New Audeze LCD3
Nov 9, 2011 at 5:24 PM Post #1,007 of 11,521

Quote:
With profit margins routinely close to 50% in this segment, it would have been no skin off their back to give the guy a break

#1. You don't know this to be true for a fact, and even if it were true, isn't it blatantly obvious that Audeze feels it financially necessary to enforce the return policy they have? Nice that they even have a storefront, frankly.

#2. Again, like Mr.Sneis proposes why don't people simply purchase from a dealer like, you know, the way they pretty much do for every other headphone out there (Sennheiser, Beyerdynamics, Grados, Audio-Technica, Sony, JVC, Koss, etc.)? I'd love to hear what Sennheiser's return policy is for HD 800 purchased off their website ... oh wait: you can't.

I know that they are still considered a start-up in the eyes of many members, but they are clearly gunning for larger pastures. I wish them luck even if I lament at the lightness of my pocketbook.

Nov 9, 2011 at 5:28 PM Post #1,008 of 11,521
It's just matter of Audeze considering returns a pain-in-the-ass. The last two times I saw them, they looked like they were working their asses off. RMAs, assessing returns, reverse charges on credit cards, etc. is not fun. I mean what if somebody's cat accidentally pee'd on an LCD3 and that person wanted to return them? HeadRoom is probably more equipped to deal with this kind of BS.

Nov 9, 2011 at 5:34 PM Post #1,009 of 11,521
I would think that the company that actually manufactured the item would be able to tell if the equipment was damaged more so than anyone else.  I find it kind of absurd that Audeze would deny his upgrade.  Chances are that Audeze is making even more money on the new higher end product.  Seems sort of lazy and does not promote customer loyalty IMO.

Would it be that difficult to explain to the customer if the product was in fact damaged that they would not accept the return if such thing actually happened?

Nov 9, 2011 at 5:38 PM Post #1,010 of 11,521
Re #1: it's more or less the norm in the high-end segment, especially if the manufacturer sells direct at the same price as their dealers. I have no reason to doubt this to also be the case with audeze. 

This info I know first hand from a friend who is a member of the trade 

And especially given this fact, there's usually a lot of goodwill and upgrade allowances in the biz. 

Quote:
#1. You don't know this to be true for a fact, and even if it were true, isn't it blatantly obvious that Audeze feels it financially necessary to enforce the return policy they have? Nice that they even have a storefront, frankly.

#2. Again, like Mr.Sneis proposes why don't people simply purchase from a dealer like, you know, the way they pretty much do for every other headphone out there (Sennheiser, Beyerdynamics, Grados, Audio-Technica, Sony, JVC, Koss, etc.)? I'd love to hear what Sennheiser's return policy is for HD 800 purchased off their website ... oh wait: you can't.

I know that they are still considered a start-up in the eyes of many members, but they are clearly gunning for larger pastures. I wish them luck even if I lament at the lightness of my pocketbook.

Nov 9, 2011 at 5:42 PM Post #1,011 of 11,521
I guess I'm not too horribly upset at the price. Honestly I think Audeze is smart - they know what our limits are.

I never really bought a r1 or r2 (I did purchase an r1 which I almost promptly sold at what I purchased it for), so going straight to the LCD3, even at 2 grand isn't horribly upsetting to me. I could only imagine how upset the folks who purchased the r2 just a few weeks before the announcement of the r3 felt.

Nov 9, 2011 at 5:44 PM Post #1,012 of 11,521
They would probably be better off adapting the Sennheiser and other large company approach and not selling anything directly, leaving that to sales companies.  But they clearly make way more profits if they sell them direct, so if they can afford to sell them to Headroom or TTVJ at a discount to allow TTVJ and Headroom the ability to profit off of them while paying for customer support reps and dealing with returns, etc, then I would think that with the extra money they get from selling them direct they could hire the necessary personnel to do exactly what TTVJ and Headroom do.  It's kind of ridiculous for them to be dealing with refunds or even answering emails themselves.  They need to be working on the LCD-4!!!

Nov 9, 2011 at 5:44 PM Post #1,013 of 11,521
Don't forget if you don't like them you can always re-sell the LCD-3 on the forum as well as the old LCD-2 to recoup your funds.  I bet you wouldn't even lose out on much if you play your cards right.  It's not like you're locked in for life or anything, don't like?  Don't buy!

Nov 9, 2011 at 5:45 PM Post #1,014 of 11,521

Quote:
With profit margins routinely close to 50% in this segment, it would have been no skin off their back to give the guy a break

Probably  65% + if manufacturer is selling directly to the end user at retail.

Nov 9, 2011 at 5:52 PM Post #1,017 of 11,521
They're only worth a few hundred dollars once they've been soiled by another head-fier IMO. 
evil_smiley.gif

Nov 9, 2011 at 6:07 PM Post #1,020 of 11,521
Don't give me too much credit. They won't be getting my money again. Some other Head-fier with an LCD 3 for sale will. :D

I was complaining when it was first announced but I'm looking at it this way...That extra grand I saved that would've got me LCD 3s just bought me a nice new SA8004.

Quote:
Kudos to MorbidToaster for his attitude. Me? In his position I would never buy anything from them again on principle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back