New Audeze LCD3
Jul 20, 2013 at 9:25 PM Post #7,861 of 11,521
Jul 20, 2013 at 9:51 PM Post #7,863 of 11,521
Quick question, how does the Soloist pair with the LCD-3 in comparison to V200 and Mjolnir around the same price?

EDIT: Just wanted to mention the Soloist because even though the amp sections are the same on both Soloist and Conductor, some people are finding differences in the amp section...just throwing it out there.

Jul 20, 2013 at 9:53 PM Post #7,864 of 11,521
Quote:
Quick question, how does the Soloist pair with the LCD-3 in comparison to V200 and Mjolnir around the same price?

LCD-3s on the V200 is a no-no. That's a dark sounding amp, it doesn't help them. The other two yes. Soloist/Mjolnir, it's two criteria:
- what can you find the cheapest
- do you want to go balanced?

Jul 20, 2013 at 10:30 PM Post #7,867 of 11,521
Quote:
I vote for the Mjolnir with both LCDs...  You can find them now used for under $600

Can you describe the sound of the LCD-3 on the Mjolnir vs the Emotiva mini-x-a-100 or GS-X mkII. Earlier you told me that Emotiva can only get louder in comparison to the GS-X, so was wondering where the Mjolnir fits in as a reference. I'd really like to know about the sound between Emotiva and Mjolnir. Not gonna bother with asking about GS-X as you along with others already found that to be top notch.

LOL I am all over the place with my budget and what I might get and when I might get. With amps ranging from Mjolnir to Soloist to Conductor to GS-X mkII to Liquid Gold? 
eek.gif

I might get a HD800 later on, but could very well go for speakers instead.

Jul 20, 2013 at 10:32 PM Post #7,868 of 11,521
Quote:

Can you describe the sound of the LCD-3 on the Mjolnir vs the Emotiva mini-x-a-100 or GS-X mkII. Earlier you told me that Emotiva can only get louder in comparison to the GS-X, so was wondering where the Mjolnir fits in as a reference. I'd really like to know about the sound between Emotiva and Mjolnir. Not gonna bother with asking about GS-X as you along with others already found that to be top notch.

LOL I am all over the place with my budget and what I might get and when I might get. With amps ranging from Mjolnir to Soloist to Conductor to GS-X mkII to Liquid Gold? 
eek.gif

I might get a HD800 later on, but could very well go for speakers instead.

Gotta say the LCD-3s (and HD800 for that matter) have never sounded better than out of my GS-X/GS-X MKII. On a budget, I'd go for the Mjolnir for the LCD-3s, but if you're looking at the HD800s down the road, I'd go with the Conductor.

Jul 20, 2013 at 10:37 PM Post #7,869 of 11,521
Comes down to laid back or aggressive.  And yes the GS-X mk2 just smashes them both... as expected given the price and reputation.

Jul 20, 2013 at 10:38 PM Post #7,870 of 11,521
Quote:
Comes down to laid back or aggressive.  And yes the GS-X mk2 just smashes them both... as expected given the price and reputation.

I find with the LCD-3s I'd prefer a bit more aggressive and laid back with the HD800s. Great thing with the GS-X, is that it works amazingly well for both headphones.

Jul 20, 2013 at 10:55 PM Post #7,871 of 11,521
Considering the gs-x now....I just have no idea what to get for a dac (or if I should just keep my modi), as well as where would I plug the headphones into (on the gs-x)?

Jul 20, 2013 at 11:25 PM Post #7,872 of 11,521
Quote:
Considering the gs-x now....I just have no idea what to get for a dac (or if I should just keep my modi), as well as where would I plug the headphones into (on the gs-x)?

Seems like a few people, including myself are in the same boat shopping for DACs. MH, are you planning to stick with your DAC in the long term? Or do you have your eye on some "better" DACs? Or do you have any recommendations? I have LCD-3 with GS-X in next few months - just don't have a proper source at the moment.

I find the devices listed in your profile a good starting point for component research :p

Oh should mention, I'm considering:
- NAD M51 (but its been on the market for awhile now and doesn't have DSD)
- Wyred 4 Sound DAC-2 (similar to NAD M51 but from reading reviews, seems to be a trend that people prefer the NAD M51 in comparison)
- Audio-gd Master 7 (only found this product via these forums, their Chinese website seems a bit..... budget ><)

I got a lot more research to do, just starting to look at DACs really - any advice/recommendations from people is appreciated :) Been trying to gleam what I can from the forums lately, but not too much recent chatter on DACs.

Jul 20, 2013 at 11:40 PM Post #7,873 of 11,521
Yea all 3 of you guys have told me before about the HD800 and the LCD-3 on the GS-X. I'm sold on the sound of it for sure, but price and wait time is another thing to consider ATM. While I might consider the HD800 or another Hifiman down the road, I'm still more interested in getting the LCD-3's done right. Maybe I'll pick up a Mjolnir/Soloist/Conductor somewhere down the road and then get a GS-X mkII for main rig and shift the other amp for second rig...or just wait it out and get a GS-X. LOL most of the times my long plans usually end up changing and I just get things randomly. I was chilling peacefully with HE-500 and LCD-2 on a Monday *reads thread late night* Hmmm LCD-3 sounds good. Tuesday night, place an ad for both. By Wednesday night, both planars gone. By Friday late night, I have the LCD-3 and wondering What just happened (partially because I got a good deal on it).  LOL so who knows, I might end up doing something like that again if I see a good deal on an item, regardless of price (within a reasonable limit). So that's why I'm trying to find out as much as I can now. I will audition the Bursons later on, although have no place to try out the Schiit.

Regarding my preferences, I'm looking for a bit more faster, transparent, airy and aggressive sound. I listen to a lot of electronic music, so I still want to retain the smoothness of the LCD-3 while pushing for transparency and speed. Also, which of these amps (minus the GS-X) can bring out the treble or lift the veil from the LCD-3's. My HE-500 was much better in the treble. Actually, go ahead and tell me the treble on the GS-X as well. I noticed that with brass and woodwinds that need the higher frequencies to properly bring out the necessary harmonics, the LCD-3 is sometimes restricted.

EDIT: Should also mention that I am looking at NAD M51 in the future as the most favourite. Might go lower to say a Gungnir or higher with the PerfectWave DAC mkII, if any of this makes a difference.

Jul 20, 2013 at 11:56 PM Post #7,874 of 11,521
Seems like a few people, including myself are in the same boat shopping for DACs. MH, are you planning to stick with your DAC in the long term? Or do you have your eye on some "better" DACs? Or do you have any recommendations? I have LCD-3 with GS-X in next few months - just don't have a proper source at the moment.

I find the devices listed in your profile a good starting point for component research :p

Oh should mention, I'm considering:
- NAD M51 (but its been on the market for awhile now and doesn't have DSD)
- Wyred 4 Sound DAC-2 (similar to NAD M51 but from reading reviews, seems to be a trend that people prefer the NAD M51 in comparison)
- Audio-gd Master 7 (only found this product via these forums, their Chinese website seems a bit..... budget ><)

I got a lot more research to do, just starting to look at DACs really - any advice/recommendations from people is appreciated :) Been trying to gleam what I can from the forums lately, but not too much recent chatter on DACs.

Once you get to this range of DACs they are al, pretty awesome. Had mt DAC-2 for a little over 2 years. I've tried a few new DACs recently and the Bryston BDA-2 impressed me, but again the differences were pretty small.

Jul 21, 2013 at 12:04 AM Post #7,875 of 11,521
Quote:
What is the point in even having the LCD3 if you're not going to feed it right? Must be a troll... Just go on over to Walmart and get yourself a pair of Logitech phones for 30 dollars and call it done then. Plug into your puter and get your just rewards.

You guys, no one specifically, are being asses.

I have the LCD2 - maybe they're not even comparable to the LCD3, who knows -  but I can plug them *straight* into a iPod Touch, hell, an original iPod (1st gen click wheel) - and they sound absolutely beautiful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back