New Audio-gd DAC-19 [10th Anniversary Edition]
Feb 12, 2016 at 4:07 AM Post #1,336 of 1,962
I both Onoda win10tablet,and trial USB out.wow.better then CAPS v3,close qa660.its  great  source with silver USB cable

Feb 12, 2016 at 8:44 PM Post #1,337 of 1,962
Mine just arrived a day early... Swapped out my Aune X1s i had been using as a DAC, it was my first desktop dac/amp combo, quickly realized i loved what having a desktop usb dac and proper amplification could do for the way my headphones sounded compared to just a sound card, upgraded my M50x's to some AKG K7xx, fell deeper in love... ordered a little dot mk iv se and snagged some beyer dt990 600 ohm manufaktur and an audio-gd c-2c off the forums... deeper yet (especially the LD MK IVse/DT990 combo)... felt the es9018 in the Aune was pretty good, especially for what i paid but just had a feeling there was room for improvement, thus began the research for a new dac... didn't take long before i was heavily leaning towards an r2r and i really like audio-gd products... set a price range of under $1000 and the dac-19 10th anniversary fell into my cross hairs... got lucky and found one on the forums that was coming from someone who really takes care of his equipment, had the amanero usb upgrade, dual rca out, and was 3 weeks young only being sold because it was getting replaced by a yggy for a couple reason, the main being it's balanced output. But i would consider myself an extremely happy r2r believer. Will setup my Aune X1s and m50x for my father to use, should be quite an upgrade from the onboard soundcard with sony mdr7506 he's currently using.

I was wondering if anyone has played around much with the dsp jumper settings and had anything to comment about regarding the variation in sound from neutral to warm... (which setting, changes you noticed, why you like/disliked it...which hps/amp you were using at the time)
Sorry in advance, i know there is some info in this very thread regarding the topic but have't gotten to it yet, still reading through the entire thread... thought i would try jumping the gun and ask...

So glad i joined the DAC-19 club....know i will be enjoying this baby for a long time to come with my current amps and whatever amp (as of now considering either AGD c-2 11th anniversary or schiit lyr 2) i end up getting to power the planars (leaning towards he-560's or lcd 2 at this point, still researching both the planar hp's and amp to power them with an open mind, suggestions welcome) i intend to get in the next few months as funds become available. Will more than likely get the headphones first and see how my AGD c-2c pushes them, but just have a feeling i'm going to want more juice to really open the planars up, from what i read they seem to get better and better the more power you hit them with.

Anyway, if you've made it this far, thanks for reading the ramblings of an excited newly addicted headphone junky. (always been an avid music lover but mostly just had lower quality setups ... only been the past few months have i decided to indulge and check out this equipment, awwwwwww lordy am i glad i did, hah!)

Feb 13, 2016 at 1:45 AM Post #1,338 of 1,962
  Mine just arrived a day early... Swapped out my Aune X1s i had been using as a DAC, it was my first desktop dac/amp combo, quickly realized i loved what having a desktop usb dac and proper amplification could do for the way my headphones sounded compared to just a sound card, upgraded my M50x's to some AKG K7xx, fell deeper in love... ordered a little dot mk iv se and snagged some beyer dt990 600 ohm manufaktur and an audio-gd c-2c off the forums... deeper yet (especially the LD MK IVse/DT990 combo)... felt the es9018 in the Aune was pretty good, especially for what i paid but just had a feeling there was room for improvement, thus began the research for a new dac... didn't take long before i was heavily leaving towards an r2r and i really like audio-gd produects... set a price range of under $1000 and the dac-19 10th anniversary fell into my crosshairs... got lucky and found one on the forums that was coming from someone who really takes care of his equipment, had the amanero usb upgrade, dual rca out, and was 3 weeks young only being sold because it was getting replaced by a yggy for a couple reason, the main being it's balanced output. But i would consider myself an extremely happy r2r believer. Will setup my Aune X1s and m50x for my father to use, should be quite an upgrade from the onboard soundcard with sony mdr7506 he's currently using.

I was wondering if anyone has played around much with the dsp jumper settings and had anything to comment about regarding the variation in sound from neutral to warm... (which setting, changes you noticed, why you like/disliked it...which hps/amp you were using at the time)
Sorry in advance, i know there is some info in this very thread regarding the topic but have't gotten to it yet, still reading through the entire thread... thought i would try jumping the gun and ask...

So glad i joined the DAC-19 club....know i will be enjoying this baby for a long time to come with my current amps and whatever amp (as of now considering either AGD c-2 11th anniversary or schiit lyr 2) i end up getting to power the planars (leaning towards he-560's or lcd 2 at this point, still researching both the planar hp's and amp to power them with an open mind, suggestions welcome) i intend to get in the next few months as funds become available. Will more than likely get the headphones first and see how my AGD c-2c pushes them, but just have a feeling i'm going to want more juice to really open the planars up, from what i read they seem to get better and better the more power you hit them with.

Anyway, if you've made it this far, thanks for reading the ramblings of an excited newly addicted headphone junky. (always been an avid music lover but mostly just had lower quality setups ... only been the past few months have i decided to indulge and check out this equipment, awwwwwww lordy am i glad i did, hah!)

Using a DAC-19 > Liquid Carbon > TH900 (modded) here. I switched to one of the "middle" warmness jumper settings, and it definitely tamed the sound I was getting a little and made it less aggressive. My system was too forward and in-your-face at the stock setting.

Feb 20, 2016 at 10:47 AM Post #1,339 of 1,962
Thank you to all who are contributing to this thread. Some excellent comments here. 
Does anyone know if the AG D 19 10th anniversary WITH the Amanero usb input REQUIRES the 5v leg of the usb cable? There are some interesting discussion about the Amanero on another thread and there seems to be debate about "some" variants require the 5v and some do not. 

Thank you. 

Feb 21, 2016 at 5:39 AM Post #1,340 of 1,962
  Thank you to all who are contributing to this thread. Some excellent comments here. 
Does anyone know if the AG D 19 10th anniversary WITH the Amanero usb input REQUIRES the 5v leg of the usb cable? There are some interesting discussion about the Amanero on another thread and there seems to be debate about "some" variants require the 5v and some do not. 

Thank you. 

The Audio-GD USB (Amanero, U8 and USB-32) are all powered by internal power supply. The USB cable has no influence in this. Internally the power pins are not connected on the USB connector in the DAC.
This is the Audio-GD Amanero implementation. Other boards, based on Amanero technology exists. They might have power used from external USB.

Feb 21, 2016 at 3:30 PM Post #1,341 of 1,962
While we are on the subject of the Amanero usb board, i was curious if anyone had tried different versions of the windows drivers supplied from both AGD and Amanero, and if so what differences if any were noticed? 

Feb 22, 2016 at 7:36 PM Post #1,344 of 1,962
I wish to thank everyone who commented on the Amanero question in the VERY recent previous posts. I'm under the impression that the Amanero is a significant sonic improvement. 

I have a question for all Dac 19 10th anniversary owners, please. I read a review that implies the Dac 19 10th is a bit lacking in energy and may be considered sleepy. 

To quote a part of the review: 
 Pros:
Very smooth sound with real black silence. A plucked sitar sting has the timbre of of a real sitar string. Same goes with acoustic/percussion instruments as well as vocals.
You will never get tired of listening to music.
Few jumpers on PCB to change sound signature according to your preference.
Joy to listen though headphones, music does not shout in your head.
Really suited for soft acoustic numbers
All in all, its designed to sound like playing a vinyl record. If you like that kind of sound, you will love this DAC.

Cons:
Certainly not neutral, the sound seems colored for a certain taste
Not for hard rock or electronic kind of stuff. Electric guitars and other electronic instruments lack the punch. Can be very soft sounding at times.
You will not like it if you like very noisy music.

I have no bias here. I'm simply seeking opinions from people who have ACTUALLY heard the Dac 19 10th or heard it in their own systems. To me there is a world of difference between not edgy or strident vs sleepy/mellow/soft. I had thought the AG D is simply clear, analog like, not edgy but DOES present all the variety of detail, air and clear treble. Thank you all for your input. Also, please indicate if your experience is headphones or speakers or both. THANK YOU--this is how we learn. I'm about to "pull the trigger" as they say and I'm seeking feedback. 

Feb 22, 2016 at 8:36 PM Post #1,345 of 1,962

I wish to thank everyone who commented on the Amanero question in the VERY recent previous posts. I'm under the impression that the Amanero is a significant sonic improvement. 

[COLOR=0000CD]I have a question for all Dac 19 10th anniversary owners, please[/COLOR]. I read a review that implies the Dac 19 10th is a bit lacking in energy and may be considered sleepy. 

I have no bias here. I'm simply seeking opinions from people who have ACTUALLY heard the Dac 19 10th or heard it in their own systems. To me there is a world of difference between not edgy or strident vs sleepy/mellow/soft. I had thought the AG D is simply clear, analog like, not edgy but DOES present all the variety of detail, air and clear treble. Thank you all for your input. Also, please indicate if your experience is headphones or speakers or both. THANK YOU--this is how we learn. I'm about to "pull the trigger" as they say and I'm seeking feedback. 

I'm using the DAC-19 with a Violectric V220 that feeds both my headphone and speaker setup.

Headphones I have used with the DAC-19:
LCD-X, HD650, ZMF Omni (as of today)

Speakers:
Emotiva Airmotiv 5s active monitors and Martin Logan Dynamo 700w subwoofer

I don't find the DAC-19 lacking energy. I find it natural and almost analog in nature. I think the audiophile hobby has been dominated by ultra-bright and glaring DAC implementations for so long that we assume that's the way music should sound.

It's a slightly warmer DAC, and the PRaT that results is a bit softer compared to the brighter/harder-edged delta-sigma DACs I've owned. Before the DAC-19 I used an Oppo HA-1 and also briefly tried the Bifrost Uber non-multibit. Both those DACs are known to be analytical in sound signature, and I actually found them virtually indistinguishable from one another. I found them both painfully bright and glaring to the point where I'd get listening fatigue after a half hour or so. Upon switching to the 19, I initially thought that the sound was a bit softer and more boring, but on further listening I realized that it wasn't boring at all, I just wasn't used to a DAC that wasn't harsh and digital in nature. Instead, texture, timbre and tonality of instruments is far superior and natural with the 19. It definitely took some adjusting, but I can rock out to speed metal and fast hip-hop without ever thinking the 19 lacks energy. 

Feb 22, 2016 at 9:18 PM Post #1,346 of 1,962
Soundquest,

I love my DAC-19 for hard rock and metal.  Rush, being one of my favorite bands, is my test subject for any new audio component.  "Can it play Rush?", is usually the first thing I ask of any new component.  DAC-19 passed with flying colors.  I've got the old Rush CDs that I bought in the 80s before the loudness wars and endless remasters, so there's no faking it.  Either the DAC has the gumption to handle the dynamic range of those old masters and make me smile to Lakeside Park, Beneath Between and Behind, Cinderella Man, Tom Sawyer, The Body Electric, and others, or it doesn't. I sold my Bifrost Multibit for the DAC-19.  Haven't regretted it for a minute.

As far as metal, I can turn up the volume without my ears bleeding.  I like to listen to metal without my ears bleeding, but maybe I'm the minority.  I listen to pretty much every kind of metal there is.  The thing is, there is definitely a softness to this DAC.  Don't let my admiration of it change that fact for you.  I do like DACs that use good ol Delta-Sigma chips like the AKM 4490 as well, in fact, I like them a lot.  They have a lot of energy and brightness and sound great.  But sometimes it's just too much with that brightness with rock and metal.  Know what I mean?  Do you want to hear the music or feel the music?  It's actually harder to do both than I think people understand.  With my DAC-19 I hear the music.  Maybe it's your state-of-mind as much as anything that will determine whether you prefer the articulate softness of R2R DACs like the DAC-19 or bright, energetic Delta-Sigma DACs.  Hmmm, yeah, I'm definitely the minority.

Feb 23, 2016 at 1:15 AM Post #1,347 of 1,962

I'm using the DAC-19 with a Violectric V220 that feeds both my headphone and speaker setup.

Headphones I have used with the DAC-19:
LCD-X, HD650, ZMF Omni (as of today)

Speakers:
Emotiva Airmotiv 5s active monitors and Martin Logan Dynamo 700w subwoofer

I don't find the DAC-19 lacking energy. I find it natural and almost analog in nature. I think the audiophile hobby has been dominated by ultra-bright and glaring DAC implementations for so long that we assume that's the way music should sound.

It's a slightly warmer DAC, and the PRaT that results is a bit softer compared to the brighter/harder-edged delta-sigma DACs I've owned. Before the DAC-19 I used an Oppo HA-1 and also briefly tried the Bifrost Uber non-multibit. Both those DACs are known to be analytical in sound signature, and I actually found them virtually indistinguishable from one another. I found them both painfully bright and glaring to the point where I'd get listening fatigue after a half hour or so. Upon switching to the 19, I initially thought that the sound was a bit softer and more boring, but on further listening I realized that what my reaction was due to the fact that the music wasn't harsh and digital in nature. Instead, texture, timbre and tonality of instruments is far superior  and natural with the 19. It definitely took some adjusting, but I can listening to some speed metal and fast hip-hop without ever thinking the 19 lacks energy. 

This pretty much mirrors my experience with the HA-1 and Schiit Bifrost Uber.  I sold the Uber, kept the HA-1 based on features.  @Spamateur could have just written my experience with the Dac-19 compared to the HA-1, except my experience is not so polar.  I liked the HA-1, but in comparison, it is significantly brighter than the Dac-19.  Fatigue set in with the HA-1 (or Schiit BFUber or most DS dacs) in an hour and a half or so.  My rig is headphones only, 2011 Macbook Air => Dac-19 => Cavalli Liquid Crimson => Ether C.

Feb 23, 2016 at 6:46 PM Post #1,348 of 1,962

I have a question for all Dac 19 10th anniversary owners, please. I read a review that implies the Dac 19 10th is a bit lacking in energy and may be considered sleepy. 

To quote a part of the review: 

Pros:
Very smooth sound with real black silence. A plucked sitar sting has the timbre of of a real sitar string. Same goes with acoustic/percussion instruments as well as vocals.
You will never get tired of listening to music.
Few jumpers on PCB to change sound signature according to your preference.
Joy to listen though headphones, music does not shout in your head.
Really suited for soft acoustic numbers
All in all, its designed to sound like playing a vinyl record. If you like that kind of sound, you will love this DAC.

Cons:
Certainly not neutral, the sound seems colored for a certain taste
Not for hard rock or electronic kind of stuff. Electric guitars and other electronic instruments lack the punch. Can be very soft sounding at times.
You will not like it if you like very noisy music.

I agree that it's not neutral.  It's got a slightly warm tilt to it.  It's not extreme at all but it's there.  Personally, I like it a lot, but I've never made a secret of that.  :wink:

As to the bit about hard rock and electronic, I couldn't disagree more.  That's a HUGE chunk of my listening and I've got no problems with those genres with the DAC-19.  Certainly, it excels with more natural genres thanks to its more realistic timbres.  But that doesn't mean that's it not "for" other genres.  This seems like a very subjective con, quite possibly linked to the rest of the chain being used.  

Do you have a source for that quote?  I'd be curious to see the rest of the review and what gear was used.

Mar 4, 2016 at 4:41 PM Post #1,349 of 1,962
Hello everyone, long time since I lasted posted on head fi but wanted to thank everyone for the input on the Dac 19.  I just ordered one for my desktop setup yesterday and so very happy and eagerly await to arrive.

Mar 4, 2016 at 5:42 PM Post #1,350 of 1,962
  Hello everyone, long time since I lasted posted on head fi but wanted to thank everyone for the input on the Dac 19.  I just ordered one for my desktop setup yesterday and so very happy and eagerly await to arrive.

Congrats! Excellent choice, and I don't think you'll be disappointed at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back