New Audeze LCD3
Dec 12, 2011 at 1:53 PM Post #2,506 of 11,521
Yeah, my preferences are why I think I probably lean closer to the Stax and HD800 camp right now.  I do think the Audezes are fun, but I don't really find them directly comparable to the 007.  A friend will be getting his HD800s soon and we'll be able to put it through a number of different amps.  I'd like to pick up a higher-end dynamic headphone sometime, and right now am leaning to HD800 over LCD2.2 or LCD3.

I had a GS-1 for awhile, and last I heard the Gilmore Lite, there wasn't a huge difference with the two amps, but I primarily used low impedance headphones with the amps.

Anyway, back to the LCD3 conversation...

Dec 12, 2011 at 2:06 PM Post #2,507 of 11,521

Quote:
Yeah, my preferences are why I think I probably lean closer to the Stax and HD800 camp right now.  I do think the Audezes are fun, but I don't really find them directly comparable to the 007.  A friend will be getting his HD800s soon and we'll be able to put it through a number of different amps.  I'd like to pick up a higher-end dynamic headphone sometime, and right now am leaning to HD800 over LCD2.2 or LCD3.

I had a GS-1 for awhile, and last I heard the Gilmore Lite, there wasn't a huge difference with the two amps, but I primarily used low impedance headphones with the amps.

Anyway, back to the LCD3 conversation...

While I do appreciate (and enjoy) the HD800s (owned them for almost 2 years now), I prefer the Audeze sound by a reasonable margin. kwkarth said it best (IMO) when he wrote that the HD800s sound like "hi end audiophile headphones " and that the LCD-2s sound "like real life". They are great complimentary headphone IMO as they portray two different perspectives.

With regards to the GS-1 vs. GLite, orthos really respond to more power (quite different than highly efficient dynamic headphones). So I would imagine that the GS-1 would be a better match. The GS-X with 2 W would be better still.

FWIW, I never really got into the SR007s. I've heard them a few separate times (including at a friends place for quite a while) but I was never moved enough to buy them. I much prefer the LCD-3's presentation and sound.

Dec 12, 2011 at 2:23 PM Post #2,508 of 11,521
Yeah.  I have considerably altered the 'standard' 'GES/323S -> SR007A' sound on my setup, and it has a very different presentation now (some people have described it as speaker-like and like a hybrid of dynamics+stats).  If I was unsuccessful with that experiment, I would've sold my stats off awhile ago and picked up a HD800 and BA.  I think the standard electrostat presentation on the low-mid end amps have some aspects to the sound I don't like (very little depth to soundstage, not enough impact and bass for my preferences).  I don't recommend stats for people who don't have the money, time, and inclination to work towards a personalized chain.  I haven't heard a high-end stat amp, so maybe there are other ways to accomplish that goal.  The fun part about this hobby is testing and tweaking things, and my preferred sound might be quite different from many other people here.

I didn't know the Audezes are tough to drive.  The LCD2.2 sounded nice through the beta22 and BA.  Was reading some criticism that the Audeze drivers might be too large, too.  Guess I'll have to try a LCD2.2 or 3 through the Super 7, since that's even more powerful than the BA iirc.

Dec 12, 2011 at 11:55 PM Post #2,510 of 11,521
The Audeze LCD3 has never failed to amaze me. The bass, the creaminess and the mid range details - all surpassed the LCD2 Rev 1.  It is still no Stax, but for an office setup (except maybe Jude's or ttyl's office) it is as good as it gets, for me.

If you are like me - you want things to excel to its best in the area which it is strongest (LCD3), rather than things which try to be something it isn't and at the same time losing some of its strengths (LCD2 Rev 2), the LCD3 is for you. If you want to own only ONE pair of top end headphone and is happy with somewhere in between these (good) extremes, and if you will not venture into electrostats, look into other options as well -  like HD800 or LCD2 Rev 2.  

I have ordered the Smyth Realiser. Once it arrives I will have this most ridiculous experience of having a pair of Magnepans 20.1 setup right here in my office room - of course not real ones - but through the Realizer -> Liquid Fire (Telefunken 1940's CCa's) -> LCD3 combo. The Magnepans 20.1 PRIR will be done at my friend's home. I am interested to see his reaction after he has heard how the Realiser "copied" his system.
biggrin.gif

Dec 13, 2011 at 12:02 AM Post #2,511 of 11,521
Last audio purchase of 2011 my foot. :D

Quote:
The Audeze LCD3 has never failed to amaze me. The bass, the creaminess and the mid range details - all surpassed the LCD2 Rev 1.  It is still no Stax, but for an office setup (except maybe Jude's or ttyl's office) it is as good as it gets, for me.

I have ordered the Smyth Realiser. Once it arrives I will have this most ridiculous experience of having a pair of Magnepans 20.1 setup right here in my office room - of course not real ones - but through the Realizer -> Liquid Fire (Telefunken 1940's CCa's) -> LCD3 combo. The Magnepans 20.1 PRIR will be done at my friend's home. I am interested to see his reaction after he has heard how the Realiser "copied" his system.
biggrin.gif

Dec 13, 2011 at 12:09 AM Post #2,512 of 11,521
OK the Realiser really would be my last audio purchase for 2011......
bigsmile_face.gif

Now the only thing missing ... the BHSE...

Dec 13, 2011 at 12:40 AM Post #2,517 of 11,521

Quote:

If you are like me - you want things to excel to its best in the area which it is strongest (LCD3), rather than things which try to be something it isn't and at the same time losing some of its strengths (LCD2 Rev 2), the LCD3 is for you. If you want to own only ONE pair of top end headphone and is happy with somewhere in between these (good) extremes, and if you will not venture into electrostats, look into other options as well -  like HD800 or LCD2 Rev 2.  

biggrin.gif

Smyth Realiser...  I'm so jealous!  No more resonance problems for you!

Look forward to your observations.

Dec 13, 2011 at 9:04 AM Post #2,518 of 11,521
G

technically, (i have the Smyth..) your friend would not be listening to his Magnepans with his own ears at your place and those LCD3+Realiser since you sampled the setup while the mike is on your head.

however minute that difference in the "head+mike+space" geometry is, there is one.
so, there really is no way to "surprise" your friend unless you drug him/her and take a measurement while sedated.

paul

Quote:

biggrin.gif

Dec 13, 2011 at 11:04 AM Post #2,519 of 11,521
I intend for him to do the measurements right at the spot too and let him compare the LCD3+Smyth (too much trouble to bring along the Liquid Fire or Leben) with his system... I of course will do the same...

Dec 13, 2011 at 11:24 AM Post #2,520 of 11,521
Had a lengthy conversations at the beginning of the year with the designer at Smyth.
I realized at the time that I was one of a few that requested for customization of the input sampled parameters.
..and possibly opening up an apps store where folks across the world can trade the profiles.
With the customization functions, one can then adjust it to their own geometries.
But I think the purist that was Smyth and I eventually believe that the results would not be precise enough.
Still, opening some repository where guys like us can trade files (listening experiences) maybe a lot of fun.
Any lawyers in the house?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back