New Audeze LCD3
Sep 20, 2015 at 10:24 AM Post #10,711 of 11,521

I'll be more specific since I own both, and I've heard the LCD-2, LCD-2.1, LCD-X and my preference is still the LCD-3F

The HD800 is a different animal entirely, with a mid-fi amp (ex. Meier and Schit -Rag) the LCD-3F is more impressive,
but with the GS-Xmk2 amp which I am currently using the HD800 gets scary good, the soundstage, comfort, and imaging>LCD-3F the Bass and Mids are close to =

Thx that is very helpful.. I've invested as much as I'm going to into amps with my Lyr + HG tubes so I'll just stick with my LCDs then.

Sep 20, 2015 at 8:40 PM Post #10,712 of 11,521

dubstep girl says the gx-xmk2 and schitt rag sound nearly identical - you disagree?

Depends on the HP, with the LCD-3F the Rag and GS-Xmk2 are close, but the bass extension in my opinion is still better with the GS-X,
the HD800 opens up with the GS-Xmk2, outside a pimped out WA5 the best I have heard with that HP

The one other issue I had with the Rag it runs hot, real hot
The Yggy DAC however is a real keeper

Sep 20, 2015 at 9:40 PM Post #10,714 of 11,521
As an LCD-2f-er thinking about +1ing it, I'm curious what others have found and whether it is worth it.

For me, the moment came when I was swapping back and forth between my XC and the 2s.  I noticed two things:
1. The XC seemed to have just as much bass, but there was additional higher energy that the 2 was lacking. So the 2 feels like it has more bass, but it is relative to the higher end.

2. The XC seemed to me considerably more transparent than the 2.  It was as if I'd opened a window... when I put them on.

That being said, I really love listening to the 2s, they just have a very "natural" and musical feel to them.

If it makes sense, what I would be hoping is that the 3 would retain the musical feel while increasing the level of transparency.

The 3f is certainly worth it. To my ear, they have a bigger, more resolute sound than the 2f with slightly less grain. This is not to say that the 2f is not a fantastic headphone,because it is! I've auditioned both the X and XC and while they do have more high frequency energy, I still prefer both the 2f and 3f. The X /XC just don't commit to that "full on" magical midrange that the LCD line is known for. This makes the 2/3f sound more musical to me. I was going back and forth between all of these phones for a good hour at a local meet and I stand by my opinion. I still think the X/XC are still wonderful headphones and miles ahead of many other TOTL headphones out there. I also found the XC to have a wonky kind of sound with certain material that I did not like at all. Not always noticeable but enough for me to dismiss them as a possible future purchase.

Sep 27, 2015 at 11:59 AM Post #10,716 of 11,521
Hey Rumay do you prefer the LCD 3s enough to justify the extra price? Since you've had experience with all the other ones I'd like your opinion. I'm wanting to get an open back headphone and get rid of my XCs so I've been looking at the LCD-2 and LCD-3

Sep 27, 2015 at 9:45 PM Post #10,720 of 11,521
  Hey Rumay do you prefer the LCD 3s enough to justify the extra price? Since you've had experience with all the other ones I'd like your opinion. I'm wanting to get an open back headphone and get rid of my XCs so I've been looking at the LCD-2 and LCD-3

Obviously snag the 3's at a decent discount, compared with the 2, 2.1 and X's the 3's have a bass extension I have never heard from any other HP.
My other HP is a HD800, decent enough bass when properly amped, but the LCD-3 does to bass what the 800 does for imaging depends on what you like to listen to, Rock rolls with the 3 

Sep 27, 2015 at 11:29 PM Post #10,721 of 11,521
Hey Guys,

Had my LCD3's fail again (2rd time in 1 year) have emailed Audeze support and am awaiting a response

How do you guys store your headphones when not using them? I'm trying to figure if i have a cursed pair or if there is something i am generally doing wrong in their care.

They have there own stand in the shade, I dont listen above 80 DB or for more than 4 hours at a time, Always gentle with them, never plug/ unplug with the amp turned on generally take excellent care of them.

Since Ive owned them Ive had 1 pair sent back DOA (mangled frame issue) and then the second pair had a driver failure at 6 months and another driver failure now. Also had the yokes replaced and pads swapped. Mine were bought new in in September 2014 if that helps for batch versions/ anyone having similar sort of luck?

Sep 27, 2015 at 11:36 PM Post #10,722 of 11,521
  Hey Guys,

Had my LCD3's fail again (2rd time in 1 year) have emailed Audeze support and am awaiting a response

How do you guys store your headphones when not using them? I'm trying to figure if i have a cursed pair or if there is something i am generally doing wrong in their care.

They have there own stand in the shade, I dont listen above 80 DB or for more than 4 hours at a time, Always gentle with them, never plug/ unplug with the amp turned on generally take excellent care of them.

Since Ive owned them Ive had 1 pair sent back DOA (mangled frame issue) and then the second pair had a driver failure at 6 months and another driver failure now. Also had the yokes replaced and pads swapped. Mine were bought new in in September 2014 if that helps for batch versions/ anyone having similar sort of luck?

Wow, bummer shipping them from NZ eh?

Check this thread for similar experiences . . . post #1

Sep 27, 2015 at 11:46 PM Post #10,723 of 11,521
  Hey Guys,

I've had mine since 9/2013 and never had an issue as of yet. I don't think storage or usage has anything to do with it. Probably a bad batch of drivers or something. 

Sep 28, 2015 at 3:03 AM Post #10,724 of 11,521
I've heard similar from other 2013 buyers, Wondering if it was the 14 and later drivers which are effected.

Sep 28, 2015 at 5:36 AM Post #10,725 of 11,521
I just swung over here after posting a speculation there might be an environmental cause in the 'how many times...' thread. I really doubt anyone's doing anything wrong, especially in your case. You are looking after them well. If it's environmental, could be anything. Hard to identify I suspect. Bad for everyone including (obviously) Audez'e.

Sorry to hear this happened - I hope they send you a brand new pair.

Hey Guys,

or if there is something i am generally doing wrong in their care.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back