New Audeze LCD3
Jan 19, 2012 at 8:11 AM Post #3,211 of 11,521
Things will be smoothed up, hopefully.

Jan 19, 2012 at 8:46 AM Post #3,212 of 11,521

Quote:
Thing will be smoothed up, hopefully.

Lets hope that does not include more post-test smoothing of the graphs...lol

Jan 19, 2012 at 3:15 PM Post #3,213 of 11,521
I think the trouble with the QC issues is not only the drivers going out, but how do I know for sure whether I have veiled mids (as has been indicated by some listeners)?  As I listen to my LCD-3's, it definitely sounds pretty veiled as compared to my HD 800's, but I don't know if that's just Audeze's "house sound," or if my LCD-3's really have a veiled mids defect.

Well, I stand corrected.  After two full days of burn-in, the LCD-3 has opened up and the veil has noticeably diminished.

Jan 19, 2012 at 4:30 PM Post #3,214 of 11,521

Quote:
I think the trouble with the QC issues is not only the drivers going out, but how do I know for sure whether I have veiled mids (as has been indicated by some listeners)?  As I listen to my LCD-3's, it definitely sounds pretty veiled as compared to my HD 800's, but I don't know if that's just Audeze's "house sound," or if my LCD-3's really have veiled mids defect.

Anyone in the Houston area want to meet up to compare LCD-3's?

That's a great question. I eventually felt comfortable declaring my LCD-3 "veiled" based upon having owned two previous pairs of Audez'e cans and knowing their house sound extremely well... but it took a lot of careful listening to finally accept the fact that something was wrong. I would absolutely recommend A-Bing different LCD-3s, as well as comparing to LCD-2s, to be sure.

Jan 19, 2012 at 4:47 PM Post #3,215 of 11,521
Quote:
It's slightly ironic that the two headphones mentioned for having the largest initial influx of QA problems, also happen to be the most expensive. Smh...

Life on the cutting edge is rough for early adopters that seek the best 
tongue_smile.gif

Jan 20, 2012 at 1:17 AM Post #3,217 of 11,521

Quote:
Now who is being naive. They should actually be getting better quality than Sennheiser because they are smaller and do not sell large numbers.

I'm sorry but i cannot agree. Small production has often yeilded terrible QC. Go shop some very high end sports cars like an Aston Martin or Ferrari for some excellent examples of this. Each vehicle painstakingly hand crafted and assembled largely by hand piece by piece, and also notorious for defects and oddities like rattling pieces of trim and windows that dont fully close. And thats just the cosmetic ones, never mind the issues mechanical in nature like the recent Ferrari 458 recall due to fires.

Sennheiser bought that repeatability in their product with millions of dollars invested in streamlined production and countless man hours worth of labor.

As far as them not selling large numbers, i cant speak for them but i'd bet the demand for the LCD-3 cought them completely off guard and they have more than their fair share of orders to fill. What did someone say the wait was, 2 weeks? Not too shabby at all.

Jan 20, 2012 at 1:33 AM Post #3,218 of 11,521
Whoo, had to cancel my order at the last moment.  Hopped for an He-500 instead.  For $2000, there better be some "absolute" difference in quality or it's a sucker bet.  Badly as I wanted it, had to let my brain take over.

Jan 20, 2012 at 1:35 AM Post #3,219 of 11,521
Hifiman's QC is only marginally better than Audeze. Like someone posted earlier, life on the edge is dangerous. Best you can do is rely on service to pull you through any issues. When I needed a copy of my invoice for the HE-6 I ordered only about a year prior, Hifiman's staff said they couldn't help me.

Jan 20, 2012 at 2:37 AM Post #3,220 of 11,521
Quote:
When I needed a copy of my invoice for the HE-6 I ordered only about a year prior, Hifiman's staff said they couldn't help me.

Can't you pull it up off of PayPal?

Jan 20, 2012 at 3:26 AM Post #3,221 of 11,521
Quote:

Can't you pull it up off of PayPal?

A bit off topic here, but it was paid through a different service. It shouldn't matter. The seller should always be able to generate a copy of an invoice for a customer. It's not like they are Walmart and have millions of customers a day. Is it really that hard to save a few thousand orders a year? My business generates about 2000 invoices a month but I can pull up an invoice from 20 years ago if a customer asks. The glory of computers...

Jan 20, 2012 at 3:47 AM Post #3,223 of 11,521

Quote:
Hifiman's QC is only marginally better than Audeze. Like someone posted earlier, life on the edge is dangerous. Best you can do is rely on service to pull you through any issues. When I needed a copy of my invoice for the HE-6 I ordered only about a year prior, Hifiman's staff said they couldn't help me.

I agree that's not the best service, but what does it have to do with QC?  AFAIK their QC is pretty good. 

Jan 20, 2012 at 4:42 AM Post #3,224 of 11,521
'Best you can do is rely on service to pull you through any issues'

Last bit I'm going to say on this. Way off topic here. When the QC fails, the service has to take care of you. Both companies have their issues there as well. I had a QC issue with my Schiit Bifrost today so I sent Jason a PM on head-fi, not email or some form on their site, or even call them. He responds with a return authorization number, and further communication in the middle of the night. Did he have to do that? No. Does it show he is dedicated to making sure his customers are completely satisfied? Yes. Hifiman can't be bothered to send me an invoice on a $1000 product. If I had a problem with the headphones themselves I hesitate to think what else they wouldn't care to do.

These bleeding edge companies need to iron out QC issues, but at the same time figure out their customer service. I see instances of people getting sent replacement LCD2/3, etc only to find a headphone that doesn't even work. If I'm the one handling a replacement headphone I'm going to test it myself before I box it up. If I have to take responsibility for it, I want to make sure I've done everything I can for the customer. The slow turn around times on returns, the lack of communication (waiting days for a response seems common lately), and ever growing prices are some things that have to be addressed. You can't charge more and give less without garnering some negative attention.

Jan 20, 2012 at 5:34 AM Post #3,225 of 11,521
havent followed this thread for a long time.. Wow what happened to LCD 3. Hopefullly my LCD 2 rev.1 can still keep working for another 5 months before I get a pair of LCD 3 rev.2 :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back