New Audio-gd DAC-19 [10th Anniversary Edition]
Oct 5, 2015 at 3:05 AM Post #871 of 1,962
Well, it is pretty great :)
I love R2R with planars and the DAC19 is no exception.
I also love it with all the other headphones :D

Oct 5, 2015 at 4:24 AM Post #873 of 1,962
How is it when using the DAC-19 to feed electrostatic and planar magnetic headphones? assuming the amp is properly selected for the targeted headphones like STAX and LCD or HIFI Man.

The better the headphone (and amp) the better one can appreciate the subtle details the DAC-19 can dig out of the track.

Oct 5, 2015 at 4:44 PM Post #874 of 1,962
Has anyone compared the SQ out of the DAC-19 vs the Pono player?

What would be an R2R equivalent in a DAP?

Oct 5, 2015 at 4:59 PM Post #875 of 1,962
Has anyone compared the SQ out of the DAC-19 vs the Pono player?

What would be an R2R equivalent in a DAP?

I haven't heard the Pono but extrapolating what I've read I'd say the Pono can't hold a candle to the DAC-19 for natural detail retrieval. The Pono may sound very detailed but the way that I find Delta-Sigma reproduces the original signal the details are actual very fake sounding in comparison. When a string vibrates you really hear it (almost feel it) on the DAC-19. It really does sound much more natural and real. I was completely surprised and gob smacked when I first heard the difference a good R-2R implementation can make, and I couldn't believe that I was thinking I had heard good DACs before.

Keep in mind that you need some pretty resolving headphones and a transparent amp to really take advantage of the difference.

As far as DAPs that's a good question. The HM801 uses the same DAC chip but it has a much less sophisticated power supply which is very important. Also the HiFi E.T. MA9 with the PCM1704, and the HM6xx series (different R-2R DAC). Of course there is also the Tera Player which is ridiculously priced right now. Those that have the Tera Player absolutely love the sound even with all the shortcomings of the player (like no screen and WAV only playback). Manufactures have moved away from R-2R because of the costs associated with it. It's MUCH cheaper to use Delta-Sigma and also much smaller footprint for the implementation.

It's really too bad that music fidelity lost out to cheaper manufacturing and implementation.

Oct 6, 2015 at 1:20 AM Post #876 of 1,962
Schiit nearly bit off more than they could chew with the Yggy, Gumby, and now Bumby/Bimby? They used three different R2R chips that have never been used for audio devices before. They aren't lying when they say these chips are used for the military and medical industry due to the most stringent standards and accuracy. Major kudos to them for doing what other DAC manufacturers wouldn't poke with a stick due to R&D and cost. Schiit had it all planned though with their swappable boards. I'm willing to bet that there will be a Yggy upgrade within the next year.

Oct 6, 2015 at 2:20 AM Post #877 of 1,962

Interesting. With 4 PCM1704-UK chips instead of just 2, the DAC Lite-83 is supposed to perform better than the DAC-19 if everything else had been done at the same quality level. It does not have anywhere bear the impression of review that the DAC-19 has, it probably had been done not so well somewhere, not just marketing gimmick or user biases.  

Comparisons I've read in the past between the Lite DAC-83 and the Audio-GD Reference 5 tend to go in favor of the Reference 5 most of the time. It's basically the balanced DAC-19 with 4x PCM1704UK chips.

P.S. @junnyzhu has a Reference 5.32 in the classifieds right now for less than a DAC-19. You won't get Amanero, but it is the previous USB implementation.

Oct 7, 2015 at 5:18 AM Post #878 of 1,962
For October Audio-GD is offering a free Xmos U8 upgrade for the DAC-19 if the customer asks for it. They still consider the Amanero upgrade to be better quality.

http://www.audio-gd.com/En%20audio-gd.htm

Oct 8, 2015 at 12:23 AM Post #879 of 1,962
Bimmer,

So basic question for me would be, having been following these threads on the 10th anniversary edition of the dac-19, a guy who has the c2c with the dac-19 powering  a pair of denon 7000's that were all purchased in 2009 find any appreciable upgrade in the already excellent sound of the combo by a lateral purchase of the 10th and 11th anniversary models of the same, with Amenero upgrade and rj45 hookup? If just to make sure that when the ones I have when they break down I have something to replace them before the 250 of the mk19 are sold? From what I surmise it is just the jacks available pretty much. TIA, BRGDS, (Totally happy with the sound now, but more happiness is always good.) Apologize if this post is out of sequence.

patrick

Oct 8, 2015 at 12:51 AM Post #880 of 1,962
Bimmer,

So basic question for me would be, having been following these threads on the 10th anniversary edition of the dac-19, a guy who has the c2c with the dac-19 powering  a pair of denon 7000's that were all purchased in 2009 find any appreciable upgrade in the already excellent sound of the combo by a lateral purchase of the 10th and 11th anniversary models of the same, with Amenero upgrade and rj45 hookup? If just to make sure that when the ones I have when they break down I have something to replace them before the 250 of the mk19 are sold? TIA, BRGDS, (Totally happy with the sound now, but more happiness is always good.) Apologize if this post is out of sequence.

patrick

I haven't heard your set up. Still, I'm guessing minimal to no appreciable improvement. Don't let that stop you though!

Oct 8, 2015 at 3:32 AM Post #881 of 1,962
Detailed review of the DAC-19 (10th anniversary).

http://www.qobuz.com/GB-en/info/Hi-Res-Guide/Audio-gd-DAC-19-three-Qobuzisms177649

Oct 9, 2015 at 1:31 AM Post #882 of 1,962
fyi, they are back to work after the long holidays.

My first email (end of Sep.) to them did not get response. I sent them again this evening and got response after about 2 hours. Just as aamefford and Lukeap69 said how they process the emails they received.

Ordered DAC-19 with the Amanero USB. They use DHL charging $50 to ship it to US. Hope I can get a good unit without any defect within 2 weeks.

Oct 9, 2015 at 6:07 AM Post #883 of 1,962

My first email (end of Sep.) to them did not get response. I sent them again this evening and got response after about 2 hours. Just as aamefford and Lukeap69 said how they process the emails they received.

Ordered DAC-19 with the Amanero USB. They use DHL charging $50 to ship it to US. Hope I can get a good unit without any defect within 2 weeks.

Gratz.

Should be faster than that I reckon.

Oct 9, 2015 at 7:21 AM Post #884 of 1,962

Oct 9, 2015 at 10:42 AM Post #885 of 1,962
Gratz.

Should be faster than that I reckon.

They said they would ship it the following day. I guess 1 week is enough.

If they can pay DHL $50 to ship it from China to US, it does not make sense for people in US to ship it back to China at $100. I don't know the shipping cost in other countries. But I had asked UPS people about shipping cost, they told me for small package USPS is the cheapest way to go. For large box items UPS charge cheaper than USPS. Fedex may be a little more expensive. For extra large bulky items like billiards table, you have to look for some specialty courier. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back