New Audeze LCD3
Aug 20, 2013 at 6:45 PM Post #8,101 of 11,521
Quote:
Let's face it, you are talking about a somewhat boutique item. Most people's cars lose value more than $2000 in a year. I don't go buying a Ferrari even if I could theoretically barely pay it. 
biggrin.gif

And seriously, even if in the future they don't yet again extend the warranty, how much are new drivers going to cost anyway? I doubt they are going to slap some $500 fee for it.

Yea let's hope that there won't be driver failures for working models to begin with. The only we can find about their policy and rate is after the 3 year warranty, which all the LCD-3's should be currently under. 

Also, money aside I don't like the idea of getting used to a particular driver and then having to change the sound you are used to. I hated when my HE-500 went out and I got the new ones. Burn in took a long time to get it back to it and even then I never liked my second pair as much as my first pair. Although Audeze's have a better SQ control in this regard, so who knows.

Aug 20, 2013 at 7:49 PM Post #8,102 of 11,521
SR007s is an easier fix. The cable is crap at the ironically called "strain relief" points. You can get dudes to replace your cable or even buy a replacement. SR009s screw* up bad, it's the drivers. Even so I have the former and ordered the latter. Life is a b**** if it dies on me.

Solude you should get the SR007s (MKIs of course) on a nowadays DAC like the PWD2 and other recent gear. My LCD-3s are getting bored in a corner at the moment.

I also agree with was said that if the LCD-3s don't go bad in the first few weeks, they're very likely not a reason to worry. I am sure because I said this, the eventual someone is going to report differently. :)

Aug 20, 2013 at 8:34 PM Post #8,104 of 11,521
Quote:
So what's the real issue or the real dislike with the 007 mk2s?

+1 I keep hearing that the mkI is the way to go. BTW what are the street prices for mkI and mkii used?

Aug 20, 2013 at 8:35 PM Post #8,105 of 11,521
Quote:
So what's the real issue or the real dislike with the 007 mk2s?

They tried to reduce the fart and in the process messed up the sound... It has a midbass hump that should not be there.

Aug 20, 2013 at 8:44 PM Post #8,107 of 11,521
Quote:

They're reeling you in.   They already got me....
biggrin.gif

Not that I am at ease saying this as it got my into a deep rabbit hole. The transparency alone puts them above dynamics, they just melt into the music. In a modern rig the MKIs have sort of both of best worlds, an awesome combination of the clarity and accuracy more similar to the HD800s and the transients, decay, and bass impact towards the LCD-3s. The bass quality is more similar to that of the HD800s, with stronger impact.

In practice it is absolutely awesome with acoustic music and gives a run for the money with classical music to the HD800s (I still give the HD800s the edge with classical, because of the greater soundstage). However take modern genres and the SR007s transients and laser decays kills the LCD-3s all the while maintaining better clarity and soundstaging. It's still a warm tinted headphone and that makes it not fatiguing. You do need a system that can put out a lot of energy, focus and attack.

Aug 20, 2013 at 8:53 PM Post #8,108 of 11,521
Quote:

Not that I am at ease saying this as it got my into a deep rabbit hole. The transparency alone puts them above dynamics, they just melt into the music. In a modern rig the MKIs have sort of both of best worlds, an awesome combination of the clarity and accuracy more similar to the HD800s and the transients, decay, and bass impact towards the LCD-3s. The bass quality is more similar to that of the HD800s, with stronger impact.

In practice it is absolutely awesome with acoustic music and gives a run for the money with classical music to the HD800s (I still give the HD800s the edge with classical, because of the greater soundstage). However take modern genres and the SR007s transients and laser decays kills the LCD-3s all the while maintaining better clarity and soundstaging. It's still a warm tinted headphone and that makes it not fatiguing. You do need a system that can put out a lot of energy, focus and attack.

Is the bass actually that close to LCD-3's? How would it do for electronic, hip hop and jazz?

Aug 20, 2013 at 8:56 PM Post #8,109 of 11,521
Hell yeah. For example I prefer Infected Mushrooms with the SR007s. It doesn't beat the LCD-3s in overall bass quality or quantity, those still win the round, but it's damn close. Closer than any other headphone I've heard to the LCD-3s.  The bass signature is more towards the HD800s, but with stronger impact. Sort of how I wish the HD800s were to begin with, without that famous rolloff below 100hz. :)  It's the transparency, clarity and soundstage presentation that puts the SR007s above the LCD3-s. Whenever I switch back to the LCD-3s they feel a bit cramped in and muddy. This is with the exact same amp, cause my setup allows that, but it's fair ground for all, including speakers.

Mentioning speakers my horns are the soundstaging presentation checkpoint, nothing touches that, not even the HD800s. Unfortunately Audeze have big improvments to make here. LCD-4s wishlist anyone?

Aug 20, 2013 at 9:10 PM Post #8,110 of 11,521
Quote:
Hell yeah. For example I prefer Infected Mushrooms with the SR007s. It doesn't beat the LCD-3s in overall bass quality, those still win that round, but it's damn close. Closer than any other headphone I've heard to the LCD-3s. The bass signature is more towards the HD800s, but with stronger impact. Sort of how I wish the HD800s were to begin with, without that famous rolloff below 100hz. :)  It's the transparency, clarity and soundstage presentation that puts the SR007s above the LCD3-s. Whenever I switch back to the LCD-3s they feel a bit cramped in and muddy. This is with the exact same amp, cause my setup allows that, but it's fair ground for all, including speakers.

Mentioning speakers my horns are the soundstaging presentation checkpoint, nothing touches that, not even the HD800s. Unfortunately Audeze have big improvments to make here. LCD-4s wishlist anyone?

Thanks. I agree that Audeze (and Hifiman) can push the envelope much further in comparison to the clarity that I get from speakers (which coincidentally also use horns). Increase in transparency would definitely be welcoming. Even off a BHA-1/BHA-2 rig, I saw a crap load of room for improvement despite a fun sound. Although I haven't tried stuff like the GS-X mkII so who knows, but yeah if the SR-007 can maintain decent bass then for sure it'll be on my list.

Hopefully I'll be able to try a pair out soon at a meet because I don't see a Stax dealer locally here in Toronto (unless someone knows of one?)

Aug 20, 2013 at 9:25 PM Post #8,111 of 11,521
Quote:
Hopefully I'll be able to try a pair out soon at a meet because I don't see a Stax dealer locally here in Toronto (unless someone knows of one?)

Yeah, I should have probably skipped the last meet. 
ksc75smile.gif
 I was impressed by a few Stax headphones in really good rigs and I strived ( and still am) to get there. I am happy where I got to at the moment with more to come in the next months. That's also the bummer. :) (P.S.: The only other dynamic headphones that impressed me were the HE-6s. Maybe someday I will rig them up on a high-end speaker amp).

My last surviving dynamic headphones are the LCD-3s at the moment, so they have won the rounds for me. I ultimately found that you cant have a single dynamic configuration that is optimal with both the HD800s and the LCD-3s at the same time. It cannot happen.

Aug 20, 2013 at 9:33 PM Post #8,112 of 11,521
Quote:

Yeah, I should have probably skipped the last meet. 
ksc75smile.gif
 I was impressed by a few Stax headphones in really good rigs and I strived ( and still am) to get there. I am happy where I got to at the moment with more to come in the next months. That's also the bummer. :) (P.S.: The only other dynamic headphones that impressed me were the HE-6s. Maybe someday I will rig them up on a high-end speaker amp).

My last surviving dynamic headphones are the LCD-3s at the moment, so they have won the rounds for me. I ultimately found that you cant have a single dynamic configuration that is optimal with both the HD800s and the LCD-3s at the same time. It cannot happen.

Yea the HE-6 is on my list to try along with the TH-900 and HD800 (maybe a T1). More hifiman to come in the next year so who knows maybe something better than a HE-6. I don't know when Stax will happen. Definitely not going to order a Stax before listening. Hopefully at a meet, someone will be able to bring one. Probably best for my wallet that way.

Aug 20, 2013 at 9:43 PM Post #8,113 of 11,521
Quote:
happened to me last month....call Audeze....you will find them very responsive

Got an RMA# today.  They must be really busy because this took 2 business days.

How did you pack yours up?  The form says not to use the wooden box.  So I am thinking of using my travel box.  Seems like the best way to ensure they aren't damaged during shipping. 

Aug 20, 2013 at 9:43 PM Post #8,114 of 11,521
Thanks. I agree that Audeze (and Hifiman) can push the envelope much further in comparison to the clarity that I get from speakers (which coincidentally also use horns). Increase in transparency would definitely be welcoming. Even off a BHA-1/BHA-2 rig, I saw a crap load of room for improvement despite a fun sound. Although I haven't tried stuff like the GS-X mkII so who knows, but yeah if the SR-007 can maintain decent bass then for sure it'll be on my list.

I had recently tried the below combo at a show: 009+WES, HE6+EF6, LCD3+BHA1 and the difference is quite apparent - 009+WES win by a clear margin except bass, followed by LCD3+BHA1, which I like considerably more than HE6+EF6.

Not sure if I m biased towards the LCD3 as a owner, I do feel its performance is still limited by the BHA1 and should be very close to the 009+sr727 or 007 if the LCD3 is paired with say the HPA21. I was rather tempted to go with 009+007 combo before the show but decided maybe I can get the HPA21 to see how much further it can take the LCD3.

HE6+EF6 is also very nice especially for its price. Really transparent and with good timbre and I look forward to try their next iteration's flagship.

Aug 20, 2013 at 9:53 PM Post #8,115 of 11,521
Quote:

Took about two months there and back for my 007 recable when it came off it's posts so to speak.

The LCD-3 is usually broken right out of the box or good for life in my experience.  Problem is my experience is 1 of 2 LCD-2 Rev1 failure, 0 of 2 LCD-2 Rev2 failure, 1 of 2 LCD-3 failure.

Good news...we now have a local Stax distributor in Canada:

http://plurison.com/index_en.htm

FWIW, I've had my LCD-3s since their release in late 2011...no issues.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back