New Audeze LCD3
Jul 1, 2014 at 9:34 AM Post #9,286 of 11,521
  Is a higher impedance better relative to the particular amp supplying audio information to the headphone? The X impedance is 22 ohms and that means an easier to drive phone. If the impedance on the new driver/fazor LCD3 is 150 ohms, then that should mean it is relatively harder to drive. So how is having the higher impedance better?

I think LCD-3F is 110ohm impedance

Some tube amps (OTLs) have an easier time driving a higher impedance load. Efficiency is the measure that reflects difficulty to drive in terms of total power needed for a volume. For a given efficiency, lower impedance means current draw will be more volume relative to voltage swing. With small source devices (especially battery powered) the total voltage swing is often limited, so a lower impedance can will allow more total power delivery because more total power is delivered as current rather than voltage. Tubes, on the other hand, are very good at delivering high voltage but not as good as delivering high current, so they like a higher impedance load.

Jul 1, 2014 at 9:50 AM Post #9,287 of 11,521
OK great explanation. I needed to use ohms law and think it thru before asking question. Although I didn't know about tubes preferring a higher load impedance so good info there.

Jul 1, 2014 at 4:20 PM Post #9,288 of 11,521
  Does this strike anyone as odd for a LCD-3F? Mostly looking at that dip between 2k-4k

Might some chime in on this? I'm very curious how this stacks up to the "norm". I trust my ears, but would like to know what those more experienced with LCD3F FR see in the chart. Thanks

Jul 1, 2014 at 10:53 PM Post #9,290 of 11,521

Does this strike anyone as odd for a LCD-3F? Mostly looking at that dip between 2k-4k

Might some chime in on this? I'm very curious how this stacks up to the "norm". I trust my ears, but would like to know what those more experienced with LCD3F FR see in the chart. Thanks

Mine looks as little different(LCD-3 fazor upgrade)........

Jul 3, 2014 at 10:45 PM Post #9,295 of 11,521

Because you don't screw your older customers by making something "Better" in the same model, if you wanted to make something better, call it something else.
When I'm buying a product, anything, I get the exact product with the exact specifications, and I know that tomorrow, that same product won't be changed.
When it is changed, they will call it something different.

It's actually the other way around. If the flagship headphone had a different name each year because they made incremental improvements then a flagship from 2 years ago would be perceived to be completely "outdated" rather than variations on the theme. If something sounds fundamentally different then call it something different, like the LCD-X. The LCD-3F (which it does say on the box "Fazor Edition") is an incremental change on the older LCD-3, but it still sounds like an LCD-3. Better for them to be continuously pushing forward than not. I don't see how offering an upgrade program is a bad thing. Its actually reassuring knowing you can upgrade to the current version without losing all of your previous outlay.

Jul 3, 2014 at 10:47 PM Post #9,296 of 11,521

I spoke with Audeze on the phone today. They said the service they are providing to add fazors to existing headphones is being discontinued due to lack of interest.  Just wanted to give everyone a heads up.

Because you don't screw your older customers by making something "Better" in the same model, if you wanted to make something better, call it something else.
When I'm buying a product, anything, I get the exact product with the exact specifications, and I know that tomorrow, that same product won't be changed.
When it is changed, they will call it something different.

Well I guess it depends on how you look at it. I considered sending my 3s in to get fazored and almost did it but decided on a change to the X due to desire for a slightly more neutral phone. However Audeze must keep on advancing their craft so offering to add the fazors/stators was a way they could offer the advancement without having to obsolete the previous LCD3. Only problem with that is just sending to get fazored still does not upgrade the drivers so it's like going halfway there. And a full change to new drivers with fazors is $800. All of which played into my decision to move to the X. They could have just named the new LCD3 with fazors something else as well... If this upgrade thing is very upsetting can just vote with your wallet and go with some other brand of cans as there are several other very worthy makes of headphone available. There are enough audiophiles out there who really like the LCD3(classic) so that there may be a premium on these cans and that may some solace to offer up. Personally I just hope the X prove to be the fulfillment of what I am looking for because my LCD3s sounded just beautiful but still seeking that clarity and treble with increased airiness etc. It's hard for headphone nuts to be truly satisfied I guess; always wondering what if?

Jul 3, 2014 at 11:06 PM Post #9,297 of 11,521
I guess another angle is we need to consider if the newer/latest change is always for the better... we are talking about highly subjective audio preference and not sth like a computer CUP or hdd or even TV screen size/resolution where Moore's Law applies and newer=faster/cheaper/better in an absolute objective sense. To me, I prefer the non fazor later LCD3 the most.

I think "the lack of interest" may or may not be the entire reason, but it is definitely an important one. I, along with many locals who compared the later LCD(c) vs LCD(f) either slightly prefer the (c), or is indifferent, or slightly prefer the (f). None of us has very strong opinions one way or the other. We also think we'd opt for the X instead if we want that type of sound. The change from LCD(c) to LCD(f) really get you just somewhere in between, and the difference is so small it is hard to justify the extra cost for the upgrade.

Jul 4, 2014 at 7:33 AM Post #9,298 of 11,521
Oh come on, HD 800 has been around for a lot of years with no significant changes and they're still great. Audeze should stop experimenting on users without even announcing them of the changes.

Jul 4, 2014 at 4:35 PM Post #9,299 of 11,521
Originally Posted by talmlikeabalm 

I spoke with Audeze on the phone today. They said the service they are providing to add fazors to existing headphones is being discontinued due to lack of interest.  Just wanted to give everyone a heads up.

My question is this, does (did)  the introduction of the LCD-3 Fazor (pseudo-upgrade) diminish the resale value of the LCD-3 classic? If so, this is a shame since most buyers (myself included) have not had the opportunity to hear the Fazor version since we do not live near an Audeze dealer. And furthermore, those who have never even heard the LCD-3 (because it is out of their budget) are mislead from even experiencing the Audeze-in-house sound due to lack of affordability...  Seems disingenuous to me.

Jul 4, 2014 at 7:36 PM Post #9,300 of 11,521
My Ford Escape is called an Escape just like the 2014 model, even though mine is 2010.  Times change, R&D progresses and changes are made.  If you want the new model, you buy the new model.  If you already have one and the changes are incidental, then why do you need a new model, just because it's newer?  Seems like people just want the latest and the greatest at all times no matter what and that simply isn't feasible for a company to do if they want to progress, they can't give this out for free.  There are overhead costs to running a company and you have to recoup that by selling your product.  They added the fazor notation on the product description of the new versions being sold, they shouldn't have to change the entire name of their flagship product.

How many Porsche 911's have their been in the past 30 years?  Yet they are still called Porsche 911's.  Yes, I know there are variations of the 911, but the general 911 model name stays the same, just like LCD-3.  Want the new 911, go buy it, otherwise enjoy yours from a few years ago which is likely to be very similar.

Do you think car companies would be successful if we were all driving a Daewoo Lanos year after year with no advancement in auto technology?   Headphone manufacturers, and really any manufacturer for that matter of any consumer product, must make progress with their product or they will cease to be unique.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back