New Audeze LCD3
Dec 28, 2011 at 1:29 PM Post #2,776 of 11,521

Quote:
Yikes. There's some serious ego stroking going on here in some posts over a simple question.

Ahem. Aren't the LCD-3 drivers supposed to be engineered "from scratch" by Audez'e in-house? And isn't Audez'e supposed to be a few guys in a small facility here in the US?

Personally I don't care where anything is made.  What I like is having the company here is the U.S. if I need to send something back for any reason.  It's just more convenient.  That is what I look for first.  Where I might have to send something back.  The product itself can be made on the moon for all I care.

Dec 28, 2011 at 1:35 PM Post #2,777 of 11,521

Quote:
Modern economics and political reality says.  The operative word is minimum.  There is not one historical example in the world where collective bargaining is cheaper than minimum wage.  Look at UAW in Detroit.  Minimum wage is perhaps $8-$10/hr?  Starting pay for a UAW janitor is $25-$30/hr.  Minimum wage would be a substantial downgrade to what a union worker at VW gets.  15% of the cost of every German car made there goes straight to union coffers which is why companies like Lexus can offer better value.  Interestingly enough Audi manufactures in Hungary as a result.  

My "when all's said and done" line should have been placed after the two also's, incorporating total employee cost+moving manufacturing overseas .  

Dec 29, 2011 at 9:10 AM Post #2,778 of 11,521
My... This thread is way off topic 
evil_smiley.gif

Dec 29, 2011 at 9:42 AM Post #2,780 of 11,521
Then let's take it back 
beyersmile.png

Is the zebrano finish on the LCD-3 brown-ish or more like yellow? Because if you look at different photos some clearly show it's very yellow-ish (which I don't like) and some (like Audez'es own show a more light-brown finish. 

What does it look like IRL? Is it such a variation between each pair?

Dec 29, 2011 at 12:21 PM Post #2,781 of 11,521

Quote:

Is the zebrano finish on the LCD-3 brown-ish or more like yellow? Because if you look at different photos some clearly show it's very yellow-ish (which I don't like) and some (like Audez'es own show a more light-brown finish. 

In keeping with Purrin's TP mods, there are two finish options.  Number one and number two.

Dec 29, 2011 at 12:54 PM Post #2,789 of 11,521

The LCD-2s with Leather free version, metal headband are made after we receive the order. It will take us a few days to make them. The LCD-2 is the state of the art Planar Magnetic Headphone from Audez’e Inc. Every component of the LCD-2 is precision engineered with one goal in mind: Recreate the sound exactly like the artist intended. LCD-2 combines leading edge technology and development with knowledge, feedback and suggestions from an on-going dialogue with Sound Engineers and Audiophiles. The Audeze LCD-2 uses a proprietary thin film diaphragm that is housed between a unique super efficient push-pull magnetic structure. Audeze’s manufacturing process combined with the advanced materials and technology produce extremely accurate and incredible sounding headphones. The LCD-2s are made of hand selected Carribean Rosewood.  The earpads for the Leather free version are made from Faux Suede material.

Special Order: *Please selectLeather Free - Travel CaseLeather Free - Wood BoxMetal Headband - Travel CaseMetal Headband - Wood case

Its odd as the beginning descrip mentions a metal headband whereas the end singles out the earpads as different.  If the former than they may just have put up the wrong picture.  If the latter, then it's not really a version for vegans, its just for people who find that leather pads get to hot/have comfort issues.

Dec 29, 2011 at 1:06 PM Post #2,790 of 11,521

Quote:
Then let's take it back 
beyersmile.png

It's more on the yellow side as far as the lighter stripes of wood.

Zebrawood proper

The wood of Microberlinia, also known as Zebrano, is imported from Central Africa, (Gabon, Cameroon, and Congo). The heartwood is a pale golden yellow, distinct from the very pale colour of the sapwood and features narrow streaks of dark brown to black. Zebrawood can also be a pale brown with regular or irregular marks of dark brown in varying widths. It is almost always quartersawn to get the exciting alternating colour pattern.

It is a heavy and hard wood with a somewhat coarse texture, often with an interlocked or wavy grain. The interlocked grain of this wood, like that of many tropical woods, can make it difficult to work.

It is a decorative exotic wood, used in a limited way for veneer, wall paneling, custom furniture, furniture trim, inlay bandings, marquetry, specialty items and turnery. It is also sometimes seen as stocks of handguns or in exotic guitars. In the past it was used in Cadillac andMercedes-Benz automobiles. Because of its hardness, it can also be used for skis and tool handles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back