New Audeze LCD3
Apr 21, 2012 at 6:05 PM Post #5,251 of 11,521
Quote:
Would the LCD3's be a worthwhile upgrade used in conjunction with my LYR, Burson, or Lehmann amps?  I know Macedonian Hero didn't think the LYR did them justice, but I'm curious what any other owners think.

I don't have the other amps to compare, but I find the LCD-3s work just fine with my Lyr with several different tubes rolled in.  In order of preference (from least to most): Matsu 6922s, Siemens Tri-mica PCC88s, Lorenz SEL PCC88s (from Nish), Lorenz PCC88s (Stuttgart), and Lorenz 3-Mica (Stuttgart).

These are my preferences based on my musical taste (bass impact with layering and detail in the mids and highs).  YMMV!

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Apr 21, 2012 at 10:36 PM Post #5,252 of 11,521
I ordered a pair of Mullard CV2492's last night after talking to MH, so we'll see how that works out.  I also ordered a W4S DAC2 today since I'm pretty sure my Buson DAC (god, why did I even buy this thing? ******* 6moons :/ ) is holding my system back more than anything. 

As for the LCD3, I'll probably end up ordering it sometime next week after mailing Audez'e and confirming that I'll get the good version.  I'm thoroughly enjoying my LCD2/LYR combo right now, but it's also making me curious as to how much better things can get. 

Apr 22, 2012 at 8:27 AM Post #5,253 of 11,521
Quote:
As for the LCD3, I'll probably end up ordering it sometime next week after mailing Audez'e and confirming that I'll get the good version.

I know you're just trying to get all reasonable assurances before spending $2k, but what do you expect Audeze to say?  "Sorry, we've only got veiled units in stock.  Try back later."

I'd like to think that all of Audeze's current stock has at least been retrofitted with the superficial upgrades, i.e. squishier pads and thinner foam over the drivers (and, according to purrin's discovery, possibly different dampening on the other side of the drivers).  As far as I know, it's not been confirmed whether any other tweaks or upgrades were done to the "revised" LCD-3s.

But of course, it would be best if we could get definitive info. from the company...

Apr 22, 2012 at 11:04 AM Post #5,254 of 11,521
I would have liked to think that Hifiman matches their drivers and Ultrasone used materials that didn't have chemical reactions with human skin, but neither seemed to be the case.  I just don't assume competence of any of these companies anymore, so yeah, I want Audez'e to be consciously aware of the fact that I want new stock before I spend $2k.

Apr 22, 2012 at 11:33 AM Post #5,255 of 11,521

Quote:
I would have liked to think that Hifiman matches their drivers and Ultrasone used materials that didn't have chemical reactions with human skin, but neither seemed to be the case.  I just don't assume competence of any of these companies anymore, so yeah, I want Audez'e to be consciously aware of the fact that I want new stock before I spend $2k.

Seems pretty reasonable to me. No one wants to play the LCD-3 lottery at $2000 a ticket. I'm still waiting for when it's safe.

Apr 22, 2012 at 12:10 PM Post #5,256 of 11,521

Quote:

You complety right but isn't like Audeze is sending veiled pairs on porpuse so you still may get one.

Apr 22, 2012 at 5:38 PM Post #5,257 of 11,521

Quote:

Seems pretty reasonable to me. No one wants to play the LCD-3 lottery at $2000 a ticket. I'm still waiting for when it's safe.

I looked at Addicted to Audio's website (they're in Melbourne), they said they've got a batch of stock from the March 2012 production period.

Apr 22, 2012 at 9:32 PM Post #5,258 of 11,521
Alright, so I got a reply stating that issues have been fixed with the current batch they're shipping (I have no idea whether or not this means they're unveiled or what though... I guess I'll take pics of my graph when I get them), but, instead of asking me to log in during the purchase, Audez'e's site made me a new account I can't log in to at all.  I used paypal, so I have an invoice from them, but not being able to access my order progress on-site scares the hell out of me.  Would any of you happen to know if they'll send me a UPS tracking number via email?

Apr 23, 2012 at 12:15 AM Post #5,259 of 11,521

Quote:

I looked at Addicted to Audio's website (they're in Melbourne), they said they've got a batch of stock from the March 2012 production period.

At $2280 a pair. I've heard the current production LCD-3's are still exhibiting driver failures and whatnot. I might check to see if Headphonic have more recent stock... last time I auditioned the LCD-3 in January it was severely underwhelming.

Apr 23, 2012 at 10:38 AM Post #5,260 of 11,521

Quote:
Alright, so I got a reply stating that issues have been fixed with the current batch they're shipping (I have no idea whether or not this means they're unveiled or what though... I guess I'll take pics of my graph when I get them), but, instead of asking me to log in during the purchase, Audez'e's site made me a new account I can't log in to at all.  I used paypal, so I have an invoice from them, but not being able to access my order progress on-site scares the hell out of me.  Would any of you happen to know if they'll send me a UPS tracking number via email?

They will, don't worry.

Apr 23, 2012 at 1:34 PM Post #5,261 of 11,521

Quote:
@GMF:

• Your original pair is definitely veiled. 
  • Your first RMA'd pair appears to be what I would call a transitional pair between the veiled and fully un-veiled models. (And yes, I've actually gotten my hands on one of these transitional pairs.) This transitional pair has slightly better performance than the veiled model, but IMO it is far from the fully un-veiled "super" LCD3.

Fully un-veiled super LCD3s should look similar to this: http://cdn.head-fi.org/d/dc/dc9e2620_marvlcd3.jpeg. The response should be a line extending past 1.5kHz and slowing rolling off with a little dip just past 4kHz.

I just got my LCD-3 back from Audez'e and they are, in fact, the same pair I sent in. The grill material has been changed to foam and the earpads/driver material has been changed. @Purrin, what do you think of the new FR graph that they made? Can I rest easy, or should I still pursue this?

Apr 23, 2012 at 2:54 PM Post #5,265 of 11,521

Users who are viewing this thread

Back