New Audeze LCD3
Feb 19, 2013 at 3:09 AM Post #7,261 of 11,521
Quote:
For the record, I've never considered myself a "stat-sound" person. I would have gladly taken the LCD-2s over the SR-007s. But that said, the SR-009s have changed that for me. Not to take away from the brilliance of the LCD-3s (or even the LCD-2s).

evil_smiley.gif

Sorry, I wasn't speaking clearly. I meant that I have owned stats in my main-room speaker set-up, probably 80% of the time over the past 30 years. I have owned a few boxes, but for the most part it has been ribbons or planar-magnetics when I did not have stats. I guess it's a fascination of mine, panel speakers, their virtues despite their weaknesses. If there was ever any doubt, my "discovery" of Quads sealed the deal. No, I was referring to you as someone with some track record on orthos. 

Feb 19, 2013 at 3:34 AM Post #7,262 of 11,521
Quote:
Anyone know how long the LCD3 driver lasts before failure? Presumably the diaphragm gets fatigued to failure / lack of precision over time. 

I had this discussion with Sankar directly and I am sure he won't mind me quoting him:-

[size=9pt]"The performance of our Audeze headphones does not change over time.  In planar drivers in general there is only one moving part:  the diaphragm. Audeze’s diaphragm material is a very stable, high-temperature film that is glued to a frame with high-tech adhesive...[size=9pt]With proper use our headphones will perform well for many years, which is the opposite to conventional dynamic drivers where performance degrades slowly, but constantly, over time."[/size][/size]

Feb 19, 2013 at 4:23 AM Post #7,263 of 11,521
Quote:

I had this discussion with Sankar directly and I am sure he won't mind me quoting him:-

[size=9pt]"The performance of our Audeze headphones does not change over time.  In planar drivers in general there is only one moving part:  the diaphragm. Audeze’s diaphragm material is a very stable, high-temperature film that is glued to a frame with high-tech adhesive...[size=9pt]With proper use our headphones will perform well for many years, which is the opposite to conventional dynamic drivers where performance degrades slowly, but constantly, over time."[/size][/size]

That is very interesting. Maybe it's because the magnets push / pull the diaphragm so there's more control over the material, such that it strains a bit (burn in) but then doesn't get further fatigued because there isn't additional elastic / plastic deformation. Additionally, in moving coil transducers I guess the coil moves to so you have to worry about fatigue in the coil.

I hadn't looked until the different technologies until today so maybe somebody can help me out. 

Feb 19, 2013 at 7:53 PM Post #7,264 of 11,521
Quote:

Sorry, I wasn't speaking clearly. I meant that I have owned stats in my main-room speaker set-up, probably 80% of the time over the past 30 years. I have owned a few boxes, but for the most part it has been ribbons or planar-magnetics when I did not have stats. I guess it's a fascination of mine, panel speakers, their virtues despite their weaknesses. If there was ever any doubt, my "discovery" of Quads sealed the deal. No, I was referring to you as someone with some track record on orthos. 

Gotcha. 
size]

Feb 19, 2013 at 10:57 PM Post #7,266 of 11,521
I've been using a Sieveking Zebrano for a couple of weeks now. On the positive side, it's a good match visually with the LCD3 zebrawood although the LCD3 is a little darker. The Sieveking top is a perfect match for the radius of the LCD3 headband for an even distribution of weight across the headband. The large earpads of the LCD3 are fully contacted by the wider Sieveking. And although there appears to be some pressure on the earpads, it is very well distributed and does not appear to deform the earpads.

On the downside, I have found is that the Sieveking is a little too light and top-heavy, and will go flying off the table if bumped. Also the Sieveking is a little wobbly. Finally, the Sieveking could use to be maybe an inch taller because the stress relief on the bottom of the stock headphone cable contacts the omega legs. I'm looking into attaching a 6 x 6 x 1 solid block of aircraft aluminum to the bottom of the Sieveking, which will add weight and stability. It will also look good alongside my Burson Soloist.

Feb 19, 2013 at 11:03 PM Post #7,267 of 11,521
Quote:
I've been using a Sieveking Zebrano for a couple of weeks now. On the positive side, it's a good match visually with the LCD3 zebrawood although the LCD3 is a little darker. The Sieveking top is a perfect match for the radius of the LCD3 headband for an even distribution of weight across the headband. The large earpads of the LCD3 are fully contacted by the wider Sieveking. And although there appears to be some pressure on the earpads, it is very well distributed and does not appear to deform the earpads.

On the downside, I have found is that the Sieveking is a little too light and top-heavy, and will go flying off the table if bumped. Also the Sieveking is a little wobbly. Finally, the Sieveking could use to be maybe an inch taller because the stress relief on the bottom of the stock headphone cable contacts the omega legs. I'm looking into attaching a 6 x 6 x 1 solid block of aircraft aluminum to the bottom of the Sieveking, which will add weight and stability. It will also look good alongside my Burson Soloist.

I'd love to see a picture of that setup if you could...

Feb 19, 2013 at 11:13 PM Post #7,268 of 11,521
I got the Sieveking Zebranoa  Omega a couple of years ago for my LCD-2 but didn't think it worked that well.

I bought a few of these for my LCD-2s and 3 recently and find them to be quite good, very stable when the heavy LCD-2/3s are on them.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Brand-New-C-Shape-Single-Headphones-Rack-Stand-Hanger-Holder-AKG-L092-/281022117794

The only problem is that they have the ugly AKG logos on them and on their own, they can get knocked over easily unless you glue them down.

These look quite good for the LCD-3:

http://www.head-fi.org/g/i/166337/rooms-fs-2-jpg/sort/display_order/

Quote:
I've been using a Sieveking Zebrano for a couple of weeks now. On the positive side, it's a good match visually with the LCD3 zebrawood although the LCD3 is a little darker.

Feb 20, 2013 at 5:54 AM Post #7,269 of 11,521
Quote:
What do you guys use as a headphone stand? I have the Woo Audio HPS-R, but it digs into the headband leather significantly because the angle of the stand is different than the angle of the haedband. 

CanCans from Klutz Design: http://audeze.com/sites/default/files/imagecache/product_full/audeze_lcd2_01_stand.jpg
I bought two of them for a very nice price at the HighEnd Show in Stockholm last weekend, one black matte as in the picture, the other beautifully red high gloss (couldn't decide which to buy so I bought both). Otherwise they're quite expensive. Made of solid wood and a solid metal foot, weighs 2 kilos.

Feb 20, 2013 at 6:10 AM Post #7,270 of 11,521
Quote:
What do you guys use as a headphone stand? I have the Woo Audio HPS-R, but it digs into the headband leather significantly because the angle of the stand is different than the angle of the haedband. 

I got this teak wood desk.  It's sturdy, nice looking and holds all my stuff :wink:  When the LCD lays down it rests on the edge of the headband and the metal tip on the other side.  So ya, desk.  For my HD800 which have a weak paint job, desk with a face cloth :O  Paying a premium to wear out the padding seems like a bad idea.

Feb 21, 2013 at 3:25 PM Post #7,272 of 11,521
Quote:
I just push up the pads and carefully put back in the wooden 'piano' box they came in. After 2 months when I open the box the same smell (think like new car) hits me and sends a tingle throughout my body 
o2smile.gif

Ditto.  This is the best way to keep dust out of your headphones and in optimum condition.  Also, keep the styrofoam spacer that comes with them and put them inside the earcups as well to maintain full, thick ear pads.

Feb 22, 2013 at 4:48 AM Post #7,273 of 11,521
Can't beat that new car smell. Lovely. 

Feb 22, 2013 at 7:38 PM Post #7,274 of 11,521
So, tonight I've encountered somewhat of a disaster. I warmed up my Schiit Bifrost, and Lyr, turned on a song, then suddenly my right channel just went out. Completely.

I have no idea why or what has caused this but I am very concerned. I have contacted Audeze support about the issue, I'm not sure what they are gonna say but I just hope I can get this fixed. To make matters worse, I live all the way in Paris.

Any advice anyone can give me would be extremely helpful. The only things I've tried thus far is just switching out the cable ports to see if the cable was the issue…but its not.

Thanks guys,
Jon

Feb 22, 2013 at 7:43 PM Post #7,275 of 11,521
If you swap the cable left/right and the same side is out... headphone.  If it was the tube the ear that was out would follow the cable.  Long story short try another headphone.  That rules out the rest of the gear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back