New Audeze LCD3
Jul 20, 2013 at 2:46 PM Post #7,846 of 11,521
Quote:

Not sure about the ODAC, although the O2 with both LCD-2 and LCD-3 is quite horrible.

Can't say I disagree. However plenty of people out there live with it and some even love it. 

Jul 20, 2013 at 2:51 PM Post #7,847 of 11,521
Quote:
Can't say I disagree. However plenty of people out there live with it and some even love it. 

Maybe for acoustic or simple instrumental music, but that's about it. They'll love the transparency and blackground for sure, I know I do. Although vocals and mids are lacking and unengaging. Also, it's quite bass light. People say the LCD-3 is the king of bass. With O2, forget about that completely. Quite bass light. Bottom line, it's quite unengaging for music. Maybe for movies....?

Jul 20, 2013 at 2:59 PM Post #7,848 of 11,521
Quote:

Maybe for acoustic or simple instrumental music, but that's about it. They'll love the transparency and blackground for sure, I know I do. Although vocals and mids are lacking and unengaging. Also, it's quite bass light. People say the LCD-3 is the king of bass. With O2, forget about that completely. Quite bass light. Bottom line, it's quite unengaging for music. Maybe for movies....?

Who knows. I found the O2 strident and boring. But that's just me.

It's all comparative. If he hasn't heard anything better than A2/Modi, then who's to say
he won't love the LCD-3 on that rig. Ignorance is bliss after-all.

Jul 20, 2013 at 3:12 PM Post #7,849 of 11,521
Quote:
Quote:

Who knows. I found the O2 strident and boring. But that's just me.

It's all comparative. If he hasn't heard anything better than A2/Modi, then who's to say

Very true. I stand corrected.

Jul 20, 2013 at 4:32 PM Post #7,850 of 11,521
Quote:

He already has the HE-400 and Schiit M stack.  I'd sit pretty on that rig since it's already quite good and well matched.  Move up when funds allow for a suitable source and amp.

Jul 20, 2013 at 4:40 PM Post #7,851 of 11,521
Quote:

He already has the HE-400 and Schiit M stack.  I'd sit pretty on that rig since it's already quite good and well matched.  Move up when funds allow for a suitable source and amp.

Schiiit, I think getting the LCD-3 now for 'some' enjoyment isn't a bad idea. Then upgraditus.

Jul 20, 2013 at 7:40 PM Post #7,852 of 11,521
I'm willing to increase the budget for an amp/dac, but the question is when will I be I guess...satisfied? Less then $1k then.

Jul 20, 2013 at 8:05 PM Post #7,853 of 11,521
Quote:
I'm willing to increase the budget for an amp/dac, but the question is when will I be I guess...satisfied? Less then $1k then.

Just gonna throw out the V200. No clue on how it performs, but thought of mentioning it. 

You can get a Mjolnir and use the leftover money for another DAC or maybe save that money, wait it out and save more money and get a better DAC. I am not sure about your current Magni Modi stack but if you must, maybe pick up a used Bifrost that comes without USB. I think that combo can be under $1k.

Jul 20, 2013 at 8:19 PM Post #7,854 of 11,521
Quote:

I just hope you've heard one before, otherwise the LCD-2 might be a safer bet.  It's a lot less finicky but still has the house sound.  Hate for the LCD-2 rarely translates to love for the LCD-3 :wink:

And those you can get every day all day used on the for sale forum.  If it's not your cup of tea you are out shipping and not the $300 you lose on LCD-3 resale.

Jul 20, 2013 at 8:29 PM Post #7,856 of 11,521
Quote:
About as low as I would go would be the Burson Conductor which has a street price of about $1500.

How would a Mjolnir/Gungnir stack up to the Conductor?

Jul 20, 2013 at 8:42 PM Post #7,857 of 11,521
Never heard the Gung, didn't think the Mjol meshed too well with the LCD-3.  Really aggressive in combination with the W4S DAC-2.

Jul 20, 2013 at 8:49 PM Post #7,858 of 11,521
I just hope you've heard one before, otherwise the LCD-2 might be a safer bet.  It's a lot less finicky but still has the house sound.  Hate for the LCD-2 rarely translates to love for the LCD-3 :wink:

And those you can get every day all day used on the for sale forum.  If it's not your cup of tea you are out shipping and not the $300 you lose on LCD-3 resale.

I'm going to NYC soon so maybe ill try to get a listen there, since there are some resellers there

Jul 20, 2013 at 8:54 PM Post #7,859 of 11,521
The LCD-3s are my to go headphone and while I enjoyed them tremendously on the Burson Conductor, I felt they could do more. That led to the arrival of the Decware Taboo MK3 amplifier. (I had a bit of a spinoff initially with the HD800s, as I always use them to compare gear for the microscope they are. The Taboo MK3 has fantastic synergy with the HD800s, but that's a story for another thread.)

The stock tubes are a real good selection for the price, but obviously you can get (a lot) more in terms of SQ with carefully selected NOS tubes. 

Compared to the Conductor the Taboo does a clearer image, expanded soundstage, better instrument separation, enhanced micro-details, better dynamics and is completely grain free. When it's there it produces deeper more extended bass (thinking of Infected Mushrooms right now; there's some mean bass going on on their tracks). It sounds effortless, refined, natural and transparent and the music just flows. It's a dissapearing act. Switching back to the Conductor it sounds flatter, incomplete and very slightly muddier. Don't get me wrong the Conductor is still very clean, but I am trying to illustrate the difference.

The LCD-3s have blossomed and I've lost serious sleep during the last few days. I just can't take myself away to go to bed.  The LCD-3s scale well and I am very pleased with them. I prefer them to the HD800s overall. I agree the Burson Conductor is about where it's worthwhile to start with the LCD-3s and then there's more.

Tubes used:
Amperex "pinched waist" 6922
Osram/Marconi/GEC milspec U52 & USAF-596
Russian "Gold grids" milspec 6P15P-ER

Jul 20, 2013 at 9:19 PM Post #7,860 of 11,521
Yes and yes. I do not like it but got used to it

Personnally i own the Conductor and the fainth click you mention is actually more like CLICK CLICK sometimes its not always loud but its always there Burson says to clean the attenuator with wd40 but i figure it did it when it was new so how dirty can it be its only 5 months old wont start screwing around with that but makes you wonder how normal is this other than that its perfect 

I gues I have to look elsewhere, thanks guys.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back