New Audeze LCD3
Apr 1, 2014 at 7:19 AM Post #8,701 of 11,521
This kind of practice sometime makes me want to sell my Audezes and never look back at this brand. Ever again.

That's what I did, this become bit like an apple product, so many releases I lost the track of revision.
I don't know which LCD is which.

Apr 1, 2014 at 7:34 AM Post #8,702 of 11,521
The drivers recently failed on my LCD3's and Audeze replaced them with very different sounding drivers, with lots more high end. Actually I preferred the old sound because the new drivers are too bright. But if the new drivers will last longer than 6 months, that is a trade-off I'm willing to make.

Apr 1, 2014 at 7:39 AM Post #8,703 of 11,521
Why? Audeze updated a product - nothing unusual there.

Exactly :) This is the kind of practice I was talking about in the first place.

Apr 1, 2014 at 8:03 AM Post #8,705 of 11,521
What other manufacturers do this? I don't see Sennheiser do anything like this for example.

Apr 1, 2014 at 8:26 AM Post #8,706 of 11,521
  What other manufacturers do this? I don't see Sennheiser do anything like this for example.

If you look at Sennheisers own FR graphs from early HD800s to recent ones. They have changed them. Consistently for years, the frequency plots showed a hump at 6kHz, believed to be the primary reason some didn't like them for pushed treble. They also were criticised for having a bass that was too light. The latest graphs in the last few months have consistently shown a removal of the 6kHz hump and a stronger bass. Changes in measuring technique? perhaps....but as it is so consistent and in-line with what consumers would have wanted, I think its more likely a "quiet" change.

Normally Audeze change the first 3 digits of the serial number for an "edition" change of a headphone. For example, early LCD-3s started 231. They had different materials used behind and infront of the driver (cloth, vs foam etc etc) and they had driver yield issues. When the production line stabilised they changed to 261. I would have thought if they had changed the drivers again, with fazor, they would start using 291....can anyone with a confirmed fazor version confirm their serial number prefix?

Apr 1, 2014 at 8:27 AM Post #8,707 of 11,521
I sent them for RMA  for broken wood, I wouldn't mind them finding a problem with my drivers to replace them with the new ones.
wink.gif

I find they lack a bit of air and detail in the treble.

Apr 1, 2014 at 8:28 AM Post #8,708 of 11,521

If you look at Sennheisers own FR graphs from early HD800s to recent ones. They have changed them. Consistently for years, the frequency plots showed a hump at 6kHz, believed to be the primary reason some didn't like them for pushed treble. They also were criticised for having a bass that was too light. The latest graphs in the last few months have consistently shown a removal of the 6kHz hump and a stronger bass. Changes in measuring technique? perhaps....but as it is so consistent and in-line with what consumers would have wanted, I think its more likely a "quiet" change.

Normally Audeze change the first 3 digits of the serial number for an "edition" change of a headphone. For example, early LCD-3s started 231. They had different materials used behind and infront of the driver (cloth, vs foam etc etc) and they had driver yield issues. When the production line stabilised they changed to 261. I would have thought if they had changed the drivers again, with fazor, they would start using 291....can anyone with a confirmed fazor version confirm their serial number prefix?

I have listened to old and new 800s and didn't find them too different.

Apr 1, 2014 at 8:56 AM Post #8,709 of 11,521

Most consumer electronics are updated regularly. Hardware changes from year to year. Software is updated and features are added/changed.

At this point, there's a lot of churn being caused by a single, unconfirmed report that the LCD3s have a fazor added. It may well be accurate, but it really does need to be confirmed.

Either way, I don't understand the issue for LCD3 owners, myself included. Figured there would be updates and/or new models at some point, but worrying about that would prevent me from ever making a purchase.

Apr 1, 2014 at 9:06 AM Post #8,710 of 11,521
Most consumer electronics are updated regularly. Hardware changes from year to year. Software is updated and features are added/changed.

At this point, there's a lot of churn being caused by a single, unconfirmed report that the LCD3s have a fazor added. It may well be accurate, but it really does need to be confirmed.

Either way, I don't understand the issue for LCD3 owners, myself included. Figured there would be updates and/or new models at some point, but worrying about that would prevent me from ever making a purchase.

I don't plan on spending 2000 EURO on a headphone every year. I understand that new models become available at some point but Audeze is releasing way to many revisions and new models in a short time frame.

Apr 1, 2014 at 9:40 AM Post #8,712 of 11,521
I don't plan on spending 2000 EURO on a headphone every year. I understand that new models become available at some point but Audeze is releasing way to many revisions and new models in a short time frame.

I understand where you are coming from. Wouldn't it be great if Audez'e (or any other company) charged an appropriate fee for significant driver upgrades for a particular headphone rather than tempting us to buy a new one every time? Much like Schiit giving us Uber and USB upgrades on the Bifrost. If there is a technological change like fazor versus non-fazor then a new purchase maybe warranted (up to us). Well, I suppose I can dream :smile:

Apr 1, 2014 at 11:47 AM Post #8,713 of 11,521
Well, I hope it retains the sweetness of the "old" LCD3. Having owned both the X and the LCD3, I would be pretty upset to want to buy an LCD3 from Audeze just to get the X voicing. The wood rings are nice but not worth an extra $300.

Apr 1, 2014 at 4:41 PM Post #8,715 of 11,521
  I have listened to old and new 800s and didn't find them too different.

That only speaks to your own listening preferences, not the updating habits of companies. There have been plenty of testimonials here from HD800 owners (myself included) who've noticed a slightly more full-bodied sound depending on when the HD800 was purchased. Did we all prefer one sound signature over the other? Of course not. 

Let me give you another example, then, of a market that sees way more revisions than the audio world: smartphones. If you believe that's not comparable to high-end headphones just because of their difference price segments, then how about one of the most widespread product lines today: MacBooks. It's almost necessary to update products like that once if not twice a year, because new internal parts are released and they have to keep up with demands.

That's why we're lucky to be in this market instead. The fazor technology is not everybody's cup of tea. It's more of a sidegrade than a direct upgrade. Shoot, if you already have the LCD3 from a year or two ago, pretty much anything would be a sidegrade at this point. You should not feel obligated to spend 2000 euro every year. 

Well, I hope it retains the sweetness of the "old" LCD3. Having owned both the X and the LCD3, I would be pretty upset to want to buy an LCD3 from Audeze just to get the X voicing. The wood rings are nice but not worth an extra $300.

It does retain it :) 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back