New Audeze LCD3
Aug 3, 2012 at 3:18 AM Post #6,318 of 11,521
Quote:

That's misleading.  He's been using other SS amps before and after the O2 came out.  I use mine too, usually as a paperweight when it's not out on loan.  I'll bet you money if you ask him what his desert island amp is to go w/ his desert island LCD3 it won't be an O2.  I bet you you won't like his cable selection either but let's not let that get in the way of any rabid objective fanaticism shall we.

Aug 3, 2012 at 11:59 AM Post #6,322 of 11,521
Quote:
the 02 works fantastic with my lcd-2r2 so why not the lcd-3, similar impedance? similar fr, related headphone family.

deadhorse.gif
 YOU! BlCTH... (Just kidding, don't get mad) 
biggrin.gif

Aug 3, 2012 at 1:40 PM Post #6,323 of 11,521
That's misleading.  He's been using other SS amps before and after the O2 came out.  I use mine too, usually as a paperweight when it's not out on loan.  I'll bet you money if you ask him what his desert island amp is to go w/ his desert island LCD3 it won't be an O2.  I bet you you won't like his cable selection either but let's not let that get in the way of any rabid objective fanaticism shall we.

No need to get personal. I wasn't being serious.

Aug 3, 2012 at 1:46 PM Post #6,324 of 11,521
I thought the O2 drove the LCD-3 rather well, given what it is and how much it costs. Like Anax, it hardly saw any use while I had it, as it's not going to replace a proper desktop amp, but it's not a bad amp.

Aug 3, 2012 at 3:01 PM Post #6,325 of 11,521
Quote:
I thought the O2 drove the LCD-3 rather well, given what it is and how much it costs. Like Anax, it hardly saw any use while I had it, as it's not going to replace a proper desktop amp, but it's not a bad amp.

This is my experience as well. With the O2 driving the LCD-3, you won't feel like you're missing out on anything until you hear the LCD-3 with a proper desktop amp.

Aug 3, 2012 at 10:53 PM Post #6,328 of 11,521
Quote:
seems some not so much love for the o2 here lol. So what are you missing out on with the o2? (case aesthetics aside).

On another note for something different maybe I should try a tube amp with my lcd-2?

That probably sounded stronger than it was meant to.  It's good for the price, but like Mwilson and others said, mine stays around doing nothing.  My desktop amp has a larger stage, and slightly more coherent imaging.  I'm sure if you dig back in the O2 thread far enough, you'll find more of my comments.  Of course, I'm using a tube amp, which seems to carry an asterisk with it.  I'll be trying my LCD-2 w/ the First Watt F3 clone when I get home from vaca- in a week or so, so I'll revert w/ more thoughts then...ss vs. ss.

Aug 4, 2012 at 12:26 AM Post #6,329 of 11,521
Quote:
seems some not so much love for the o2 here lol. So what are you missing out on with the o2? (case aesthetics aside).

On another note for something different maybe I should try a tube amp with my lcd-2?

In my experience the O2 is a fantastic amp which can compete with amps costing many times its price. It sounds very good with the LCD 2 / 3 and has a very addictive, clean sound. Compared to top tier desktop amps, however, I found the O2 to be lacking in resolution, finer detail and soundstage.

Aug 4, 2012 at 5:10 AM Post #6,330 of 11,521
Quote:

In my experience the O2 is a fantastic amp which can compete with amps costing many times its price. It sounds very good with the LCD 2 / 3 and has a very addictive, clean sound. Compared to top tier desktop amps, however, I found the O2 to be lacking in resolution, finer detail and soundstage.

Of course all this "lacking" might be just lack of some coloration, extra treble etc. The word has an unnecessarily negative vibe. What's a "desktop amp" anyway? Is my G109S one? It's still pretty small and basic but it's performance is compared to V100/V200 which are "highly regarded". I heard so little initial difference between my G109S and O2 that I couldn't care to compare in depth. Also someone (Naim FC) whose thought process and testing methods seemed very sane, found extremely tiny differences between O2 and V200. That was refreshing instead of the usual "lacking this that" without anything concrete. Yes I'm sure there can be tiny differences between SS amps, but if finding them requires extreme training and effort, what's the point?

So can someone tell me if there's a clearly better solid state amp for my LCD-3? I have zero interest in tubes. If I want that, I just use EQ/DSP like I already do.

Maybe I'll try Soloist if I can get it somewhere to try. But if the difference is as "amazing" as for example the sample here, seems a bit pointless. Probably someone tells me next that I need a better DAC to hear the amazing differences.
wink.gif

Yes I know I'm in probably in wrong forum ("last 5% subjective performance"), but I'd still like someone to prove to me it's sane to spend even a grand on an SS amp soundwise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back