New Audeze LCD3
Dec 17, 2013 at 2:41 PM Post #8,537 of 11,521
Yup, and also to clarify: the LCD3, and most planar magnetics of that generation, require quite a bit of -power- to be fully driven (the HE-6 being a particularly egregious example) But that does not translate into having to listen at -high volume-! Quite the contrary, thanks to their low driver mass they are actually very good at subtle, low sounds too.

The fact that the LCD3 et al can handle a pretty insane 15000mW max. power (assuming the amplifier can provide the juice), for up to 130dB of sound pressure and ~2.5mm driver movement (next to your ears... which would most likely result in instant permanent deafness), does not mean you should actually try that! 
basshead.gif
It simply means that any limitations or distortion at any reasonable sound level are removed (at least at the headphone end of the chain).

And btw, the new LCDX(C), and latest Hifiman headphones AFAIK, are much more efficient which makes them more universally usable and not requiring the same level of amplification than the LCD3(&2) do.

Dec 17, 2013 at 8:00 PM Post #8,538 of 11,521
  Can you good people help me here, as I understand all the planar headphones sounds there best with loud volume.. 

I know the HE6 sounds best at high volume, LCD X is said that its the same thing. 

But what about the LCD 3 ?

Not true. It's an amp thing for sure. If your amp can give deliver power, then it will sound good regardless of volume. This has held true for me with HE-500, LCD-2 and LCD-3. Although, I will say that LCD-3 is the most fun sounding when played loud to moderate. LCD-2 is the best at low volume. HE-500.....

Dec 17, 2013 at 9:43 PM Post #8,539 of 11,521
  That's not true.  What planars do enjoy is no increased distortion when cranked up.  Dynamic drivers sound better at low volume because they start to break up at high volumes.

Bingo. 

Dec 18, 2013 at 5:04 AM Post #8,540 of 11,521
I've been really enjoying my LCD-3 after i got them fixed, they sound better. better bass and just overall balance. 

i have no need for the LCD-X now 
biggrin.gif

Dec 18, 2013 at 3:23 PM Post #8,541 of 11,521
  I've been really enjoying my LCD-3 after i got them fixed, they sound better. better bass and just overall balance. 

biggrin.gif

What happened?

Dec 19, 2013 at 5:02 PM Post #8,542 of 11,521

biggrin.gif

looks like you miss your lcd2 perhaps?

anyway got my lcd3 in today, and wow m i impressed

a huge difference from the lcd2, speed and soundstaging are on another level as well as detail and tonal balance

lcd2 are dryer and more tight, less transparent, less extended, less detail, the soundstage even if a lot bigger than the hd650s still had something claustrophobic that associated to them while the lcd3 is more in hd800 territory

biggest surprise for me after the first few hours of listening is how much more evolved all around and different the lcd3 are, from the lcd2

and the 3s are quite more comfortable but sensibly heavier than the 2s

however, are lcd3 better than lcd2? lets put it like this, if both where close to 2k$ there would still be fans for both

the lcd2 are clearly the better value but only before one hear the 3s
eek.gif

audeze now has enough hp for someone to make a big comparison review between them
tongue_smile.gif

p.s. Audeze !!! send me the 2s, Xs and XCs, i'll do it... for free! well maybe i keep one of them, right?

Dec 19, 2013 at 5:40 PM Post #8,543 of 11,521
i do kinda miss that dry tightness of the LCD-2. the LCD-X improves in every way over the 2. but the 3 are better now, originally i found the 3 to have more sub-bass but not enough to make the lighter punch and lack of slam worth it, it wasn't a good balance in the bass, the mids where recessed and overly creamy and smooth and the treble was kinda bad, overall i felt a step down from the LCD-2 in everything but soundstage and transparency.

right now they're still a warm and dark headphone, but they are much better overall in focus, balance, and of course bass.

Dec 19, 2013 at 6:17 PM Post #8,544 of 11,521
wonder if ever came to mind at audeze to do custom tuned lcds

btw do others share my impression that the lcd3 lambskin pads seals really good the ear, like a suction cup, my lcd2 pads where much harder and slippy

the lcd3 pads reminds me of the Alpha Pads

Dec 21, 2013 at 2:00 PM Post #8,545 of 11,521
  wonder if ever came to mind at audeze to do custom tuned lcds

btw do others share my impression that the lcd3 lambskin pads seals really good the ear, like a suction cup, my lcd2 pads where much harder and slippy

the lcd3 pads reminds me of the Alpha Pads

LCD-3 lambskin pads around my ears = pillows around my ears :)

LCD-3 drivers in front of my ears = Big smile :-D

Dec 22, 2013 at 9:46 AM Post #8,546 of 11,521
yes no doubt lcd3 pads are even more comfy than Alpha Pads, however found that when sealed tight around the ear, suction cup effect, the lcd3 sound congested and with less extension (veiled?) compared to when leaving a little air, and the pads are really soft and squeeze easily thus bringing the drivers closer to the ear which have the same effect

i'm tempted to try the lcd2 pads, the more sturdy early versions maybe, or some other pads that may fit, distance the drivers more from the ear, and have a seal that doesn't prevent air flow around the ear, or pads with narrower borders cos these seems to cover a portion of the driver, any suggestion?

edit: tho the headband remained a torture
mad.gif

edit: extending the rods lowers the clamping force, setting the headband further back the head deals with the added extension and alleviates the headband discomfort, but only partially, wounder who's the genius behind the headband design 
angry_face.gif

edit: must say that the sacd and dvd-a make a lot of more sense with the lcd3 even compared to the hd800 which lacks tonal detail and coherence compared to the lcd3

Dec 23, 2013 at 8:05 PM Post #8,547 of 11,521
@Dubstep Girl 

Girl, I kept asking myself, what are you on drugs? You kept saying you lack the bass punch on the LCD-3, I'm sitting here, on my LCD-3 running them through my STX card, stock op-amps.... I'm like O_O on the bass.... I'm thinking I've reached Audio Nirvana, I mean, in terms of speaker.

Also, don't take that first question literally, not meant to be offensive, just like I'm surprised.

I've asked a couple of you people about different supposedly higher end headphones or amps, like for example I've asked about the Stax... I  just find it hard to believe that there's something that might be better!

I'm going to audition the new Antelope Zodiac Platinum DSD DAC today with my LCD-3 and HD700... Wish me luck :D If all goes well, I'll be buying it in a couple of months!

P.S: I love the LCD-3 and I wish to thank all of you for enlightening me in the best headphones in the world!

Dec 24, 2013 at 4:21 AM Post #8,548 of 11,521
  @Dubstep Girl 

Girl, I kept asking myself, what are you on drugs? You kept saying you lack the bass punch on the LCD-3, I'm sitting here, on my LCD-3 running them through my STX card, stock op-amps.... I'm like O_O on the bass.... I'm thinking I've reached Audio Nirvana, I mean, in terms of speaker.

Also, don't take that first question literally, not meant to be offensive, just like I'm surprised.

I've asked a couple of you people about different supposedly higher end headphones or amps, like for example I've asked about the Stax... I  just find it hard to believe that there's something that might be better!

I'm going to audition the new Antelope Zodiac Platinum DSD DAC today with my LCD-3 and HD700... Wish me luck :D If all goes well, I'll be buying it in a couple of months!

P.S: I love the LCD-3 and I wish to thank all of you for enlightening me in the best headphones in the world!

compared to LCD-2 and LCD-X yes, the LCD-3 is smoother and doesn't have the same forwardness or impact.

and I try to keep somewhat sober these days 
wink.gif
 with the occasional buzz, trip, or high on the weekends and holidays

Dec 24, 2013 at 7:36 AM Post #8,549 of 11,521
Part of it comes down to variance.  My LCD-3 has more deep bass than my LCD-2 and slightly less mid bass but is quite a bit more mid forward and airy up top.

Dec 24, 2013 at 4:33 PM Post #8,550 of 11,521
Just a tease for now: http://imgur.com/a/iRTkz

the LCD-3 are mine and I've made an order for the DAC.

I think it's too early to write a review because I only had listened to it for a bit, ya know, 1-2 hours is not good enough to know exactly what is going on there, but let me tell you: I like what I heard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back