New Audeze LCD3
Oct 31, 2011 at 7:49 AM Post #931 of 11,521

Quote:

Thanks for your impressions. I wouldn't call it a review because it doesn't really provide details on the sonic characteristics of the LCD-3 nor compare it with other well-received headphones in the market. Hoping for more detailed reviews to come.

I would like to know what the sonic differences are between the LCD-2.2 and LCD-3. Is it worth the upgrade for those of us who already own the LCD-2.2?

That's why we have skylab :wink: ..dB

Oct 31, 2011 at 8:04 AM Post #932 of 11,521

Quote:
I would like to know what the sonic differences are between the LCD-2.2 and LCD-3. Is it worth the upgrade for those of us who already own the LCD-2.2?

Me too, this is my dilemma. The LCD-3 sounds great but the expectation of an even better LCD-4 next year and the LCD-3's very high price coupled with my satisfaction with my current LCD-2.2s makes this a really tough descision.

Oct 31, 2011 at 1:00 PM Post #933 of 11,521

Quote:
Me too, this is my dilemma. The LCD-3 sounds great but the expectation of an even better LCD-4 next year and the LCD-3's very high price coupled with my satisfaction with my current LCD-2.2s makes this a really tough descision.

I keep reading about LCD-4 like it's a solid roadmap goal, but I believe Alex was only quoted of "known things to be improved in the future, and maybe a new generation in a year or two".
Personally, what stops me from buying LCD-3 now is not an expectation for a superior successor, but the inevitable necessity of building a high end system around these cans, in order to reveal their potential.

Oct 31, 2011 at 1:38 PM Post #934 of 11,521
Perhaps not at full potential but seriously foot stomping good 
0536d45b_IMAG0762.jpeg

..dB

Nov 1, 2011 at 12:39 AM Post #937 of 11,521
Quote:
I think there would be less of a need for a cable for the LCD-3 (and LCD-2) compared to the LCD-2. As I recall, people were using aftermarket cables for the LCD-2r1 to brighten up the dark signature. I don't believe in $500 cables much anyways because there are better ways to tweak the sound, like swapping tubes or upgrading DACs.

I've personally never experienced a cable that changed anything soundwise, but I would bet that at significant part of the LCD-# buyers will say that without a suitable aftermarket cable, one won't be able to experience the full yumminess of the LCD-3 sound.

Nov 1, 2011 at 2:41 AM Post #938 of 11,521

Quote:
I've personally never experienced a cable that changed anything soundwise, but I would bet that at significant part of the LCD-# buyers will say that without a suitable aftermarket cable, one won't be able to experience the full yumminess of the LCD-3 sound.

And your point is other than making an offhanded remark to insult people who do hear differences in cables?  

Nov 1, 2011 at 3:05 AM Post #939 of 11,521
Well you could also say that using the LCD-3 with anything less than an Esoteric source and a $10k tube amp is missing out on the full LCD-3 yummies also.  Nothing wrong with sticking to the stock cable if you can't hear any differences, but I would suggest to audition a few as some of them have obvious changes to many ears here.

Nov 1, 2011 at 4:06 AM Post #940 of 11,521
I will try the LCD-3 with my home rig, namely Esoteric K-01, and a tube amp - not a $10,000 tube amp but the tube amp at the very top spot on Skylab's list, the Leben CS300XS. The Esoteric K-01 is powered by the Isotek flagship power cable Synco, and the Leben is powered by Siltech Ruby Hill II G7 power cord. The interconnect will be TaraLabs The One, and the headphone cable will be the same Norse 8-conductor cable I have been using for the LCD-2. The downside is, once I have tried it, I may be reluctant to bring the LCD-3 to office for use with my CLAS->DB2->SR71B->ALO balanced cable combo. And I will have to stick with my LCD-2 in the office... Or get a second pair of LCD-3...  

Nov 1, 2011 at 4:56 AM Post #941 of 11,521
I can't help it, but I find the LCD-3 design (compared to the LCD-2) quite bad. If I buy the LCD-3, I will concider replacing the brown pads and headband with the black versions currently sold separate. That would make it som much more easy-on-the-eyes. :) 

Nov 1, 2011 at 5:01 AM Post #942 of 11,521

Quote:
I will try the LCD-3 with my home rig, namely Esoteric K-01, and a tube amp - not a $10,000 tube amp but the tube amp at the very top spot on Skylab's list, the Leben CS300XS. The Esoteric K-01 is powered by the Isotek flagship power cable Synco, and the Leben is powered by Siltech Ruby Hill II G7 power cord. The interconnect will be TaraLabs The One, and the headphone cable will be the same Norse 8-conductor cable I have been using for the LCD-2. The downside is, once I have tried it, I may be reluctant to bring the LCD-3 to office for use with my CLAS->DB2->SR71B->ALO balanced cable combo. And I will have to stick with my LCD-2 in the office... Or get a second pair of LCD-3...  

Sounds like the 09's aren't getting much love.  Better send them to me...

Nov 1, 2011 at 10:06 AM Post #943 of 11,521
I hear you.

I've been in the same boat for a long time, until I changed a speaker cable for another one, and all of the sudden the experience was kicked up a notch. It was a cheap monoprice cable, so it's not like my subconscious was trying to justify the expese. Years later, when I got the LCD-2, I replaced the stock cable with Q Audio, and immediately noticed a great improvement in sound. Bass, details, rather noticeable. I had my wife change cables while I was turned away, and could immediately tell which one was which. A few months afterwards, when I auditioned the RWA AE, it came supplied with a rather expensive ALO copper and silver number. Guess what? I immediately noticed the difference, but to my ears, it was for the worse. I preferred the Q and even the stock cable over the ALO. Yesterday, while auditioning a new DAC, I changed from my usual interconnects (Wireworld Eclipse 6) to a pair of Crimson something-or-another, don't quite recall as they were on loan from the dealer. I immediately noticed the sound being a bit flatter, mids more recessed, and less brightness in the highs (this actually I liked).

Power cable wise, as soon as I replaced a decent stock power cable with Shunyata Research's Venom 3, I noticed precisely nothing that I could quantify. Others have different ears and opinions; for example WarriorAnt swears by his Venom 3 (and I don't doubt him, given his background) whereas I can't detect anything that I can place past placebo. I figured the thicker the better, so I'm done spending on power cables for now.

Quote:

Nov 1, 2011 at 12:42 PM Post #944 of 11,521
For those who may be interested:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/578219/review-audeze-lcd-3-planar-magnetic-headphones#post_7861501

Nov 1, 2011 at 12:58 PM Post #945 of 11,521
Excellent review skylab!! I really enjoyed reading it. Seems like LCD 3 really is the best dynamic headphone! I
etysmile.gif

Quote:
For those who may be interested:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/578219/review-audeze-lcd-3-planar-magnetic-headphones#post_7861501

Users who are viewing this thread

Back