New Audeze LCD3
Nov 14, 2011 at 9:59 PM Post #1,322 of 11,521
To me, the LCD-3 has less clamp but puts a bit more weight at the center point on the top of your head

Nov 14, 2011 at 10:09 PM Post #1,323 of 11,521
An R1 Advantage: It's easier to raise the volume of the LCD-2 R1 than the LCD-3. The LCD-3 is not bright, and overall the bass is better in definition and extension certainly. But if you want intense impact, the R1 allows one to increase the volume to a point at which impact is powerful without the highs hurting one's ears as much. The R1 has the advantage when I want the most intense bass impact at a high volume without seriously hurting my ears. Of course, this situation occurs only on certain songs and in the right mood. Nevertheless, the bass impact of the R1 and the LCD-3 seem to be the same so far.

Nov 14, 2011 at 10:14 PM Post #1,324 of 11,521

Quote:
An R1 Advantage: It's easier to raise the volume of the LCD-2 R1 than the LCD-3. The LCD-3 is not bright, and overall the bass is better in definition and extension certainly. But if you want intense impact, the R1 allows one to increase the volume to a point at which impact is powerful without the highs hurting one's ears as much. The R1 has the advantage when I want the most intense bass impact at a high volume without seriously hurting my ears. Of course, this situation occurs only on certain songs and in the right mood. Nevertheless, the bass impact of the R1 and the LCD-3 seem to be the same so far.

Funny I find the LCD-3s slightly easier to drive than the LCD-2 R2s. They're likely in between the R1 and R2s in this regard.

Nov 14, 2011 at 10:36 PM Post #1,325 of 11,521
i meant no insult.

to googleli: i used the luxman p1u which is better than the p200 and preferred tubes with these. namely, ear hp4 with nos mullards. a rare time i prefer tubes. i have to say the sound was sublime. i have to give one caveat though. maybe i said what i said because planers and electrostats are just not my favorites. they are very good i just personally prefer traditional dynamic transducers. thats just my feeling though and should not steer anyone in any direction. these are outstanding headphones and you will need some serious front end. i am using levinson digital into a da924 with kubala elation.

Nov 14, 2011 at 11:15 PM Post #1,326 of 11,521

Experiment: get some medical cotton, make two small cotton ear plugs, tune ear plug density, enjoy: "intense impact" at higher volume. All with a smooth, "analogue" sound. Tested with my Beyerdynamic MMX300. :)

Nov 15, 2011 at 12:01 AM Post #1,327 of 11,521

Quote:
Funny I find the LCD-3s slightly easier to drive than the LCD-2 R2s. They're likely in between the R1 and R2s in this regard.

Sounded to me as though he was talking about how loud you can take the Rev.1's without your ears bleeding from the highs, not how easy they are to drive.

Nov 15, 2011 at 7:50 AM Post #1,328 of 11,521

Quote:
I seriously fail to comprehend why people keep trying to objectively rank component importance.  It seems to me the most important link is the one that is the weakest link/ bottleneck at the time, not touching #5 in my commentary.

QFT. The last few days I've been pondering something meaningful and to the point to say regarding posts about which component is more important and you've nailed it totally.

Quote:
i meant no insult.

to googleli: i used the luxman p1u which is better than the p200 and preferred tubes with these. namely, ear hp4 with nos mullards. a rare time i prefer tubes. i have to say the sound was sublime. i have to give one caveat though. maybe i said what i said because planers and electrostats are just not my favorites. they are very good i just personally prefer traditional dynamic transducers. thats just my feeling though and should not steer anyone in any direction. these are outstanding headphones and you will need some serious front end. i am using levinson digital into a da924 with kubala elation.

Damn that's a seriously enviable rig.  At least I can say I've heard the LCD-3s with the HP4, though with vinyl, and it was indeed sublime. I can only wish that I could justify a DA924.

Nov 15, 2011 at 9:06 AM Post #1,329 of 11,521
Currawong - your impression is very important indeed, as you are probably the only one in the world who auditioned the EAR HP4 with the LCD3. I am contemplating a good setup for the office at the moment. If you have the chance with the Liquid Fire as well, please let me know your impressions especially against the EAR HP4. Many thanks.

Nov 15, 2011 at 3:14 PM Post #1,330 of 11,521
My LCD-3s arrived at 10AM this Tuesday Morning along with my Q-audio cable order. I was order #646. Spent a couple hours listening to a wide variety of music. They pair very well with the RSA Apache. These cans add bass to stuff that does not have even has have any. Even some early Beach Boys had some decent bottom end. Side by side comparisons to my K701s make the AKGs seem like a toy. I think I will be giving them away to someone as a Christmas gift. It will take a lot more time, but my early impression is that I could not be happier. 

Nov 15, 2011 at 3:52 PM Post #1,331 of 11,521

Quote:
These cans add bass to stuff that does not have even has have any.

Not necessarily a good thing - I think I get your drift though 
wink.gif

Nov 15, 2011 at 3:55 PM Post #1,332 of 11,521

Quote:
My LCD-3s arrived at 10AM this Tuesday Morning along with my Q-audio cable order. I was order #646. Spent a couple hours listening to a wide variety of music. They pair very well with the RSA Apache. These cans add bass to stuff that does not have even has have any. Even some early Beach Boys had some decent bottom end. Side by side comparisons to my K701s make the AKGs seem like a toy. I think I will be giving them away to someone as a Christmas gift. It will take a lot more time, but my early impression is that I could not be happier. 

Probably meant "These cans add bass to stuff that does not have even has have any out of the K701."

Nov 15, 2011 at 4:19 PM Post #1,333 of 11,521
These are some serious headphones.  I've had them for an hour now.  I can already say now that while they are the very best, they more revealing of bad recordings than the LCD2 (in the same vein as the HD800).  I can see these headphones seriously underperforming with bad gear.  

Nov 15, 2011 at 4:30 PM Post #1,334 of 11,521

Quote:
These are some serious headphones.  I've had them for an hour now.  I can already say now that while they are the very best, they more revealing of bad recordings than the LCD2 (in the same vein as the HD800).  I can see these headphones seriously underperforming with bad gear.  

Yep.  I have tried them now on 4 different amps (some are vintage) with 2 dacs.  All are different.  They are very transparent.  Definite keepers.... very nice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back