New Audeze LCD3
Nov 13, 2011 at 5:43 AM Post #1,186 of 11,521

Quote:
Although I think the headphone itself is the most important, I always feel that getting the right source (and DACs in general actually) doesn't seem to be of much importance in this forum which is a real pity. I would rather have my Parasound and a CMOY rather than a crappy DAC feeding the β22. 

What’s a crappy DAC nowadays? From my experience most DACs are more alike than amps, I’ve found the pairing of amp and headphone is the most critical.

Nov 13, 2011 at 6:26 AM Post #1,187 of 11,521
I was subtly referring to some of those suspect Chinese ones. 
tongue.gif

Nov 13, 2011 at 8:08 AM Post #1,189 of 11,521
I think one needs something well above US$ 5K to do the high end headphones any justice, but of course that is just a ball park, and more expensive DACs do not necessarily mean better SQ. But IME, you really need to get past that price hurdle to get something which is clearly head and shoulders above other DACs which are flooding the market today. The entry level to high end DACs is the Weiss DAC 202. And it is indeed quite fair to say most sub $5K DACs make no difference at all and any differences are just a tuning of tonality for these sub-5K DACs.

Of course, you would not get a sudden big jump at the $5K point, it's just a ballpark, but I find that not a lot of DACs are priced between $4K and $5K, and we do hear not insignificant improvements beyond that price point, so I think it is a fair ballpark. Beyond that you really need to go over the US$12K (HK$100K) price point for something better. But of course, YMMV.

I know the source-first theory is the minority on Head-fi - but as other Head-fiers on this thread have pointed out, the higher end rigs (amp and headphones) you get, the more you will find a better source to be an improvement to the overall system - previously you can't hear the improvement, because the amp and headphone are the bottleneck. Once you get something like the Liquid Fire / Leben and the LCD3, the quality of source will matter, big time.

Nov 13, 2011 at 8:16 AM Post #1,190 of 11,521

Quote:
I think one needs something well above 5k US to do the high end headphones any justice, but of course yhat is just a ball park, and more expensive DACs do not necessarily better SQ. But ime you really need to get through that price hurdle to truly appreciate your other higher end stuff down the chain.

I agree, my moon audio dac offers imo, a very noticeable step up in performance over say a burson da160 whether it be through headphones or speakers. To my ears, the most noticeable differences can be heard in the soundstage, imaging, instrument definition, transient speed as well as overall smoothness of delivery.

Nov 13, 2011 at 8:17 AM Post #1,191 of 11,521
If you don't like the sound of your headphones which should have a similar sound signature across most amps and sources then it doesn't matter how good a source or amp you have.  You will still not like the headphones.  I always try to pick the headphone and then look for as good of a source and amp as I can afford.  Interestingly, it seems like you can get better sources for less money now more than you used to so holding to a strict percentage in terms of amount spent on each part of your system may not be the best way to go.  I usually find the amp is the least important aspect but there does seem a floor in terms of price level that you will reach, below which the amp will have a detrimental effect on your system.  I'm just getting back into headphones after a long absence.  Not sure how long it will last but giving it a try once again. 

Nov 13, 2011 at 8:45 AM Post #1,192 of 11,521
Tyrion is also right. For example, although I enjoy the ED10 more than the LCD2 for a very limited genres of music, I can never find any source or amp combinations I have heard for it to suit female vocal and jazz, and has been collecting dust since my SR009 arrived. It is important to find an amp and headphone which sounds right to you first, but after that I think it would not do you any harm to go all out for a better source. Source first doesn't mean you have to buy a good source before anything else - it means you should try to improve the source, as much as you can, from preventing it being the bottleneck after you have found the amp/headphone/speaker combination you truly like, and try to find the best source which has the best synergy with your system. 

The overall sound of your system is as good as the worst part of your gear chain.

Nov 13, 2011 at 9:50 AM Post #1,193 of 11,521
Just checked my tracking info and guess what - my LCD3 has already arrived at Hong Kong International Airport and is waiting for custom clearance in the morning. With a little luck with the custom it will arrive at my office Monday Hong Kong time. If FedEx can make the estimated delivery time, it will be less than 18 hours from now. I will test it with my brick rig in my office first and then bring it home the same day to try out with my home gear. I guess it is a little advantage we have paying over USD100 for shipping...

Nov 13, 2011 at 9:52 AM Post #1,194 of 11,521

Quote:
Just checked my tracking info and guess what - my LCD3 has already arrived at Hong Kong International Airport and is waiting for custom clearance in the morning. With a little luck with the custom it will arrive at my office Monday Hong Kong time. I will test it with my brick rig in my office first and then bring it home the same day to try out with my home gear.

Great news! Looking forward to your impressions.

Nov 13, 2011 at 11:08 AM Post #1,195 of 11,521
Same here. My pair is already in Philly so it should be able to make it across the river to south jersey tomorrow. 

Nov 13, 2011 at 2:01 PM Post #1,196 of 11,521

Quote:
Once you get something like the Liquid Fire / Leben and the LCD3, the quality of source will matter, big time.

How many of theses components have you actually heard - I’m guessing  none ?

Sorry guys I just don’t believe that DACs improve significantly if at all.

Nov 13, 2011 at 2:18 PM Post #1,197 of 11,521
Can somebody who have gotten a shipping confirmation reply with what order number they have gotten from Audeze? Mine order number is 667, and I was on the pre-order list.

Thanks in advance
Jørgen

Nov 13, 2011 at 5:08 PM Post #1,198 of 11,521
Oh, they do. Sometimes in a rather unexpected and dramatic fashion. Such a serendipity occurred to me a few weeks ago while looking at a Leben, but ended up having a wow moment at the sound of a dac compared to the one I had (quite a good one too, the Wyred DAC-2)

Nov 13, 2011 at 7:30 PM Post #1,200 of 11,521

Quote:

Quote:
Oh, they do. Sometimes in a rather unexpected and dramatic fashion. Such a serendipity occurred to me a few weeks ago while looking at a Leben, but ended up having a wow moment at the sound of a dac compared to the one I had (quite a good one too, the Wyred DAC-2)

Lets see, in the course of just 3 weeks mwilson has heard and reported on the Red Wine Audio. Audeze Edition. The Liquid Fire, 2 Lebens of the same model, and the Resolution Cantata, while at the same time having the W4S DAC-2 and the WA22.  

ZoomButt.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back