New Audeze LCD3
Apr 11, 2014 at 1:02 AM Post #8,911 of 11,521
Apr 11, 2014 at 1:28 AM Post #8,912 of 11,521
  Yours look like the thicker ones on my demo models and the X's i have at home.

The LCD-3 older pads look more like there site;

A way around it may be getting vegan pads? they don't compress as much.

That is what Audeze suggested too..

The reason you are obviously uncomfortable is because the fazors move the transducers closer to the ear by 6mm. There are not many options other than trying out microsuede ear pads which are still made out of the same material internally as the leather or sending in your unit to have the fazors removed. We try to design the headphones to fit the majority of people's heads, but sometimes it just isn't the right fit.

Usually I don't like the velour type pads because they are itchy, never tried the Audeze suede though. Internally they are the same so not sure if it will make a difference plus the Audeze pads aren't that cheap here in AU. My ears aren't "just" touching, they are really touching pretty bad now, when they were new it was OK but as I have worn them they have compressed more (in 3 days so far, will only get worse from here).  Also, because the fazor is like pointy ridges, you can feel it on the ears constantly. Very annoying. The problem really shows up later, so if you do a quick test in a store they won't touch then.

Apr 11, 2014 at 1:58 AM Post #8,913 of 11,521

That is what Audeze suggested too..

The reason you are obviously uncomfortable is because the fazors move the transducers closer to the ear by 6mm. There are not many options other than trying out microsuede ear pads which are still made out of the same material internally as the leather or sending in your unit to have the fazors removed. We try to design the headphones to fit the majority of people's heads, but sometimes it just isn't the right fit.

Usually I don't like the velour type pads because they are itchy, never tried the Audeze suede though. Internally they are the same so not sure if it will make a difference plus the Audeze pads aren't that cheap here in AU. My ears aren't "just" touching, they are really touching pretty bad now, when they were new it was OK but as I have worn them they have compressed more (in 3 days so far, will only get worse from here).  Also, because the fazor is like pointy ridges, you can feel it on the ears constantly. Very annoying. The problem really shows up later, so if you do a quick test in a store they won't touch then.

Does your dealer have a set with vegan pads? they are firmer regardless because of the material so i feel they stick out more - worth a shot..

Apr 11, 2014 at 2:25 AM Post #8,914 of 11,521
  Does your dealer have a set with vegan pads? they are firmer regardless because of the material so i feel they stick out more - worth a shot..

I think they do because they only had the vegan one and I had to wait for the leather to arrive. Chances are it might be OK but there is no way to know in the store unless they have a used one (which they don't) because out of the box they don't touch the ears. They have that plug that separates the pads in the box so the pads stay fluffy but as you wear them or even when the headphone is at rest on a desk with the pads together, the pads compress more and it starts touching then. As a guess, I would say since the vegan have the same internal material but the outer cover isn't as soft as the leather, they probably will be better. However, over time, I think they will touch also.

Anyone have a vegan fazor LCD3 where the ears don't touch the fazor?
Actually... anyone have a leather one and the ears don't touch and its not just straight out of the box?

Apr 11, 2014 at 3:14 AM Post #8,916 of 11,521
  If all else fails, this mod looks like it'd be worth a shot: Adding an additional layer of material underneath the earpads to lift them up. Your sonic results may vary depending on the type of material and how much of it you use, but it should be easy and cheap (and reversable) regardless.

Looks like that will fix the ears touching if there is enough of it stuffed under there. Not sure it will be that good for the sound though, not ideal for a $2k headphone. Worth a shot I guess since its easy but I'll wait for a further reply from Audeze first. Thanks for the suggestion. Coming from Hifiman gear, I was hoping to give up all the modding. Can't believe this is how the design of the pads/fazor should be. There is just no way any normal person's ears won't touch.

Apr 11, 2014 at 5:02 AM Post #8,917 of 11,521
Hmm this ears touching the Fazors thing might just as well make me keep my older 3s

Apr 11, 2014 at 9:04 AM Post #8,918 of 11,521
I think I will just leave them alone and wait to see if there is some resolution to the pad dilemma. Sometimes my ears will slightly touch the inside and I can adjust the position to alleviate. If no pads are available to adequately position the fazors away from the ear then will just wait. Phones still sound great so not a big deal.

Apr 11, 2014 at 11:32 AM Post #8,919 of 11,521
The fazors look like they are just secured-on with 2 screws, no doubt people who have Audeze units with those on can just unscrew them and pop them off (at least the ones facing inward). The outer-facing fazors can be left on of course.

Apr 11, 2014 at 2:32 PM Post #8,920 of 11,521
Wanted to wait for the HE560 or PM-1 but the LCD3 was always the best I have ever heard. I don't think anything will beat its sweet sound for me. There is a big price rise happening here due to the AUD falling, the LCD3 now sells for $2580 so I got in before that. Regardless of what else I bought I would always be saying I should have got the LCD3 I think. But it's a bit hard to enjoy them when my ears are throbbing unfortunately.

Apr 11, 2014 at 3:11 PM Post #8,921 of 11,521

Looks like that will fix the ears touching if there is enough of it stuffed under there. Not sure it will be that good for the sound though, not ideal for a $2k headphone. Worth a shot I guess since its easy but I'll wait for a further reply from Audeze first. Thanks for the suggestion. Coming from Hifiman gear, I was hoping to give up all the modding. Can't believe this is how the design of the pads/fazor should be. There is just no way any normal person's ears won't touch.

If this is the fact, after only 3 days, I would go to the store and make a complainant. They can than try it out and if they also feel that the Fazor hurt their ears, they will probable give you the money back or let you buy something else. That is if you are not up to mod them.

Apr 11, 2014 at 3:51 PM Post #8,922 of 11,521

If this is the fact, after only 3 days, I would go to the store and make a complainant. They can than try it out and if they also feel that the Fazor hurt their ears, they will probable give you the money back or let you buy something else. That is if you are not up to mod them.

Yeah that might need to be the next step but I am still waiting for a reply from Audeze (if they could be bothered to answer). The problem is I don't really want to do that as I really love their sound. Hifiman had the same issue and they put spacers under their pads which I still have. So I might try stuffing those spacers under there later.

I am not sure if my pads are just a dud or not, but if this is how it is, they will touch the ears for sure. That's why I would like to know if anyone has a pair that isn't touching. I think they just need better suited pads. These pads are way too soft and compress down to nothing and not thick enough in the front.

Apr 11, 2014 at 4:16 PM Post #8,923 of 11,521
It seems interesting that they've been manufacturing the LCD-2 and 3's with fazors for close to 4 months now, and there hasn't been an outcry about them touching people's ears that I've heard of.

Apr 11, 2014 at 5:26 PM Post #8,925 of 11,521
Very interesting. I would buy it but I am very confused by this rumors about the fazor touching the ears.............

I think it's only Vulcans who have that problem

Users who are viewing this thread

Back