New Audeze "Prototype-Z"!
Jan 12, 2015 at 10:18 AM Post #273 of 455
my guess is they have taken some of our initial reaction feedback and are refining the design to take that into account.  they are probably also looking into how they may be able to leverage some of the production savy of the new EL-8 into the Z in order to reduce weight and lower production cost.  If it pretends to be their new flagship it needs to not only improve upon the sound but also address the comfort and weight issues.  i suspect they are increasing their engineering effort to address these issues. they would be better off releasing something truly great and perhaps a little later than something mediocre and quickly. 

Jan 12, 2015 at 10:33 AM Post #274 of 455
  yeah "better" is always in the ears of the beholder

precisely 
I'd say the LCD-3F is "better" for me overall - but, sometimes when I'm wearing my HD800s I think to myself DAMN, these are freakin' amazing.

Mike, I have been deliberating whether to give the Abyss a go in my system and today spent the entire day with a friend's Abyss. Compared to the LCD-3F I am resolutely in the LCD-3F camp, I much preferred it for its ability to convey the emotion and the subtle nuances in music. Involved me deeply in the music, with the Abyss I felt disconnected from the performance. His musical tastes are very different to mine (electronic, Japanese etc). He had not heard the 3F only the 3 but owns the LCD-XC and was very surprised at how much better the 3F is. In fact we ended up using the 3F 90% of the time to do a large 300B comparison.

Reminded me of the previous comments you have made about the Abyss not moving you. Glad I have done the exercise for myself now.

Jan 12, 2015 at 1:45 PM Post #276 of 455

I'm impressed by everything in this picture 
beerchug.gif

Jan 12, 2015 at 3:18 PM Post #277 of 455
isquirrel,

Read this on Flagship Headphones.  I think you might lean even more toward LCD's.

Jan 12, 2015 at 5:16 PM Post #278 of 455
I hope that will come out soon, my amp current not wait to play them , then who has tried to say that they have improved the headstage , not a small thing .
I just hope not cost more than the 3 ...

Jan 13, 2015 at 10:42 AM Post #280 of 455
I need a bigger piggy bank!
Can someone change this site to money-bye.org? It's more relevant than head-fi.org!:japanese_ogre:

:)) Indeed a better name. After all that was announced to appear this year, I noticed that my salary isn't enough. Must persuade my wife to get a second job :))

*just kidding :))

Jan 13, 2015 at 12:24 PM Post #281 of 455
So $699 for the EL-8 and the pre-order is open.  Not too bad on the pricing Audeze.  Well done.  I had no idea they were even working on a more budget conscious headphone.

Now just keep that pricing low on the new "Z" flagship and I may have to rejoin the Audeze family. 
smile.gif

Jan 13, 2015 at 3:13 PM Post #282 of 455

Mike, I have been deliberating whether to give the Abyss a go in my system and today spent the entire day with a friend's Abyss. Compared to the LCD-3F I am resolutely in the LCD-3F camp, I much preferred it for its ability to convey the emotion and the subtle nuances in music. Involved me deeply in the music, with the Abyss I felt disconnected from the performance. His musical tastes are very different to mine (electronic, Japanese etc). He had not heard the 3F only the 3 but owns the LCD-XC and was very surprised at how much better the 3F is. In fact we ended up using the 3F 90% of the time to do a large 300B comparison.

Reminded me of the previous comments you have made about the Abyss not moving you. Glad I have done the exercise for myself now.

I am also impressed by everything.  That rug really ties the room together as well.

Jan 13, 2015 at 3:40 PM Post #283 of 455
  isquirrel,

Read this on Flagship Headphones.  I think you might lean even more toward LCD's.

Great article, very informative, I learnt a lot. 

Thank you.

Jan 13, 2015 at 6:09 PM Post #285 of 455
  Ill have the LCD3F soon for long listening sessions! Cant wait 
beerchug.gif

Im kinda scared that it might be better than HD800. Ill have to buy it if is. 
cool.gif

As a head fier, it's perfectly ok to have more than one great headphone. I know I have no guilt feeling owning both the HD800 and LCD3F.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back