New Audeze LCD3
Feb 14, 2012 at 6:16 PM Post #3,721 of 11,521

Quote:

I think this is one of the best kept secrets here on Head-fi...that there is product to product variability and more than we care to admit.

Not so much a well-kept secret, but an inconvenient truth.  Forums about "the" LCD-3 or "the" HD800 or "the" anything else are essentially wasted breath, because of variation between samples - which is real, and often significant, and sometimes dramatic.

I used to work for large production and broadcast companies which bought gear of every kind in large volumes - dozens or even hundreds of units at a time.  Such companies needed uniformity, and employed engineers solely to test incoming gear and return stuff that performed outside a certain envelope.  Sometimes 20% or 30% of stuff was out of spec.

I remember talking to a manufacturer and asking about the prospect of a Mk 2 of something ... the guy said practically all his engineering effort was dedicated to making sure he was turning out the same Mk 1 day by day.  It ain't easy.

Personally I own - or have owned - multiple samples of many things we talk about here, and there are differences between them, even products from big, established high-tech companies.  That a small kitchen-table operation like Audeze (said with all due respect and admiration) has consistency problems is about as surprising as the sun coming up each morning.

Feb 14, 2012 at 6:48 PM Post #3,722 of 11,521
Not wasted breath. It's not right for consumers to just bend over and take it. These very headphones being discussed go from $1,300+. You can get some great speakers (with better consistency) for $1,300. You've be surprised how consistent speaker drivers measure - especially from the good manufacturers.

Feb 14, 2012 at 7:22 PM Post #3,724 of 11,521
I know that I personally would be interested in seeing something more quantifiable, rather than this continued back-and-forth debate about the reliability and sound issues with the LCD-3.

It is reassuring that Audez'e is aware of the problem and seem to be venturing in good faith to fix the issue.  Or have fixed the issue, already.

However, I personally was a bit perturbed to see them diminish the problem in their blog posting, calling the percentage of problems "very small".

Perhaps it is as Macedonian Hero has suggested:  that the happy minority is a more silent bunch.  But one can't be sure.

I've lost count of how many people I've read on this thread who've returned their sets to Audez'e for repair, replacement, or refund.

So personally, I would find it a very useful tool to start a thread where Head-Fi members who've purchased the LCD-3 put their name under "satisfied" or "had problems" column.

Surely I'm not the only one who is strongly considering getting the LCD-3, but first need to see that there are a reasonable number of people out there besides Skylab and MH and Jude who actually dig these headphones???

So, I thought about just starting such a thread, but wanted to run it up the flagpole first and see if it's a good idea....

I don't want to offend anyone, my curiosity is just piqued...
So??? 

Feb 14, 2012 at 7:23 PM Post #3,725 of 11,521
@Purrin: +1
Above a certain price point, we should deserve reliability and consistency, especially if the price jump from previous generation trandsucer is advocated by increased QC. Adequating the lcd inconstencies to any other maker / tranduscer feels like evading the current issue.

About early adoption and sitting on the bleeding edge of technology: there's a strong case toward the veil issue being related to the ear pads. This is purely craftmanship (or lack thereof) related. Again, at 2 grands, there's little excuse, regardless of how small you are (stax is a 10 people compagny, look at the o2 pads).

The good thing though is that head-fi has quite some visibility and Audeze is paying serious attention. It seems like they will get these issues resolved like they did in the past and everyone will be happy / relieved with a 3 year warranty. That's much better than ignoring issues!

Feb 14, 2012 at 7:37 PM Post #3,726 of 11,521
One of the problems in reading about all these QC and "veil" threads is that you can't help but think that you MAY have one with said issues, even if you don't. I certainly have that doubt and without others to compare with, how do I know? I do know that my r2 version still sounds a bit clearer to me although the 3s have other sonic attributes. I also know that my beloved HD800s have taken a back seat over the last few months in favor of the Audeze so I'm going to have to assume I have a good enough pair.

Feb 14, 2012 at 8:33 PM Post #3,727 of 11,521
As a LCD-3 owner myself, all this talk of there being a "veiled" version is worrying. However, I do not know for sure if I have indeed received a "veiled" LCD-3 or not, as I do not have 2 (or more) pairs of LCD-3 to directly A/B with. IMO, the signature sound of Audeze headphones tend to be "dark sounding" and slightly laid back (compare any audeze headphone to the HD800, T1, etc and you'll know what I mean). So with all this talk of people claiming that they've received a "veiled" pair - are they familiar with the house sound of audeze headphones to begin with? Then, there is equipment matching. I do not own, nor have I heard, many of the high end rigs people talk about here. But I am sure of this: the LCD-3 tend to sound even darker and more laid back with Audio Gd gear. Case in point- I'm not sure if there are those who overlook these aspects before claiming that their LCD-3 sounds more recessed and veiled compared with other LCD-3s.

I think the best test would be to have multiple LCD-3s in front of you and compair their sound signatures directly (with a constant source/cables). So far, I have only seen 2 people do that here. But with so many other chiming in to claim that they have received a "veiled" LCD-3, I would take their comments with a pinch of salt. Here's looking forward to more objective posts and less subjective posts re the "veil" issue of the LCD-3.

That said, I really hope Audeze will be able to sort out any inconsistencies / variances on the LCD-3s (if any) and give us owners of LCD-3s some clarification / confirmation that we have a good, working pair. If they have indeed found some inconsistencies in the drivers and have implemented improvements on newer models, I think a full recall of all LCD-3s is necessary, to be ethical and fair for those who got in early on the LCD-3 bandwagon.

Feb 14, 2012 at 8:49 PM Post #3,728 of 11,521
Guys a few things, first off we're kinda way off topic now (although I realize that I'm part of the problem
tongue.gif
). That said, the variability between LCD-2s, LCD-3s, HD800s, T1s or any other headphone all appear to be real to a point. But then there's also HRTFs, upstream gear (amp, dac, source, tubes, cables, etc...). So its really hard to quantify what is headphone to headphone variation and what is that  "something else" upstream. I don't think that the issues are "binary" like veiled vs. non-vieled or bass lite vs. bass sufficient (for the HD800s or T1s). There's most likely a distribution of variation. Since it appears to have been with us for quite some time, I wouldn't recommend losing sleep over it. Remember, if it sounds good, it most likely is.
smile.gif

So from a small start up like Audeze right up to the giant Sennheiser, all headphone manufacturer's need to pay attention to this and ensure that we have more similar experiences. But then throw in the fact that we all have different head sizes and inner ears, I'm not sure this is possible.
confused.gif

Feb 14, 2012 at 9:04 PM Post #3,729 of 11,521

Quote:
As a LCD-3 owner myself, all this talk of there being a "veiled" version is worrying. However, I do not know for sure if I have indeed received a "veiled" LCD-3 or not, as I do not have 2 (or more) pairs of LCD-3 to directly A/B with. IMO, the signature sound of Audeze headphones tend to be "dark sounding" and slightly laid back (compare any audeze headphone to the HD800, T1, etc and you'll know what I mean). So with all this talk of people claiming that they've received a "veiled" pair - are they familiar with the house sound of audeze headphones to begin with? Then, there is equipment matching. I do not own, nor have I heard, many of the high end rigs people talk about here. But I am sure of this: the LCD-3 tend to sound even darker and more laid back with Audio Gd gear. Case in point- I'm not sure if there are those who overlook these aspects before claiming that their LCD-3 sounds more recessed and veiled compared with other LCD-3s.

I think the best test would be to have multiple LCD-3s in front of you and compair their sound signatures directly (with a constant source/cables). So far, I have only seen 2 people do that here. But with so many other chiming in to claim that they have received a "veiled" LCD-3, I would take their comments with a pinch of salt. Here's looking forward to more objective posts and less subjective posts re the "veil" issue of the LCD-3.

That said, I really hope Audeze will be able to sort out any inconsistencies / variances on the LCD-3s (if any) and give us owners of LCD-3s some clarification / confirmation that we have a good, working pair. If they have indeed found some inconsistencies in the drivers and have implemented improvements on newer models, I think a full recall of all LCD-3s is necessary, to be ethical and fair for those who got in early on the LCD-3 bandwagon.

As I mentioned, based on the information on the two different units, it appears to be related to the earpads. (Hats off to arnaud for figuring this out a few weeks back). The other thing I'd like to also propose is that the LCD-3s are much less forgiving of poor recordings compared to the LCD-2s. Rob (Skylab) mentioned this in his review as well:

"All that transparency and neutrality isn’t always a universally good thing, though.  There was a degree to which the LCD-2 allowed one to listen to sub-par recordings and not immediately be struck by how poor they are.  Not so with the LCD-3.  The Waterboys “This is the Sea” from the album of the same name came up on my iPod (which goes digitally via the Pure i20 into the RWA AE’s DAC) and I thought “wow that sounds really, really awful” – but that is just how that recording sounds.  It’s sinfully bright, and that is how the LCD-3 rendered it.  Up right after it was Nickel Creek’s “Best of Luck” from “Why Should the Fire Die”, and that sounded TERRIFIC, as I would expect.  All well recorded material sounded really, really good, and in fact, was the best I have ever personally heard from a headphone, including my beloved Sony MDR-R10."

So while transparency can be a good thing with excellent recordings, it can also take away enjoyment from the dogs in your music collection. Some have noted that the LCD-3s have sounded just great on some good quality jazz albums, but then their enjoyment was diminished on poorly recorded heavy medal albums. In this case, don't blame the LCD-3s for showing you what your LCD-2s hid from you. With great transparency comes great responsibility (bad Spiderman reference...I know
tongue.gif
).

So again, if your HD800s and LCD-3s sound great in your rig to you (with GOOD sources) then sit back and enjoy the tunes.
smile.gif

Feb 14, 2012 at 9:57 PM Post #3,730 of 11,521
First off, before the idea gets propagated that Audeze's issues are just the same variations that all other manufacturers endure let me be clear from my own personal experience and also clear up the idea that maybe 'veil' perceivers are 'unfamiliar' w/ Audeze house sound.  I've actually posted some of this before so apologies to those who actually read threads they subscribe to. 

Sampled below, all w/ tracks and gear I'm familiar with:

3 x LCD2 r.1's-various degrees of ringing, resonances and muddled bass w/ fast complex passages.  Some better than others, none were quite 'veiled' and had actually better clarity than I expected from comments about a 'dark' signature.  Driver issues, Audeze makes r.2.
3 xLCD2 r.2's-first early proto/production (not sure) at Buena Park Headroom meet, lush mids gone, peaky treble, dry, incoherent signature, What moment.  Second r.2 Anaheim meet, Mmmm...sounds good, mids mostly back, treble less peaky but still brighter than r.1.  Third r.2 belongs to Craig Uthus at Eddie Current and that sounds much like the second r.2.  New r.2 driver made to fix r.1 driver issues, first r.2 driver sounds like crap and nothing like subsequent r.2s which sound good.  Audeze makes LCD3.
2 x LCD3's, one later modded w/ TP.  First at the Anaheim meet, WTH?  Mids veiled and covered w/ a blanket, thought maybe earpads or fit issue; no $2K phone could possibly sound like this.  I hated this phone, especially for the price.  Second LCD3 belonged to purrin, sounded exactly the same.  Btw, he heard a second set at the same meet where I was unaware Audeze had brought a second pair later in the day.  So he has heard 3 LCD3's that all have the 'veil' as he reports they sound the same.  Heard the TP modded LCD3 and clarity is much better, not HD800 clarity and transparency but perhaps equal to a good r.1 but still behind the best LCD2r.2 I've heard.  Best case it sounds like an improved LCD2r.1 whereas the LCD2r.2 as I've come to know the signature is a bit of a departure compared to the other two models.

So IME, after listening to 8 various LCD2/3's incarnations I'm not impressed w/ the QC at all especially after being lectured by the owner of the company about how superb the measures were taken in construction of the LCD3.  Granted, like someone previous mentioned, I actually expect this level of QC from such a small operation, just not for $2K (personally) and not after having smoke blown up my a**.

FWIW, I've sampled 4 Beyer T1's now and they have a worse ratio IME.  One good sounding and three others clearly inferior in performance.  Even the best T1 I've heard makes my ears wonder if they would measure better than a DT880/600.  It sounded fun in an audiophile way but a tad on the unrefined, less liquid side of things, which is how the bad T1's sound but to the extreme of being distorted and sloppy.

Compared to these two models, all HD800's sound like HD800s of which I've probably sampled 5-6 pairs by now.  Not once have I heard something to make me ask myself whether there was something not indicative of any of them being an HD800 not performing as expected.  I expect this of Beyerdynamic, maybe not so much Audeze.

Take this and everyone else's impressions for what it's worth .  Those that want to ignore such experiences feel free, but don't put everything off to confused and inexperienced listeners.  We have data, measurements, impressions and even something of an Audeze admission that they are looking into something, whatever that might or might not be.  Being overly apologetic and equivocating will do nothing to resolve any possible issues or benefit potential future buyers and listeners.  We all tend to want to have what we like and dislike reinforced, but being dismissive of problems with substantial data in unconstructive.  I'll also say this, the last LCD2 mega thread was anything but an Audeze orgy of do no wrong perfection so I wouldn't say only people with issues will complain though I do tend to subscribe to the theory in general wrt forum posts.  Fanboyism is another behavioral tendency on forums.

Here are my theories about those who don't complain about their LCD3's sound.

1-Their LCD3 actually sound and measure correctly (ie. working as intended).
2-Their gear is powering through or synergizing w/ a less than ideal performing LCD3 in such a way as to be indistinguishable.
3-They psychoacoustically adjust to the 'veil' such that it disappears over time, happens all the time w/ bass response variations among phones.  One reason I A/B phones within tens of seconds using the same segment of tracks as to not let my brain and ears fool me when comparing.
4-They lack gear which might offer a different reference point to understand and witness what others perceive as 'veil' or other issues.

IMHO, YMMV, yada yada.....

Feb 14, 2012 at 10:00 PM Post #3,731 of 11,521
So you've sampled a whopping 5-6 pairs of HD800s and that's sufficient for the 12 000 or so made?
rolleyes.gif

Have a look at those links I provided with regards to the HD800 certificate thread earlier today.

Quote:
Don't want to go too far off topic, but I've actually heard dallan's HD800, and that one is bass lighter / brighter than mine (stock). His certificate seemed to confirm it.

We all have different tastes and you're is far from the "standard" here. Sheesh. Obviously you`re not a fan of the Audeze sound, that`s cool, but trust me, there are plenty of us who are.

I'm glad you've got to a place where you're happy with your HD800s and amp, but those of us who prefer other gear aren't wrong. We don't need to conform to your idea of what good sound is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back