New Audio-gd DAC-19 [10th Anniversary Edition]
Apr 3, 2015 at 1:11 PM Post #16 of 1,962

Well, that's one way to think about it.  Others have stated (loudly and often) than R2R is superior in every way if implemented well.  The resolution and detail of D-S with the musicality of R2R.  In fact, Purrin thinks that the Master 7 is a best-of-both-worlds device when setup properly.  Since this is made by the same person and uses the same chip (although in a different configuration), it stands to reason that it may also be a good balance between the two.

And that's why I was asking how the sound of the two compare.

EDIT - I've never been able to compare R2R to D-S so it's hard for me comment, I'm just going off what I read.  I did hear the Yggy and CanJam for over an hour and it was both detailed and musical.  Unfortunately, it's out of my price range right now.

Well I heard and compared to my NFB-7, the Audio-gd REF7.1 & REF5.32 and some very expensive Naim DAC's and players that all use the PCM1704 chip and still prefer the NFB-7. Part of the reason for this is I like the more assertive, vibrant and dymanic sound that the Sabre32, all other things being equal, generally does better. In comparison PCM1704 DAC's have a more laid back softer sound which I do not prefer.
There is nothing wrong with that type of sound, just like there is nothing wrong with tube amps if that is what you like (but the myth that tube amps are inherently better than SS died a long time ago)

Obviously Purrin's tastes and mine differ which brings me back to my original point.

Apr 3, 2015 at 1:18 PM Post #17 of 1,962

Well I heard and compared to my NFB-7, the Audio-gd REF7.1 & REF5.32 and some very expensive Naim DAC's and players that all use the PCM1704 chip and still prefer the NFB-7. Part of the reason for this is I like the more assertive, vibrant and dymanic sound that the Sabre32, all other things being equal, generally does better. In comparison PCM1704 DAC's have a more laid back softer sound which I do not prefer.
There is nothing wrong with that type of sound, just like there is nothing wrong with tube amps if that is what you like (but the myth that tube amps are inherently better than SS died a long time ago)

Obviously Purrin's tastes and mine differ which brings me back to my original point.

I totally respect that.  It's good to hear a differing opinion, to be honest.  When "everyone" says the same thing, I tend to get suspicious.

But I have definitely heard some of the negatives that Purrin points out... the "digital" highs in some songs, the "one-note" bass in others.  It doesn't bother me terribly, and the NFB-28 is certainly the best DAC I've owned by a long shot.  But I'm curious about R2R since it does get so much hype.

*sigh* It's too bad that it's still so expensive.  

Apr 4, 2015 at 1:15 AM Post #18 of 1,962

From some impression. The ygg is pretty bright

Apr 6, 2015 at 1:01 PM Post #19 of 1,962
I have a dac 19 dsp with te8802 psu A usb module connected to pre 2.2 and its a freaking good sounding solution imo. And i have had far far more expensive dacs before.

Get this stuff before its out of stock. Its a bargain.

Its small and nimble to. I like the engineering timeless design too. I will keep it till i die. Hopefully will be able to upgrade usb in future if needed.

Apr 6, 2015 at 1:27 PM Post #20 of 1,962
I have a dac 19 dsp with te8802 psu A usb module connected to pre 2.2 and its a freaking good sounding solution imo. And i have had far far more expensive dacs before.

Its small and nimble to. I like the engineering timeless design too. I will keep it till i die. Hopefully will be able to upgrade usb in future if needed.

Can you please explain this part:  "with te8802 psu A usb module connected to pre 2.2 "? 

Apr 6, 2015 at 5:17 PM Post #21 of 1,962

Can you please explain this part:  "with te8802 psu A usb module connected to pre 2.2 "? 

Audio gd once sold a te8802 usb board. As upgrade for te7702 or something as i recall. To get asynch transfer. Thats what their usb32 module in the new dac 19 does. Its a diy project with some soldering.
I had an xo on that. And for power supply i used a small audio gd psu a kit; a small class a power supply. Could all fit in the case.

The preamp is a 2.2 single ended version. I think they got something similar today.

Apr 13, 2015 at 8:52 AM Post #22 of 1,962
I think there is a significant difference between a good R2R implementation vs the DS. When i started my journey, i never knew there existed two schools of thought, i was merely trying various dacs that were all unique but still similar in some form (DS implementation). Over a period of time i started getting a bit sensitive to the digital glare as my overall signal chain improved and got more revealing. Currently i use the Audio-GD Compass 2(Sabre version)/ schiit bifrost. I also wanted to try an r2r dac but didnt have the heart or the dough to shell out on audio-gd m7. Came in Teradak NOS V3.1d, it uses 8 TDA1543 chips and has pretty decent following. The TDA 1543 is also an r2r chip but probably not in the same league as PCM 1704. The guy i bought it from was upgrading to a audio-gd m7. Having a/b my current dacs and the teradak i can tell you that the the vocal tone and its weight is much much better on the teradak vs the compass 2/ bifrost. However, I think the ds dacs are more dynamic, hence the trade off. Honestly, i listen to my teradak more now a days and i only switch occasionally to reconfirm :). It seems the M7 is a decent balance but even in the used market it goes for 1500, which is a lot of money. I think i very happy with the teradak at one tenth the price and it beats my compass 2/ bifrost by a margin on few things that i prefer

Apr 13, 2015 at 9:02 AM Post #23 of 1,962
I think there is a significant difference between a good R2R implementation vs the DS. When i started my journey, i never knew there existed two schools of thought, i was merely trying various dacs that were all unique but still similar in some form (DS implementation). Over a period of time i started getting a bit sensitive to the digital glare as my overall signal chain improved and got more revealing. Currently i use the Audio-GD Compass 2(Sabre version)/ schiit bifrost. I also wanted to try an r2r dac but didnt have the heart or the dough to shell out on audio-gd m7. Came in Teradak NOS V3.1d, it uses 8 TDA1543 chips and has pretty decent following. The TDA 1543 is also an r2r chip but probably not in the same league as PCM 1704. The guy i bought it from was upgrading to a audio-gd m7. Having a/b my current dacs and the teradak i can tell you that the the vocal tone and its weight is much much better on the teradak vs the compass 2/ bifrost. However, I think the ds dacs are more dynamic, hence the trade off. Honestly, i listen to my teradak more now a days and i only switch occasionally to reconfirm :). It seems the M7 is a decent balance but even in the used market it goes for 1500, which is a lot of money. I think i very happy with the teradak at one tenth the price and it beats my compass 2/ bifrost by a margin on few things that i prefer

did u happen to have the teradak pcm63?

Apr 13, 2015 at 9:56 AM Post #24 of 1,962
no, mine is based on TDA 1543. I later saw on their website that they have a pcm63. Having read on the yuggy forums it seems that mike regards it to be the best ever chip for DA conversion. 

Apr 14, 2015 at 3:23 AM Post #25 of 1,962
Guys,

Thinking in pulling trigger on this....According to audiogd this is their best designed single ended DAC with technology from Master 7...I am currently using ifi microdsd... will audiogd will be an upgrade over Ifi for using it only as DAC to a pair of  stereo speakers ?
 Any comments will be much appreciated.
 Thanks..

Apr 14, 2015 at 5:00 AM Post #26 of 1,962
Considering to pair DAC-19 with AGD C-2 Class A headphone amplifier, but their faceplates are not matching... 
redface.gif
  Same width 24 cm, but not the same style.
Anyone has experience with AGD C-2 Class A? I couldn't find review about it.

Thanks!

Apr 14, 2015 at 12:25 PM Post #27 of 1,962
Sorry, I don't have a ton of info on this one yet.  From the spec sheet, it should be a pretty big upgrade over the ifi.  But I don't have firsthand experience.

The C-2 Class A should pair well with it, especially if you use the ACSS interconnects.

Apr 15, 2015 at 3:11 AM Post #28 of 1,962
Here you go

http://www.head-fi.org/t/483899/review-of-the-audio-gd-dac-19-dsp-c2-amp-the-acss-connection

I have a DAC-19 DSP and C2.2 Amp with ACSS 'Double Helix' interconnects driving Sen HD650's in my home office. Great sound and pairing

My main system is Audio-GD Master 7 DAC and Master 10 Balanced Amp with ACSS 'Double Helix' interconnects driving Magnepan 3.7R's with
Tellurium  Black speaker cables again great sound

frizzup

Apr 15, 2015 at 4:39 AM Post #29 of 1,962
  Here you go

http://www.head-fi.org/t/483899/review-of-the-audio-gd-dac-19-dsp-c2-amp-the-acss-connection

I have a DAC-19 DSP and C2.2 Amp with ACSS 'Double Helix' interconnects driving Sen HD650's in my home office. Great sound and pairing

My main system is Audio-GD Master 7 DAC and Master 10 Balanced Amp with ACSS 'Double Helix' interconnects driving Magnepan 3.7R's with
Tellurium  Black speaker cables again great sound

frizzup

Wow excellent review! Thanks a lot! 
bigsmile_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back