New Audeze LCD3
Jan 14, 2013 at 5:47 AM Post #6,991 of 11,521
To be honest, I'd get it even if it comes in a cheap cardboard box. I just got mine this afternoon, think it's one of the latest ones with 261xxxx serial numbers, sounds totally great straight out of the box.

Jan 14, 2013 at 9:22 PM Post #6,993 of 11,521
I havent followed this thread for a while. I didnt know about the different serial # change on the lcd3. Mine are 231#, but they were the first batch released in late march with the new style foam. Has anything changed on them since them?

Jan 14, 2013 at 9:24 PM Post #6,994 of 11,521
Quote:
I havent followed this thread for a while. I didnt know about the different serial # change on the lcd3. Mine are 231#, but they were the first batch released in late march with the new style foam. Has anything changed on them since them?

Nope. Just that the 261 was likely issued to denote the post-RMA versions. Mine are still 231XXX, but that said, they were sent back for "updating" the drivers to the latest and greatest revision in May. Nothing's changed since then to the best of my knowledge.

Jan 14, 2013 at 11:21 PM Post #6,995 of 11,521
I got it from the central branch, I was told they just came in last week and there were 2 in the shop. They let me check the serial number no problem, it was written on the outer cardboard box anyway, it's great that it came with 2 sets of cables, one balanced and 1 non balanced, very thoughtful of them. :cool:

I am guessing they had stock in store then. Did they let you check the S/N ?

Jan 15, 2013 at 5:19 PM Post #6,996 of 11,521
Subscribed

Jan 17, 2013 at 1:30 PM Post #6,997 of 11,521
has anyone been charged an inspection fee of $75 by Audeze for
the RMA process?

i asked via their support link and the response i got from them was
that unless there is a factory defect they will charge a fee for the
return of the headphone after their technicians go over it. my
question is what constitutes a "defect" in their view. i asked, of course,
but did not receive a direct answer except that all their headphones
go thru a "very strict variance for testing".

Jan 17, 2013 at 8:00 PM Post #6,999 of 11,521
compared mine to a more recent unit and could clearly tell the newer
unit was slightly more airy with more emphasis at the top frequencies
compared to mine. i was rather hesitant to send it in because i rather
enjoyed  the softer top; made everything sound lush and intimate but
i was concerned about the variance; was my unit slowly failing?
would it get worse with age?...

Jan 17, 2013 at 8:33 PM Post #7,000 of 11,521
Quote:
compared mine to a more recent unit and could clearly tell the newer
unit was slightly more airy with more emphasis at the top frequencies
compared to mine. i was rather hesitant to send it in because i rather
enjoyed  the softer top; made everything sound lush and intimate but
i was concerned about the variance; was my unit slowly failing?
would it get worse with age?...

Define how much older your pair is? Did you get it before March of 2012?

Jan 17, 2013 at 8:53 PM Post #7,001 of 11,521
Nods only EARLY LCD-3s 'need' the RMA.  I believe outside of when you got them there are physical differences in the rear dampening.  Felt v Foam if memory serves.

Jan 17, 2013 at 10:01 PM Post #7,002 of 11,521
my unit's frequency graph shows a date of late february 2012 but the original owner claimed
it was rma'd. it doesn't sound anything like the lcd2 rev1 i use to have where you could
easily tell that unit was much more shelved at the top and the soundstage was more closed-in.
i'm inclined to think that although the rma done by the original owner did resolve the
issues it may've had in regards to driver defects known to be occurring at that time, the
newer units may differ from even the rma'd units... or that my unit still has unresolved issues.
in any case, audeze staff should have received my unit today. i'm awaiting their findings.

Jan 17, 2013 at 10:18 PM Post #7,004 of 11,521
Technically new LCD-3 have less treble around 8KHz than originals but more from 10KHz up.  The essential evening of the treble that is spoken of.

Jan 17, 2013 at 10:21 PM Post #7,005 of 11,521
Yeah I bought my pair just before it was released so it's a "231". Of course I've thought about updating the driver, and I can definitely hear some areas where they can improve, but I haven't for these reasons:

(1) They've been my favorites ever since I got them
(2) I love the way they compliment the HD800s, and I worry that the newer versions won't compliment the HD800s as well due to the more prominent top end.

Basically, if it ain't broke, don't fix it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back