New Audeze LCD3
Jul 6, 2014 at 3:58 PM Post #9,347 of 11,521
ANYWAY....does anyone know if Tyll's LCD-3F's were fully broken? He said the bass seems to have dropped off from the the LCD-3, but I wonder if they were fully broken in yet since they fazor's are still pretty new. It also seems as if a lot of people think the LCD-X shows considerable improvement with more break-in from what I've read on that thread.

Jul 6, 2014 at 6:12 PM Post #9,348 of 11,521
He was not the only one to say that the Fs have less bass. Also, I saw a pair of Fs at a locat shop that had the same behavior. The Fs however are more airy and more detailed. So yeah, many could prefer the Fs so much more. The best answer as always is to hear for yourself and then make a decision :)

Jul 6, 2014 at 6:16 PM Post #9,349 of 11,521
And yet you won't stop beating a dead horse due to your disagreement with Audeze. Funny. The changes(if there were any) have already been made. We get it, you can't recommend them to your pals. Sorry to hear that, and thanks for sharing.

If you say so :)

Jul 7, 2014 at 7:05 AM Post #9,351 of 11,521

I went to listen to the LCD 3F a couple of month ago from a Sennheiser HDV-D800 as amp/dac and I compared it with the LCD X. It was IMO clear that the LCD 3F have a warmer/creamer and more intimate sound then the LCD X in this setup. The LCD 3F have not as much base as the LCD X and LCD 3C. The LCD X on the other hand didn’t IMO have the mids, is not as dynamic, is not as reviling and is not as colorful as the LCD 3F, so they don’t sound the same. By colorful I don’t mean adding artificially coloration, more like present the instruments naturally tonality. To me the LCD 3F sound like the classic, just a little bit clearer and with a bit less pronounced base. I can’t say exactly how much less base it has because it was not in my home rig.

Anyway I liked LCD 3F better than the LCD X in this setup. If one will like the fazor one better than the LCD 3C will probably dependent on if one is willing to change the extra energy and clarity (mostly in the midrange and lower treble) with the slightly reduced base. And that will to some extend depend on witch other dac, cables and amp one have.

Btw the new driver seems to requisite more burn in time to sound good then the old classic. The new not fully burn in, is according to the personal in the shop, pretty harsh.   

I wish that Audeze one day will make a headphone witch has the clear and open sound of the LCD 3F with the base of the classic and if possible a little lighter.

Jul 7, 2014 at 1:49 PM Post #9,353 of 11,521
Having had the fazor upgrade and now living with it for more than a month, I am still glad I made the choice. The differences, however, are quite subtle. To my ears the bass is better defined but still substantial. The low rumble now has an audible note making it more musical in my opinion. But, the sub bass is still there. In any event, the fazor upgrade to my phones was a very subtle, but welcome, improvement.

Jul 7, 2014 at 2:48 PM Post #9,354 of 11,521
Having had the fazor upgrade and now living with it for more than a month, I am still glad I made the choice. The differences, however, are quite subtle. To my ears the bass is better defined but still substantial. The low rumble now has an audible note making it more musical in my opinion. But, the sub bass is still there. In any event, the fazor upgrade to my phones was a very subtle, but welcome, improvement.

Great info. If I end up not liking the X, I will likely trade them in for LCD3(f) but I suspect I am going to like the X very much from what I have read. Nice to read you are digging your favored 3s.

Jul 7, 2014 at 5:24 PM Post #9,355 of 11,521

I went to listen to the LCD 3F a couple of month ago from a Sennheiser HDV-D800 as amp/dac and I compared it with the LCD X. It was IMO clear that the LCD 3F have a warmer/creamer and more intimate sound then the LCD X in this setup. The LCD 3F have not as much base as the LCD X and LCD 3C. The LCD X on the other hand didn’t IMO have the mids, is not as dynamic, is not as reviling and is not as colorful as the LCD 3F, so they don’t sound the same. By colorful I don’t mean adding artificially coloration, more like present the instruments naturally tonality. To me the LCD 3F sound like the classic, just a little bit clearer and with a bit less pronounced base. I can’t say exactly how much less base it has because it was not in my home rig.

Anyway I liked LCD 3F better than the LCD X in this setup. If one will like the fazor one better than the LCD 3C will probably dependent on if one is willing to change the extra energy and clarity (mostly in the midrange and lower treble) with the slightly reduced base. And that will to some extend depend on witch other dac, cables and amp one have.

Btw the new driver seems to requisite more burn in time to sound good then the old classic. The new not fully burn in, is according to the personal in the shop, pretty harsh.   

I wish that Audeze one day will make a headphone witch has the clear and open sound of the LCD 3F with the base of the classic and if possible a little lighter.

Very good info.  My next LCD will be the -3F.  I want to match it with the Ragg / Yagg.  That's the plan..  

Jul 8, 2014 at 6:08 AM Post #9,356 of 11,521

Very good info.  My next LCD will be the -3F.  I want to match it with the Ragg / Yagg.  That's the plan..  

Thanx! It seems like great combo to me.

Jul 10, 2014 at 12:42 AM Post #9,357 of 11,521
In case there was still any doubt, the Fazor version has a drop off in bass compared to the classic.  I was told this directly from Audeze customer service.

I had contacted them asking about the issue before I purchased a pair.  I was told that the Fazor version changed the bass response and that I should consider looking at either the LCD-X (which they thought was more suited to contemporary music) or a used LCD-3.

I did end up picking up a classic LCD-3, but decided after about a week that it just didn't do it for me.  Best of luck to everyone else here.

Jul 10, 2014 at 12:57 AM Post #9,358 of 11,521
  In case there was still any doubt, the Fazor version has a drop off in bass compared to the classic.  I was told this directly from Audeze customer service.

I had contacted them asking about the issue before I purchased a pair.  I was told that the Fazor version changed the bass response and that I should consider looking at either the LCD-X (which they thought was more suited to contemporary music) or a used LCD-3.

I did end up picking up a classic LCD-3, but decided after about a week that it just didn't do it for me.  Best of luck to everyone else here.

I'm just praying that my LCD3 (c) drivers would hold up forever... can't afford to have them replaced with a fazor'ed one if it need to be RMA'ed!

Jul 10, 2014 at 3:55 AM Post #9,359 of 11,521

I'm just praying that my LCD3 (c) drivers would hold up forever... can't afford to have them replaced with a fazor'ed one if it need to be RMA'ed!

I wonder if the LCD3(C) owners can ask to not be fazored ?
Or do the new drivers require it?
IE if my drivers crap out, can they fix the drivers and not fazor them ?
Don't know , not fussed too much.

Jul 10, 2014 at 4:05 AM Post #9,360 of 11,521
I wonder if the LCD3(C) owners can ask to not be fazored ?

Or do the new drivers require it?

IE if my drivers crap out, can they fix the drivers and not fazor them ?

Don't know , not fussed too much.

From what I understand they are moving to the new parts and process across their product lines and I am not sure if they even have any old parts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back