New Audio-gd DAC-19 [10th Anniversary Edition]
Jan 13, 2016 at 2:35 PM Post #1,246 of 1,962
  And it's really quite dramatic, the difference between DAC-19 and Gumby/Yggy, in my listening thus far. Quite a dramatic difference! It's not a 30-seconds listening, and I know everything about the delta. So I'm going to listen, and enjoy for a while...

... which one? I guess that you were trying to say "going to listen, and enjoy DAC-19 for a while".  And you are positive about DAC-19 in comparison to Gumby?   Your tone was kind of ambiguous to me, so I can only guess. 
tongue.gif

And do keep us updated on you meet with DAC-19/Gumby/Yggy Trio.  
popcorn.gif

Jan 13, 2016 at 2:40 PM Post #1,247 of 1,962
  ... which one? I guess that you were trying to say "going to listen, and enjoy DAC-19 for a while".  And you are positive about DAC-19 in comparison to Gumby?   Your tone was kind of ambiguous to me, so I can only guess. 
tongue.gif

And do keep us updated on you meet with DAC-19/Gumby/Yggy Trio.  
popcorn.gif

Enjoy the DAC-19 listening, of course. I've got to run it through the whole gamut of music and headphones and amps and such. I'm actually starting to get annoyed that it's cold outside and the heater blows too often 
biggrin.gif

Jan 13, 2016 at 6:17 PM Post #1,249 of 1,962

One thing you have to keep in mind with mid-fi products like the BMB and Mojo is that you have a lot of people moving up to it from entry level stuff.  There are also a lot of people moving down to it from the summit-fi stuff, perhaps to use in a second system.  Because of this, you have some people talking it up like it's the best thing since sliced bread (because they haven't heard anything better) and you have some people who aren't particularly impressed (because they have).

I find products like the Mojo and BMB very hard to peg from reading about them.  It's just impossible for me to get a good feel for how they sound when there are such mixed impressions.  I'm going to just have to listen for myself at one point.  Until then, we have to trust people who have heard both the DAC-19 and BMB/Mojo to tell us how they really compare.

I just cancelled my order on the Mojo...too much mixed reviews and I have a gut feeling I will NOT be impressed.  Oddly...not many dac/amps impress me anymore. Mostly my response is a lack of excitement from most new products.  I would love to try the QP1R, but the price is too much to just jump right in and hope it's that good. Even though you say it's worth it. I've spent way too much on stuff lately. The HEX was worth it imho...but many say it's not. But each to their own.

Jan 13, 2016 at 6:30 PM Post #1,250 of 1,962
  After everything I've heard about it, I'm thinking of buying one. Does anyone know if Amanero USB works with Android 5.0 (Note 3) using USB Audio Player Pro?

Best I could test for you would be a Nexus 7, which of course is running the latest/greatest Android.

Jan 13, 2016 at 6:55 PM Post #1,251 of 1,962
The Mojo is very VERY close to the Hugo at 1/4 the cost, but tuned smoother for its intended portable use (which I prefer). Technically it's just as capable as the Hugo at resolving detail in the recording, and some key specs on the Mojo are actually better than the Hugo. Rob Watts and Chord have really brought something special to the audio world IMO and knowing the tech inside it's a steal of a deal at its price. The Mojo doesn't sound the same as the DAC-19 (different presentation) but IMO is not really inferior. I'm glad I've had a chance to listen to both and compare directly.

I'm definately keeping my DAC-19 though, but I am really hoping to be able to keep the Mojo as well. Currawong and myself praise it a lot for good reason.

Jan 13, 2016 at 7:06 PM Post #1,252 of 1,962

I just cancelled my order on the Mojo...too much mixed reviews and I have a gut feeling I will NOT be impressed.  Oddly...not many dac/amps impress me anymore. Mostly my response is a lack of excitement from most new products.  I would love to try the QP1R, but the price is too much to just jump right in and hope it's that good. Even though you say it's worth it. I've spent way too much on stuff lately. The HEX was worth it imho...but many say it's not. But each to their own.

Yeah, totally understood on the QP1R.  Hopefully you can get to a meet at some point to hear one.  What about Canjam Socal in a few months?  And yeah, the HeX isn't bad, but it's at a price point with a lot of competition.  It's gotta beat out the HD800, Ether, LCD-X, Dharma, etc all at a lower price.  I like what I'd heard of it so far, but I don't know which I'd pick out of the headphones I listed there... I mean other than the HD800 I just picked up.  :wink:

The Mojo is very VERY close to the Hugo at 1/4 the cost, but tuned smoother for its intended portable use (which I prefer). Technically it's just as capable as the Hugo at resolving detail in the recording, and some key specs on the Mojo are actually better than the Hugo. Rob Watts and Chord have really brought something special to the audio world IMO and knowing the tech inside it's a steal of a deal at its price. The Mojo doesn't sound the same as the DAC-19 (different presentation) but IMO is not really inferior. I'm glad I've had a chance to listen to both and compare directly.

I'm definately keeping my DAC-19 though, but I am really hoping to be able to keep the Mojo as well. Currawong and myself praise it a lot for good reason.

Yeah, between you and @mscott58 , I believe the Mojo probably sounds really good for the price.  I'd probably have purchased one already if I had any use for a portable DAC/Amp.  But right now, I just don't.  But the point is, I only think it sounds good because people whose ears I trust (you and Michael) like it.

Jan 13, 2016 at 9:40 PM Post #1,254 of 1,962
  Thanks sheldaze, that would be great. If necessary I could use my new Moto X which runs 6.0. 

Hmm...had a hiccup with the software. After restarting Android, sounds great.
I'm only playing 16-bit/44.1kHz at the moment, but it's working 
biggrin.gif

NOTE: There's a volume, which I did not recall having with my last DAC test. It wasn't immediately obvious, but the music was playing very softly. Cranked it up, and sounds good!

Jan 13, 2016 at 10:04 PM Post #1,255 of 1,962
  Hmm...had a hiccup with the software. After restarting Android, sounds great.
I'm only playing 16-bit/44.1kHz at the moment, but it's working 
biggrin.gif

NOTE: There's a volume, which I did not recall having with my last DAC test. It wasn't immediately obvious, but the music was playing very softly. Cranked it up, and sounds good!

Thanks! I guess I do not have an excuse not to go ahead and get one. Except, should I wait to save more and buy the Master11?

Jan 14, 2016 at 12:04 AM Post #1,256 of 1,962
  Thanks! I guess I do not have an excuse not to go ahead and get one. Except, should I wait to save more and buy the Master11?

Well you already have an LC, which pairs really well with the DAC-19.  There's always that need for more, but I don't know if moving up to the M-11 is going to give you THAT much more.  Tho, I'd love to find out myself, personally!  lol

Jan 14, 2016 at 12:33 AM Post #1,257 of 1,962
Funny you say you just picked up a pair of hd800's too.
I grabbed a new pair today. And only because they were a good price.
I still like my hex better than the hd800's. The comfort of the hex is better imho, and overall just have a more enjoyable sound signature. But.... Neither are sounding their best since I'm using a HEK balanced cable on the HEX... Surely better than the SE cables that the hex comes with. But am just using a stock SE cable on the HD800 until I get a norne audio druig2 which truly does make a difference. One way of saying it is that the draug2 makes cable non believers a believer indeed. It's a dramatic difference especially with the hd800. I have dabbled many hours with the hd800 with and without the draug2 and finally getting a pair to add to my collection. And my HeX is getting a draug2 made for it as balanced 4pin as well. Both of these headphones sound insanely good on my m11 as its really like the big brother to the dac19. A similar sound signature.
How strange I end up selling my he560's... They were soooo comfy yet not really the sound signature I was after. Albeit the mods I did to my pair made a great difference imho.

As far as a portable option, I now have heard the qp1r and the mojo are choices that would be considered high end. What would be closest to the dac19 sound? I really should not have cancelled my order on the mojo? But if I can find one for under 500 I might consider it. I did the massdrop for 560 or whatever. I decided it wasn't a good enough deal and backed out. Why? I haven't heard it before and there are too many mixed reviews.
I do not like schiit sound, and tend to love the r2r sound from audio-gd. What do I do... The daps I have on order don't really excite me... Echobox explorer, centrance hifiskyn. That's it. I cancelled all the high end solutions as I had this idea in my head I could never enjoy critical listening on the go. Maybe that was a wise choice. But I am considering to sell my wife's nfb-28 and get her something really good that is on par with the dac19 or better. I need to listen to some new gear! :)

Jan 14, 2016 at 12:37 AM Post #1,258 of 1,962
Well you already have an LC, which pairs really well with the DAC-19.  There's always that need for more, but I don't know if moving up to the M-11 is going to give you THAT much more.  Tho, I'd love to find out myself, personally!  lol

Well, my opinion is.... Hahaha
I love my master 11. No regrets!!!

It drives all headphones soooo well. And the main difference over the dac19 is slight improvement in detail and more than subtle to medium improvement in soundstage. Is it worth it? You have to listen and decide.
My opinion is my opinion.

There is nothing bad to say about the dac19! It takes up less desk space too! :wink:

Jan 14, 2016 at 1:31 AM Post #1,259 of 1,962
As far as a portable option, I now have heard the qp1r and the mojo are choices that would be considered high end. What would be closest to the dac19 sound? I really should not have cancelled my order on the mojo? But if I can find one for under 500 I might consider it. I did the massdrop for 560 or whatever. I decided it wasn't a good enough deal and backed out. Why? I haven't heard it before and there are too many mixed reviews.

Have you considered getting a soekris dac1101 ?

Jan 14, 2016 at 3:50 AM Post #1,260 of 1,962
Well, my opinion is.... Hahaha
I love my master 11. No regrets!!!

It drives all headphones soooo well. And the main difference over the dac19 is slight improvement in detail and more than subtle to medium improvement in soundstage. Is it worth it? You have to listen and decide.
My opinion is my opinion.

There is nothing bad to say about the dac19! It takes up less desk space too!
wink.gif

This is not helping me (make a decision or save money)!  :wink:

Well, I've decided to go ahead with the DAC-19. One reason is the smaller footprint since I like to listen to music in bed before falling asleep, another is the price. But the primary reason is so that I can keep the dream (of a Master11 in my future) alive. :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back