New Audeze LCD3
May 7, 2014 at 5:14 PM Post #9,076 of 11,521
^ I'll get back to you once I've AB'd, soon. I've not listened to the 2.1 since the 3F arrived, but my impression remains that the 3F (or perhaps 3 in general) is the 2.1 grown up and fully developed.

One definite difference: with Bach solo violin pieces I found the 2.1 so smooth it lacked passion compared to the Beyerdynamic T1 - which admittedly might have been revealing its occasional resonance/distortion issues in the highs. Regardless, this is not the case with my 3F, which has 'bite' in spades.

Give me a few days...

May 7, 2014 at 6:26 PM Post #9,077 of 11,521
^ I'll get back to you once I've AB'd, soon. I've not listened to the 2.1 since the 3F arrived, but my impression remains that the 3F (or perhaps 3 in general) is the 2.1 grown up and fully developed.

One definite difference: with Bach solo violin pieces I found the 2.1 so smooth it lacked passion compared to the Beyerdynamic T1 - which admittedly might have been revealing its occasional resonance/distortion issues in the highs. Regardless, this is not the case with my 3F, which has 'bite' in spades.

Give me a few days...

Looking forward to it. Thanks

May 8, 2014 at 12:15 PM Post #9,078 of 11,521
My confusion too. Was thinking of sending my 3Cs to Audeze to get Fazored, thinking that is the only difference. I expected a little clearer top end, maybe better imaging. I went to my local dealer and auditioned the first 3F, to hear if there was much difference. I then took those home to audition and A/B with my 3C in my system. Quite a large difference, especially in the bass. I suspected then that they had different drivers. Took back those 3F, and bought a new pair. Those still sound quite different than my 3C.

Maybe Audeze should have released them as a LCD-4, or there is a true LCD-4 lurking very soon. They would look very luxurious with ivory cups. :)

Today I have heard LCD 3 Fasor for the first time

Source : Marantz CD player
Amp : Bakoon I forgot the model

My first impression more or less like yours

Compare to LCD 3 Classic

LCD 3 F
High : more clarity and better detail more presence
Mid : very sweet and analog , the best mid from all LCD series I have tried
Very intimate .i love the mid very much
Bass : very deep and clean , bass also the deepest in LCD series

Separation : very good
Soundstage : is wide with very good depth

Overall:
sound quality analog and neutral , with very good in detail and clarity
The strong point are mid so sweet and analog and intimate , I can not forget until now
The second strong point are bass very deep and clean and can going lower without distortion

Compare to LCD X

LCD X
High : is brighter and slightly better clarity compare LCD 3 F
Mid : is a bit backward , LCD 3 F is forward and more intimate
Bass : LCD 3 F is very deep and low Bass and very clean , LCD X can not produce so kind of bass

I guess maybe different material in metal LCD X and wood in LCD 3 F

Separation : LCD X has slightly better music separation
Soundstage : LCD X has wider soundstage , but less depth , LCD 3 F has better layering too

Today I wish I can bought LCD 3 F , but no stock , at the end I bought LCD X first
And I am waiting for the the next batch and I want to try LCD 3 F again

IMO

May 8, 2014 at 12:24 PM Post #9,079 of 11,521
It's really a nice improvement in 3F compare to original LCD3, same sweet magical midrange but with far better (also bigger in this case) imaging and soundstage. The 3F sounds clearer too without being thin or cold at all. Tonality wise I think people will still recognize 3F as LCD3.

Compare to LCD-X is a bit hard as they have different flavor, the X has clearer, more neutral presentation and tonality, wherea in 3F they blend everything with honey added. Soundstage wise X has more airy feeling and better room ambience, wherea 3F is slight narrower with more intimate presentation.

May 8, 2014 at 5:24 PM Post #9,080 of 11,521
Been reading this information and need comments on LCD-3 names used here. (1) Does LCD-C (Classic) refer to 1st one w/wood connector housings? (2) What is the one called w/silver metal connector housings? (3) Were there multiple refinements done to one described in 2. above, and if "yes" how many refinements? (4) LCD-3 manufactured late Nov '13 w/SN 261XXXX, what are they called...probably not Classics? Sorry for all the questions, but I'm having trouble interpreting which LCD-3(s) the LCD-X might have been compared to? Appreciate your help (Audez'e you are welcome to please chime in).

May 8, 2014 at 5:37 PM Post #9,081 of 11,521
^ Your confusion is understandable :wink: but...Classic just refers to pre-Fazor. That's it.

The term Classic came into being when we learned (about 3 months after Audez'e made the change) that the 2 and 3 both incorporate Fazor elements since (IIRC 18) December 2013.

AFAIK the 2 and 3C are no longer manufactured.

May 8, 2014 at 9:30 PM Post #9,082 of 11,521
Have to admit I'd been behind in my Head-Fi reading and when I came back after a month I was surprised by all the activity regarding the LCD-3's! Having just bought a pair a few months back I was immediately curious if my were "Fazorized"? To be 100% sure I not only checked my SN (is 271XXX) I also emailed Tara. Yep, I've got the LCD-3F, and couldn't be happier. 

Having demo'd the LCD-X and the LCD-3 (C's, but that was before there was a "C" and an "F") before I bought my new pair of LCD-3's I smacked my head in not realizing sooner that they had indeed changed. Of all the times I've taken them on and off I somehow never put 2 and 2 together to realize that the ridges inside the cans were just like the LCD-X's. Also I got my pair right after Audeze had their long "backlog/stock-out" period, so I should have been aware something was up. Heck, they even made Drew at Moon Audio wait weeks and weeks for new stock so there was clearly something more than a simple restock period going on (easy to say in hindsight of course). 

The bass on the LCD-3F's is just amazing (like it better than the LCD-X's) and of course the mids are where the magic occurs. I still would pay even more if they could somehow find a way to create an LCD model with a bit brighter high-end, but hey, as I was told the dark style is their "house sound", so that's what we're likely stuck with (at least until they start fiddling some more!). 

Off to listen to wooden wonders...

May 9, 2014 at 7:55 AM Post #9,083 of 11,521
I have always loved the sound of the Audeze hp's but struggled with comfort when I owned I owned the lcd2.2. Is the comfort of the lcd3 any different?

Also, does the new fazor tech add any to the weight?

thanks...

May 9, 2014 at 8:28 AM Post #9,084 of 11,521
For those who looking for the LCD3 and it's amp combo, I'm selling my belove system in headfi. It's Bakoon HPA-21 and the LCD3 with silver widow cable. I live in Perth so welcome to come to my house to have a try if you intended to buy. :)

My right ear has problem so I'm afraid I could not play with any headfi system in my life already... :frowning2:

May 9, 2014 at 8:52 AM Post #9,085 of 11,521
For those who looking for the LCD3 and it's amp combo, I'm selling my belove system in headfi. It's Bakoon HPA-21 and the LCD3 with silver widow cable. I live in Perth so welcome to come to my house to have a try if you intended to buy. :)

My right ear has problem so I'm afraid I could not play with any headfi system in my life already... :frowning2:

I'm sorry to hear that.
Hope everything will be alright.
GLWTS

May 9, 2014 at 9:47 AM Post #9,087 of 11,521

I am so sorry to hear with your ear

Did you heard music with loud volume ?

My friend has too long with custom iem , that made his ear drum infection , now he can hear only headphone , Doctor said no more Ciems
Because iems or ciems going direct to eardrum , if to loud very danger

May 9, 2014 at 10:35 AM Post #9,088 of 11,521
My headphones came back with the Fazor upgrade, the frequency chart changed :O   and it's clearly an improvement in various areas,  more dynamic, they aren't dark anymore, mid has better presence, there's more attack, they're more fun than before, the treble has air, something that I didn't have before, I'm very happy with the change even though I haven't listened to them for more than 3 hours.

Pre-Fazor

Fazored

May 9, 2014 at 11:15 AM Post #9,089 of 11,521
AFAIK the 2 and 3C are no longer manufactured.

Not sure if they stopped making them, but the 2 is definitely still being sold on the Audeze site with no listed backlog.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back