New Audeze LCD3
Apr 23, 2012 at 2:59 PM Post #5,266 of 11,521

Quote:

I just got my LCD-3 back from Audez'e and they are, in fact, the same pair I sent in. The grill material has been changed to foam and the earpads/driver material has been changed. @Purrin, what do you think of the new FR graph that they made? Can I rest easy, or should I still pursue this?

The graph looks good to me, but they are smoothed so I can't be 100% sure. As long as you like how it sounds with your setup and feel its a worthwhile upgrade from the LCD2, I wouldn't worry too much about it. 

Apr 23, 2012 at 3:28 PM Post #5,268 of 11,521
for those of you who've listened through both, the HD800 and the recent "non-veiled" or
"super-unveiled" LCD3; how do they compare? it's a loaded question, but i thank you in
advance.

Apr 23, 2012 at 3:37 PM Post #5,269 of 11,521
I see that now about the experience of all of you I´m deciding to buy any of these:

http://www.benchmarkmedia.com/dac/dac1-hdr
1895 US

http://www.headphone.com/headphone-amps/headroom-ultra-desktop-amp.php

Grace m903 1895 US too.

I like the functions on 3 but really which of the 3 sounds fine or is suggested to use with LCD-3 I know exist more expensive but
on any of that 3 which is better to consider on buy? Considering the use on LCD-3 headphones.

Thank you

Apr 23, 2012 at 4:27 PM Post #5,270 of 11,521
I have not tried the Benchmark or Headroom Ultra, but I can say that my RMA'ed LCD-3 sound fantastic directly out of my Grace m903. Not congested in the least bit... at times, I even prefer the m903 to my Liquid Fire.

Apr 23, 2012 at 4:32 PM Post #5,271 of 11,521

Quote:
for those of you who've listened through both, the HD800 and the recent "non-veiled" or
"super-unveiled" LCD3; how do they compare? it's a loaded question, but i thank you in
advance.

I only have a modest setup (Bifrost + Lyr with Siemens CCa) so the comparison might be very different with a better setup. But I would say that stock "unveiled" LCD-3 (my RMA'd 2nd pair) still sound too dark to my taste (it's less neutral thanHD800) and that coloration tends to undermine the real transparency of the LCD-3: it's easier to perceive details with a brighter sound. But if you can apply a little Eq on the LCD-3 (about 2-3 dB from 3 to 6 kHz is a good starting point) you not only get a more neutral sound but also added details and perceived transparency. On the other hand, it's less forgiving of bright recordings and fatigue appears at lower levels but I prefer that to a dark sound that change too much the tone of some vocals and instruments.

I wonder if the LCD-3 sounds more neutral with a better setup but so far that's my main complain about the Audeze flagship.
With correct Eq on the LCD-3, I don't feel it resolves less than the HD800 and the bass is better on the LCD-3. My main complain with the HD800 is not the bass but the treble that sounds bright and a little unnatural (especially the cymbals) with my setup: I would reach for them for classical and maybe some jazz or very dark recordings, but for the rest I prefer the Eq'ed LCD-3.

As for soundstage, HD800's is wider but the LCD-3 isn't far and maybe deeper.

Just my impressions, and probably very dependent on the setup used...

Apr 23, 2012 at 4:56 PM Post #5,275 of 11,521

Quote:
Then you suggest me go for grace m903 over dac1?
Thank you

I can't really make that recommendation, since I haven't heard the DAC1. I can only say that the m903 sounds fantastic with all of my headphones (LCD-3, HD800 and D7000) and has all of the connectivity options I need (balanced/SE, analog/digital inputs, etc.).

Apr 23, 2012 at 4:56 PM Post #5,276 of 11,521
Must also consider the Lavry DA11 (which I have). Very nice indeed, and cheaper than the Grace. I like the DAC section a lot better than the Grace m902 I used to have (from remembrance) and the amp section of the Lavry is really up for a lot. Especially nice is the PiC - crossfeed/picture image control. 

Quote:
Then you suggest me go for grace m903 over dac1?
Thank you

Apr 23, 2012 at 5:02 PM Post #5,278 of 11,521
The S7 can do it - just throw in 4-6 Sylvania chrome-tops to lean it out. Those tubes are cheap and good sounding too. Mjolnir is certainly another good possibility. I had chance to hear a prototype Mjolnir (still being voiced by Schitt) this weekend. My money's on the S7 though because of its fun factor with toob-rolling. And also because I've heard the new c-core transformers that are going into the next production batch. The S7 does cost one heck of a lot more though. You can always try the Schitt and return it if it doesn't work out.

Apr 23, 2012 at 5:13 PM Post #5,279 of 11,521
The S7 is tempting, as it's good with either HD800 or LCD-3, but it's more than twice the price of Mjolnir! Was the prototype close to the S7? Do you have any idea when the next production batch of S7 will be available? I guess I also will have to eventually update the DAC too...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back