and BOOM it starts working again. I am planning on swapping the rca outputs to see if it leads to needing to have the Little Dot on in order for the C-2 to work in order to start narrowing down the issue, just havent yet because i have to move a bunch of stuff around to get to the cables easily so i thought i would jump the fun and get a post regarding the issue up. Everything sounds fine otherwise, but this just started happening and shouldn't happen. I am worried this could lead to future issues so i want to find out what i'm dealing with...I also just fired off an email to Kingwa at Audio-gd to get his input.

Thanks for giving this a glance and thanks in advance for any input.

**Tinkering Update**

I swapped the output on the dac-19, didn't make a difference still have to keep the C-2 on in order to get audio out of the little dot. Tried different input on the C-2 for ****s and giggles (thinking that for whatever reason, making no logical sense i could come up with that the input i was using on the C-2 was some how causing an issue haha), no difference. Only when the C-2 rca is unplugged from the dac will the little dot get an audio signal.

Thanks john57, I saw that procedure on the C-2 page as well and was starting to wonder about it... i will give it a try. Appreciate the suggestion!

I tried something similar - in my case with the ACSS and RCA outs both connected to different amps - and no sound would come out at all with one amp unpowered or both powered on. By design maybe?

Apr 15, 2016 at 12:15 AM Post #1,402 of 1,962
I still haven't tried disabling the idle input short circuit function as detailed here:

http://audio-gd.com/Pro/Headphoneamp/C22015/C22015EN_Use.htm
http://audio-gd.com/Pro/Headphoneamp/C-2Class%20A/C2classA7.JPG

I have a feeling that might do the trick, just haven't felt like opening it up to pull off the jumpers as it's really not a huge inconvenience to me, but if i get around to it this weekend before you do i will report back with my findings.

How are you enjoying the DAC-19 10th? Still loving mine on a daily basis! 
dt880smile.png

Apr 17, 2016 at 4:47 AM Post #1,403 of 1,962
It's absolutely fantastic! While my setup is single-ended, this is an end game DAC for me. 
beerchug.gif

Apr 30, 2016 at 7:10 AM Post #1,405 of 1,962
I am curious too. I tried NOS on my DAC19 Anniversary and there is slight channel imbalance. The scene is moved a bit to the right.. Tried with different setups.

Apr 30, 2016 at 12:28 PM Post #1,406 of 1,962
What source are you using? Any sort of reclocker in between the source and dac when attempting to use NOS? Were you also disabling PLL as well as turning off the over sampling?

Apr 30, 2016 at 4:49 PM Post #1,408 of 1,962
I would think the main problem is jitter coming from the usb source causing the channel imbalance, at least from what i've read so far. Leaving PLL should help with this, turning it off could only make this worse if my understanding of the PLL's function is correct. If you really want to use a DAC-19 without any oversampling (NOS) and are experiencing channel imbalance etc, you will probably need a usb reclocker of some kind. I have an Upton Regen but i have yet to test it with my dac-19 10th amanero in NOS however the guy i bought the regen from used it for it's usb reclocking abilities with an AGD Master 11 (very similar to the dac-19 in terms of design, dac chip and dsp) in NOS mode and said it did the trick.

The two more affordable usb reclockers out there that i know of which value reclocking above power filtering (even though they do both and the dac-19 amanero does not pull power for anything from the usb port of the source) that people seem to have luck with in regards to running similar dacs in NOS are the Uptone Audio Regen (preferably the newer 'Amber' version) and the Wyred 4 sound Recovery usb.

http://uptoneaudio.com/products/usb-regen 

https://www.wyred4sound.com/products/digital-converters/recovery

Hope this info is helpful. I'm still learning about such things and experimenting myself. Only had my dac-19 10th anniversary / C-2 11th Anniversary combo for a few months now. I do love it! Been fighting upgraditis lately though in regards to my OTL tube amp, have a Little Dot MK IVse and the urge to upgrade to something Woo Audio has been growing stronger! haha

I can't wait to hear from someone who has one of the new AGD NOS dacs whether it be NOS 7 NOS 11 or NOS 19. Curious what the various NOS modes adjustable through the dsp are changing technically and how that correlates sonically. As per usual, not a lot of info on said subjects on the AGD site. HeHe. Also just how they sound in general and perhaps how they compare sound quality wise to their regular counterparts adjusted to run in NOS. I plan to keep my dac-19 around for quite some time as it is great...i'm sure i will upgrade amps, swap cans in and out in the meantime. Only way i see my upgrading dacs is if i feel the need to go to a full balanced setup or some years from now have the spare $ and just have upgraditis at which point i see me going the HE-7, Master 7, or Yggdrasil route. Sorry i'm rambling now... lazy listening session saturday afternoon pitfall hehe.

Apr 30, 2016 at 6:43 PM Post #1,409 of 1,962
I tried put jumper on PLL (disabled it) and NOS. Also tried SPDIF route. No change, same imbalace again. I will try switch ACSS signal cables tommorow.

Apr 30, 2016 at 10:46 PM Post #1,410 of 1,962
I did not see your exact settings, but I suggest to leave the jumper on BYPASS and not jumper  IPS1 (I assume this is the same as my Master 7) .
This may be not total NOS, probably 2X OS... but is the warmest recommended by Audio GD.
I have a pretty good clock going into my Master 7, and have had phase problems on low res files while the IPS1 was jumpered... as below, everything sounds perfect and I have no phase or imbalance problems.
Good luck, this change was one of the best things I did to my system in the past couple years.... I may jump on the NOS change when Kingwa has it available.. not sure...

BYPASS (JUMPER ON)
DITH       (JUMPER OFF)
IPS1      (JUMPER OFF)
ATT0      (JUMPER ON)
ATT1     (JUMPER ON)     
IPS0      (JUMPER ON)
PLLEN   (JUMPER OFF)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back