New Audeze LCD3
Mar 15, 2017 at 7:55 PM Post #11,371 of 11,521
I bought a 2016 LCD-3 (my first Audeze) to satisfy my curiosity. One of the main reasons was Bob Katz's love for this headphone.

It sounds pretty bright to me, maybe a bit brighter and cleaner than my HD650. I think the treble may be slightly harsh on some songs but nothing that was too annoying.

The bass digs deeper but one thing I've noticed is that the 650 is a lot more 'dynamic' with the swings in volume in music standing out much more which for me is what makes the music come alive.

This is a deal breaker for me.

Is this what people mean when they say 'planar compression' ?

I like them a lot more than the HD800 and HD800 S for listening enjoyment but they don't match the 650 despite some advantages.

I would consider them a sidegrade. Worth maybe $600 to $700 due to wood and leather construction.

Switching back and forth between these and my 650 (both running balanced from Mjolnir 2) I'm amazed at how effective the HF marketing machine has been in convincing people that TOTL pricing = TOTL sound.

Without HF the LCD-4 and Utopia would be around $1500 I think...

I'm returning them after just 2 days. Not impressed.

As a long time owner of he LCD-3 (2015 & 2016) I found them to sound boring with the MJ2 (using a variety of tubes including reflector 74 and 75) . I connected my Burson Soloist back up and wow. The Magic was back! Thumping bass and energy that was lost with the MJ2. I sold the MJ2 and never looked back. Many months later, I got to hear the MJ2 again and my impressions were no different. Now I have the Wells audio Milo and all my LCDs sound great thru it.

Mar 21, 2017 at 10:50 PM Post #11,373 of 11,521
Hello everyone!

I apologize for the inconvenience again
Does anyone try the LCD-3 and the LCD-X to tell me the best?

Better in your opinion, you?
Thanks for the help and Sorry 4 my bad ENG

I just listened to both side by side and it depended on the amp/DAC I was using to see which one I liked more (between the 2 set ups). I don't have much more info then that ha

Mar 21, 2017 at 11:33 PM Post #11,374 of 11,521
If I only plan to listen out of a high end DAP(iBasso DX200) should I go for LCD X or LCD 3?
DX200 has a max output voltage of 6Vrms

Mar 22, 2017 at 2:38 AM Post #11,376 of 11,521

If I only plan to listen out of a high end DAP(iBasso DX200) should I go for LCD X or LCD 3?
DX200 has a max output voltage of 6Vrms

LCD X is very efficient. If you like the sound signature then LCD X is your can.

I haven't heard anything in the LCD line except LCD 2 2016 which I loved(mids and bass) but was forced to sell because in my opinion, they had no Treble at all.
Now I am looking for a one for everything headphone and after trying stuff like HEX v2, Ether Flow, ZMF Eikon, LCD 3 or LCD X is pretty much my last stand.

Mar 22, 2017 at 2:41 AM Post #11,377 of 11,521
I am looking for a warm, bassy(superb textured bass) headphone with forward vocals and airier presentation. I am very Treble sensitive so I would like it to be dark yet not as Dark as LCD 2 2016. Basically well extended recessed Treble. I like a big soundstage too.
Do you guys think I should go for LCD 3 or LCD X?

Mar 22, 2017 at 3:11 AM Post #11,378 of 11,521
I am looking for a warm, bassy(superb textured bass) headphone with forward vocals and airier presentation. I am very Treble sensitive so I would like it to be dark yet not as Dark as LCD 2 2016. Basically well extended recessed Treble. I like a big soundstage too.
Do you guys think I should go for LCD 3 or LCD X?
The way you put it matches exactly to the LCD 3 sound signature. The newer 2016 drivers made the LCD 3 sound a bit brighter than before ( but it's still a dark sounding headphone with emphasis on the low/mids). The soundstage isn't large as of HD800 but surely not disappointing. I had the LCD 4 and I preferred the LCD 3 for the mids. They are so smooth. I also have to mention about the instrument timbre, LCD 3/4 have the most accurate timbre.

Personally I didn't like the LCD X. They have a very good low end, very punchy bass, but the mids are okay and the treble is recessed ( but brighter than LCD 3, recessed treble is the signature sound of LCD line) but the LCD X is far more efficient and LCD 3 requires very good amping to perform their best.

If i were you, I'll go with the LCD 3.

Mar 22, 2017 at 6:55 AM Post #11,379 of 11,521
To go with the true Audeze house sound definitely the LCD3f and having had 2 driver failures the 2016 Drivers are now very stable and I expect these 2016 Drivers to be pretty much the epitome of where the 3s are in terms of durability .

The X and XC in my opinion is not really Audeze true house sound and I rather go with a Focal Elear if the X tickles your fancy.

Mar 24, 2017 at 3:42 AM Post #11,381 of 11,521
What would you guys recommend for a relatively budget amp for the LCD 3?
Schiit Jotunheim or Cavalli Liquid Carbon?

Mar 24, 2017 at 4:10 AM Post #11,382 of 11,521

I wouldn't pick the Jotunheim as I read many say it has a V shaped sound signature. Which will make the bass much higher and also degrade the beautifful mids.

Haven't tried the liquid carbon. Any powerful amp that is pretty neutral should work.

Mar 24, 2017 at 4:13 AM Post #11,383 of 11,521

I wouldn't pick the Jotunheim as I read many say it has a V shaped sound signature. Which will make the bass much higher and also degrade the beautifful mids.

Haven't tried the liquid carbon. Any powerful amp that is pretty neutral should work.

Can you please recommend me something around 300-500ish Used? I am only interested in Balanced.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back