New Audeze LCD3
Jun 8, 2012 at 6:18 AM Post #5,956 of 11,521
I use WASAPI Event Style. No issues at all with the DAC2.

Jun 8, 2012 at 4:10 PM Post #5,958 of 11,521
Then selecting KS is just placebo.  Windows 7 audio model doesn't talk KS which is why WASAPI is now used for exclusive mode.

Jun 8, 2012 at 9:46 PM Post #5,961 of 11,521
Quote:
Then selecting KS is just placebo.  Windows 7 audio model doesn't talk KS which is why WASAPI is now used for exclusive mode.

Erm if that was the case wouldn't KS not work at all?  KS works fine, in fact ASIO4ALL uses it and that works too.  Placebo theories are best saved for the sound science forum.
wink.gif

KS can sound excellent or overly grainy depending on the software.  The best software player I have uses KS and that beats the others I have by a comfortable margin, my second preference being AIO4ALL.

Jun 9, 2012 at 11:51 AM Post #5,964 of 11,521
Nice choice. I use the MacBook Pro with Amarra Full, connecting to my Antelope Zodiac Gold which goes to my 009 or LCD3 setup. They have substantially reduced the price for Amarra full version recently and is a good deal for any Mac user. The ultimate way to go, I heard, is a heavily modified Linux system tuned for audiophile use with some really highend power treatment for the desktop computer.

Jun 9, 2012 at 3:28 PM Post #5,966 of 11,521
I decided to give the LCD3 a shot and picked up a factory refurbed unit from Headroom. They said it had the new drivers in place and was like new (full Audeze warranty). 

I wasn’t a fan of the LCD2 but what I hear about the new revision 3 (improved comfort with the pads, better soundstage and a bit sparklier treble vs LCD2) makes me think I should try them out.

I may need to get a better amp to see what they can do before passing too quick judgement but I want to confirm the improved comfort levels before I go spending big bucks on a powerful amp (using an Amphora right now which I think is great for my current dynamics)

Jun 9, 2012 at 3:33 PM Post #5,967 of 11,521
The new softer pads are a mixed bag.  They seal great, they are super soft but if you have a large head they can squish to the point of hitting the wood up front with glasses on.  The LCD-2 are stiffer, have less give but disappear more quickly for me.

What amp do you have now?

Jun 9, 2012 at 3:41 PM Post #5,968 of 11,521
My head is medium sized, I guess. I forgot my hat size years ago. The issue with the LCD2 for me was the stiff pads. No matter how much I stretched the headband, the pressure on my face was too much as the pads just felt very stiff on my face. The Stax O2, with the super soft pads, never bugged me. So, I suppose I’m hoping the softer pads will be enough. If not, well, you’ll see them up here for sale relatively soon. :) I wear glasses but with very thin frames so they’ve never really been a problem with all the headphones I’ve used.

My amp now is the ALO Amphora.

Jun 9, 2012 at 3:45 PM Post #5,969 of 11,521
The "earpad suction thing" gives me pause. I'm thinking that the vegan pad option would alleviate this but I'm not sure if it would have an effect on sound quality. I like leather pads personally, just don't like my eardrums popping.

Has anybody had a chance to compare these two pad options on the same LCD-3?

Jun 9, 2012 at 3:50 PM Post #5,970 of 11,521
x2!
I'd also like to know how they compare. I have the vegan pads on my Bamboo LCD-2's. I find the comfort much improved. (No change on SQ)
But I wasn't/haven't been too sure about the vegan LCD 3's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back