New Audeze LCD3
Oct 14, 2011 at 11:36 AM Post #121 of 11,521
Quote:
That new chrome looking connector mount, is also the ugliest headphone connector I have ever seen.

I am not joking, the looks that only a mother could love.

I couldn't agree more.  Chrome is so 90's, so played out.  It's always looked disgustingly gaudy to me on everything and I've never understood the attraction.  Even car manufacturers have woken up and stopped making all the wheels on their performance models chrome.  It clashes so poorly with the zebrawood that it makes me scratch my head over the design decision.

Speaking of zebrawood, another poor choice on Audeze's part IMO.  For a new flagship product I feel they should have chosen a much classier and more exotic option, think W5000 but even better.  I imagine it was simply a case of them finding a nice supply at a very inexpensive cost.  Makes sense from a profit standpoint but a much nicer wood would have helped buyers overlook the increase in cost just a bit more.

I'm interested in hearing them at some point but not in any rush.  My Rev.1 has still yet to disappoint and from my experience this will definitely be a case of diminishing returns.

I look forward to the impressions this weekend.  I hope all of you attending RMAF have a fantastic experience.

Oct 14, 2011 at 12:00 PM Post #122 of 11,521
Speaking of 90's I have to try my LCD2 with Eurobeats. I was so crazy with Eurobeats at one time I listened to them like 10 hours a day. Anyone had experience with that?

Oct 14, 2011 at 12:04 PM Post #123 of 11,521
Quote:

HAHA!  What an amusing read.  Thank you very much for sharing.

So funny reading all the comments of those that have registered here in 2010/2011 crying over the price showing their ignorance as to how much flagship headphones have actually cost over the past decade.  I especially liked the guy that thought flagships as a whole have been $350 or less.  Newsflash...flagship headphones are not sold at Best Buy.

Oct 14, 2011 at 12:16 PM Post #124 of 11,521
Yeah I was going to say the same thing but decided to stay out of it.  I mean the 009 is 5k.  Headphones have been in the 2k price range for over a decade.  I wish they wouldn't sell for this much though.  But it leaves the market wide open for a good sounding 100-500 dollar ortho.  If I was an engineer I'd be all over it.  Fostex makes good money on the T50rp.  If someone paid better attention to the housing with a similar size driver and non-exotic but well designed frame they could make a killing. 

Oct 14, 2011 at 12:30 PM Post #127 of 11,521
It seems a bit optimistic that people are presuming that Audeze has advanced the ortho technology to match electrostats in less than a year.

I'm not sure why so many people are posting that the LCD-3s 'better' match the SR007/009 and similar upper echelon headphones.  At least based upon the research I've done on orthos, in terms of SQ, orthos don't seem designed to be an immediate substitute for electrostats, and I'm unsure why some people have the expectation that a cheaper product has the mandate of outperforming a more expensive one.

I do hope the LCD-3s live up to its billing in the PR, and that they're superior to the HD800 as, based on my listening, neither the LCD-2 R2 or HD800 are an optimal dynamic headphone for me.  If they are the bee's knees, then I'd be happy to make significant changes to my upgrade plan, but all the expectations and assumptions I'm reading seem to be grounded only in wishful thinking.

Oct 14, 2011 at 12:31 PM Post #128 of 11,521
I mean the LCD2 is so good. The LCD3 can't be twice better. Just like the SR009 does not sound 5 times better than the LCD-2, at least to me, although being an owner of both. So I'm going to get the LCD3 anyways. I feel so lucky I didn't get the Rev 2 though - I almost went for it.

For the LCD3 I may get a decent desktop rig for it to make it my official office rig. Probably something bigger than the portable bricks which I currently use to drive the LCD2 in office, but not as high profile as my home rig - the 34kg Esoteric K-01, or the all golden shiny Leben CS300XS which generates a lot of heat. Maybe Zodiac Gold with Voltikus and another amp? Any suggestions?

Oct 14, 2011 at 12:31 PM Post #129 of 11,521
By the way, does anyone know whether the LCD3 will have the same cable connector as the LCD2?

Oct 14, 2011 at 12:32 PM Post #130 of 11,521
Quote:
HAHA!  What an amusing read.  Thank you very much for sharing.

So funny reading all the comments of those that have registered here in 2010/2011 crying over the price showing their ignorance as to how much flagship headphones have actually cost over the past decade.  I especially liked the guy that thought flagships as a whole have been $350 or less.  Newsflash...flagship headphones are not sold at Best Buy.

The point is, is the LCD-3 a 'flagship' or is it just another high end headphone? It seems more like a $1000 driver upgrade to the LCD-2 to me. I guess we'll find out in a couple of days.

The old school flagships/stax were insanity, and the prices reflect that, but they were ahead of their time in terms of sound and ergonomics (well, they weren't uncomfortable =P). All for naught it would seem, the flagships have disappeared into legend, along with the insanity.

The LCD-2's poor ergonomics were forgiven for its relatively good sound and value, but I just don't think I can personally forgive a $2k headphone for being uncomfortable unless it absolutely rapes the competition (hello SR-009).

Oct 14, 2011 at 12:33 PM Post #131 of 11,521
Do you print money by yourself man? dear god! 你太有钱了。。。。
biggrin.gif

Quote:
I mean the LCD2 is so good. The LCD3 can't be twice better. Just like the SR009 does not sound 5 times better than the LCD-2, at least to me, although being an owner of both. So I'm going to get the LCD3 anyways. I feel so lucky I didn't get the Rev 2 though - I almost went for it.

For the LCD3 I may get a decent desktop rig for it to make it my official office rig. Probably something bigger than the portable bricks which I currently use to drive the LCD2 in office, but not as high profile as my home rig - the 34kg Esoteric K-01, or the all golden shiny Leben CS300XS which generates a lot of heat. Maybe Zodiac Gold with Voltikus and another amp? Any suggestions?

Oct 14, 2011 at 12:49 PM Post #133 of 11,521

Quote:

As you said, the "LCD is so good", so if in theory the LCD-3 was 2x better, could the human ear detect that?

Oct 14, 2011 at 12:54 PM Post #135 of 11,521

Quote:

The LCD-2's poor ergonomics were forgiven for its relatively good sound and value, but I just don't think I can personally forgive a $2k headphone for being uncomfortable unless it absolutely rapes the competition (hello SR-009).

So you're saying a $2000 headphone has got to stomp a $5000 headphone....a headphone that requires another $5000 outlay for amplification in order to hear it as intended?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back