New Audeze LCD3
Apr 6, 2012 at 7:33 PM Post #4,966 of 11,521

Quote:
     Quote:
Look in the outer grills...is there felt or foam?  If it's felt, you got a set that hasn't been "fixed", if foam, they are the updated version.
-HK sends

I just got my RMA'd LCD-3 back from Audez'e on February 10th, and it looks like I have felt behind the outer grill.... I didn't think my original pair sounded veiled, but it took Audez'e so long to get me my RMA pair, I didn't have much in the way of a point of comparison.

Should I inquire about the foam? Am I missing out on something because I have a felt pair? This is really getting to be absurd...

Apr 6, 2012 at 8:09 PM Post #4,967 of 11,521

Quote:
I just got my RMA'd LCD-3 back from Audez'e on February 10th, and it looks like I have felt behind the outer grill.... I didn't think my original pair sounded veiled, but it took Audez'e so long to get me my RMA pair, I didn't have much in the way of a point of comparison.

Should I inquire about the foam? Am I missing out on something because I have a felt pair? This is really getting to be absurd...

I think its really been absurd since the start.  

Apr 6, 2012 at 8:27 PM Post #4,968 of 11,521
I just got a LCD3 on Wednesday, I am a newbie and can't tell if my headphone is veiled or not.  My FR chart is showing 2/27/2012, foam in the outer grills, guess I have the good one?  I am currently using it hooked up to the Asus STX soundcard and set at normal gain (<60ohms), The volume is really low for listening and not clear kinda muffled at times, can;t really enjoy listening to it and I am afraid to use high gain since it is not recommended. 

Apr 6, 2012 at 8:38 PM Post #4,969 of 11,521
Quote:
I just got a LCD3 on Wednesday, I am a newbie and can't tell if my headphone is veiled or not.  My FR chart is showing 2/27/2012, foam in the outer grills, guess I have the good one?  I am currently using it hooked up to the Asus STX soundcard and set at normal gain (<60ohms), The volume is really low for listening and not clear kinda muffled at times, can;t really enjoy listening to it and I am afraid to use high gain since it is not recommended. 

Don't be afraid to kick the STX up to the Very High setting.  Yes I said Very High, not High.  The one that says something like 300-600ohms.  I've been using my LCD2 with it for well over a year at that setting and no issues at all.  It's essentially just a gain function.

Here is the trick.  Turn the volume slider up in Foobar all the way to maximum, or whatever audio player you use, and then control the volume for listening to all applications with the volume knob on the STX Audio Center ONLY.  I never go past 20-30 on the volume knob unless the source was recorded at a lower volume.  Remember to always turn your volume all the way down prior to starting a new source of music/movie/show etc. because you never know the baseline volume for that particular recording.  Once its playing you can then adjust the volume to an appropriate level.

Trust me.  If you follow the steps I outlined above you have no chance of damaging the headphone.  You'll also thank me later for how much better they sound.

Apr 6, 2012 at 8:41 PM Post #4,970 of 11,521
Mine should be back early next week. Hard to believe that they'd get any better. I've been listening to my other headphones since last Monday and man do I miss my LCD-3s.
L3000.gif

FWIW, no other headphone has sounded as true to real life as my LCD-3s have. II've heard the O2 mkI and mk2 on several occasions and after a few moments of really liking the mk1s, I just couldn't help that the lack of tonal weight made me think of myself in the Matrix as things didn't quite seem real. The MK2 was just off to my ears. FWIW, amps used, SR007t,, SR717 and KGSS.

I haven't heard the SR-009s and hopefully will some time sooner than later. That said, glad to see that Audeze seems to have things back under control and can get back to making some of the very best headphones out there.

Apr 6, 2012 at 8:45 PM Post #4,971 of 11,521

Quote:

If you got them on Wednesday, you're good to go. But if you're using an Asus STX to drive them, you're using a Chevette motor to drive a classic hot rod. Spending $2000 on headphones and using the Asus as an amp/dac is your issue I would say. Are you using an amp separate from the Asus?

For flagship headphones like the LCD-3, HD800s, etc...you're going to need to invest in a proper amp/dac/source/etc...to really get them to show you what they are possible of doing. Sorry you're wallet had to hear this.
evil_smiley.gif
In the short term, subtle's recommendation seems like a logical path.

Apr 6, 2012 at 8:54 PM Post #4,972 of 11,521
Quote:

All I know is when I sent them in to be tested, the grill had felt under it and foam in the earcups.  Now that they've been "fixed", the grill has foam under it and there is cloth in the earcups...

-HK sends 

Apr 6, 2012 at 9:15 PM Post #4,973 of 11,521

Quote:
Quote:

Don't be afraid to kick the STX up to the Very High setting.  Yes I said Very High, not High.  The one that says something like 300-600ohms.  I've been using my LCD2 with it for well over a year at that setting and no issues at all.  It's essentially just a gain function.

Here is the trick.  Turn the volume slider up in Foobar all the way to maximum, or whatever audio player you use, and then control the volume for listening to all applications with the volume knob on the STX Audio Center ONLY.  I never go past 20-30 on the volume knob unless the source was recorded at a lower volume.  Remember to always turn your volume all the way down prior to starting a new source of music/movie/show etc. because you never know the baseline volume for that particular recording.  Once its playing you can then adjust the volume to an appropriate level.

Trust me.  If you follow the steps I outlined above you have no chance of damaging the headphone.  You'll also thank me later for how much better they sound.

I am not sure I am understanding this correctly, but by moving up to higher gain, the sound quality improve or just louder volume?  I'll give it a try, thanks.

Quote:
If you got them on Wednesday, you're good to go. But if you're using an Asus STX to drive them, you're using a Chevette motor to drive a classic hot rod. Spending $2000 on headphones and using the Asus as an amp/dac is your issue I would say.

For flagship headphones like the LCD-3, HD800s, etc...you're going to need to invest in a proper amp/dac/source/etc...to really get them to show you what they are possible of doing. Sorry you're wallet had to hear this.
evil_smiley.gif
In the short term, subtle's recommendation seems like a logical path.

I got them from a third party website here not Audeze directly.  I do have an amp, it the Schiit Lyr.  I bought it for intending to use it with LCD-2 but after seeing the zebra wood, I went with LCD3.  Currently I am having trouble hooking them all together because I don't have the wires I need.  I am having a blast reading and researching all these components.

Apr 6, 2012 at 9:21 PM Post #4,974 of 11,521

Quote:
I am not sure I am understanding this correctly, but by moving up to higher gain, the sound quality improve or just louder volume?  I'll give it a try, thanks.

I got them from a third party website here not Audeze directly.  I do have an amp, it the Schiit Lyr.  I bought it for intending to use it with LCD-2 but after seeing the zebra wood, I went with LCD3.  Currently I am having trouble hooking them all together because I don't have the wires I need.  I am having a blast reading and researching all these components.

Oh cool...good, the Lyr should drive them to well enough. Welcome to the hobby and my condolences to your wallet. I imagine the Asus has a pair (L+R) RCA outs? Then a pair of RCA cables from Radioshack should do it. What tubes are you using in your Lyr?

Apr 6, 2012 at 9:25 PM Post #4,975 of 11,521
Set all computer volumes to 100% for best sound quality. Use the Lyr to attenuate the volume to your desired setting.

Apr 6, 2012 at 9:26 PM Post #4,976 of 11,521

Quote:
Set all computer volumes to 100% for best sound quality. Use the Lyr to attenuate the volume to your desired setting.

^^ This!

Digital volume drops bits at lower levels.

BTW, did you get your HD800s yet?

Apr 6, 2012 at 9:26 PM Post #4,977 of 11,521
I finally tried the LCD3s with my RSA B52 and really liked the combination.
The B52 likes a headphone with a solid bass, and that's exactly what the LCD3 has. It creates a very balanced sound that is refined and has good detail. 

It is not a sharp or pushy sound, but the resolution is very good but you don't feel like anything is in-your-face, even with brash CDs. In fact, this is a great combination for lesser quality recordings, like 80's CDs that can be sharp or full of glare and have excessive bite. There is great density and saturation of vocals and mids.

I do NOT feel like things are hidden or suppressed, just handled with elegance. The LCD3s are the best phones I ever heard out of the B52 (after many others like T1s, PS1000s, D7000s, bass-light R10s, K701s). 
The HD800s are also very very nice from the B52, but the LCD3s here are more fluid and compelling, and can be played at higher volumes.

The B52/LCD3 is great on some piercing female vocals (Diana Ross, Mama Cass, and others) , which could make me wince at times but are smooth but not smoothed over in mid-fi style, if you know what I mean. 
I'm writing this because, as far as I can see, I have never come across the B52 / LCD3 combo mentioned in the forums, after all these posts (and I can't recall any LCD2 Rev 2 /B52 mentioned either).

Apr 6, 2012 at 9:29 PM Post #4,980 of 11,521
I finally tried the LCD3s with my RSA B52 and really liked the combination.
The B52 likes a headphone with a solid bass, and that's exactly what the LCD3 has. It creates a very balanced sound that is refined and has good detail. 

It is not a sharp or pushy sound, but the resolution is very good but you don't feel like anything is in-your-face, even with brash CDs. In fact, this is a great combination for lesser quality recordings, like 80's CDs that can be sharp or full of glare and have excessive bite. There is great density and saturation of vocals and mids.

I do NOT feel like things are hidden or suppressed, just handled with elegance. The LCD3s are the best phones I ever heard out of the B52 (after many others like T1s, PS1000s, D7000s, bass-light R10s, K701s). 
The HD800s are also very very nice from the B52, but the LCD3s here are more fluid and compelling, and can be played at higher volumes.

The B52/LCD3 is great on some piercing female vocals (Diana Ross, Mama Cass, and others) , which could make me wince at times but are smooth but not smoothed over in mid-fi style, if you know what I mean. 
I'm writing this because, as far as I can see, I have never come across the B52 / LCD3 combo mentioned in the forums, after all these posts (and I can't recall any LCD2 Rev 2 /B52 mentioned either).

Not a lot of takers for a $5400 amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back