New Audeze LCD3
Nov 17, 2011 at 6:24 PM Post #1,546 of 11,521
hmm.. comparing the frequency measurement charts which have been posted of the LCD-3, mine seems to dip much more between the 8-9 Khz range. Is this something I should be worried about? Would there be an audible difference in SQ?

Nov 17, 2011 at 6:36 PM Post #1,547 of 11,521
Yeah. You got screwed. I'm glad I got a cherry picked one. At least according to meh FR graph.

Don't worry about it, narrow valleys are extremely hard to notice, if at all.

Nov 17, 2011 at 7:23 PM Post #1,548 of 11,521
looks really deep and it's not that narrow. u will hear less sparkle notes I guess. I actually like this:)

Quote:
hmm.. comparing the frequency measurement charts which have been posted of the LCD-3, mine seems to dip much more between the 8-9 Khz range. Is this something I should be worried about? Would there be an audible difference in SQ?

Nov 17, 2011 at 7:24 PM Post #1,549 of 11,521

Quote:
...complete with ALO "Ghost of Jacob Marley" headphone cable 

ROTFL, and then some. 
beerchug.gif

Nov 17, 2011 at 8:00 PM Post #1,550 of 11,521

Quote:
Not odd if you are someone who perceives very few headphones as being neutral. There are probably no more than 4 headphones I would call neutral or close to neutral, and with the exception of the SR009, none of them have been mentioned in this thread (or many others for that matter.)

Yes. 

My original post was poorly worded.  I should have written: Odd so many disparate headphones are perceived as neutral when they all possess significant peaks, valleys, falloffs above 1kHz.

One camp declares the K701 neutral; another, the LCD2.  Neither are "neutral."

Nov 17, 2011 at 8:13 PM Post #1,551 of 11,521
A headphone/system that sounds neutral for one person may not for the next person, and neutral doesn't necessarily mean the most pleasant to listen to.

Just my 2¢, YMMV 
rolleyes.gif

Nov 17, 2011 at 9:08 PM Post #1,552 of 11,521

Quote:
A headphone/system that sounds neutral for one person may not for the next person, and neutral doesn't necessarily mean the most pleasant to listen to.

Just my 2¢, YMMV 
rolleyes.gif

I completely agree.  If anything should be evident from reading head-fi, it is that we all hear very differently.  And a truly ruler-flat FR from a headphone would likely sound very bright to almost anyone.

Nov 17, 2011 at 10:11 PM Post #1,553 of 11,521
Question for Skylab, Where do the graphs being shown here come from? Is each headfier making his own with testing equipment, or is Audeze supplying a test graph with each set of phones? The reason I ask is I did not receive anything like that with my LCD3s. Thanks

Nov 17, 2011 at 10:16 PM Post #1,554 of 11,521

Quote:
Question for Skylab, Where do the graphs being shown here come from? Is each headfier making his own with testing equipment, or is Audeze supplying a test graph with each set of phones? The reason I ask is I did not receive anything like that with my LCD3s. Thanks

Not Rob here, but they SHOULD be included with each and every LCD-2 and LCD-3. I'd shoot Sankar an email to get yours. They are made specific by Audeze for each serial number.

Nov 17, 2011 at 10:18 PM Post #1,555 of 11,521
Quote:

Didn't you get a manila envelope that said "Warranty and Documents"?  It should have been in there.

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Nov 17, 2011 at 11:09 PM Post #1,557 of 11,521

Quote:
I completely agree.  If anything should be evident from reading head-fi, it is that we all hear very differently.  And a truly ruler-flat FR from a headphone would likely sound very bright to almost anyone.

I guess only few people go out to concert halls and other jazz lounge so quickly get into listening preference and fantasy of what should sound right ( like brilliant classical piece when, for most seats, it's actually very dark sounding).

Having said that, I am not sure how you're coming up with the flat response sounding bright to most ears. From the look of these graphs, these are compensated (e.g a flat line is what the dummy head measures under diffuse or free field sound incidence). There's no correct target for anyone but neutral is, give or take, a flat compensated response...

Nov 17, 2011 at 11:15 PM Post #1,558 of 11,521

Quote:

Just my 2¢, YMMV 
rolleyes.gif

Funny how we tend to not have such problems with speakers from $1299 $600 up.

Anyways by "neutral", this is what I mean:

• A line that's fairly straight without wierd peaks, valleys, jaggies, shelves, resonances, and other wierd crap. I find that so long as that line is straight (not necessarily totally flat), whether it be slightly tilted downward toward the treble (dark) or slight tilted upward (bright), my ears can usually adjust to the sound. I don't find any of the LCD#'s neutral because of the treble shelf, but I find the HP1000 "neutral" even though it is dark (has a downward tilt.) I find the UERM and ESP950 to be neutral and also flat (neither dark or bright).
  • The slope or tilt of the line is not excessive.

As long as the line is straight despite any slight slope to it = something that should truly be worthy of consideration. Personal tastes (bright or dark preference) can then be taken into account. I hope this makes more sense.

BTW headphone FR measurements are still in their infancy. We really can't trust much other than comparing relative levels - and only if the same measurement methodology is used.

Nov 18, 2011 at 12:09 AM Post #1,559 of 11,521
The reason I posted my graphs is because I wanted to point out that, since the FR response between my LCD-2s and 3s are so similar, if there is an improvement in the latter, it will be from actual technical merit and not just because the frequency response has changed to something I like more, as my r2s did over the originals.

Nov 18, 2011 at 12:53 AM Post #1,560 of 11,521
Ahh!

As n3rdling said, the Audeze graphs are too smoothed to be a good indicator. Looks like 1/2 or 1/3 octave smoothing to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back