New Audeze LCD3
Jun 20, 2012 at 10:16 AM Post #6,076 of 11,521
Yeah but my point is.. If its just a placebo .. why not just buy cables for a 25 bucks .. I saw cables going for 750/1500 usd or maybe even more .. I guess the more expensive the cable the better the placebo effect .. And if nothing really changes .. Why not just to just be happy with what you got?

EDIT -

I do understand some cables are just built better, and for that purpose worth switching for .. but thinking it changes the sound very notiecable is a bit naieve

In the thread I mentioned there's alot of technical stuff posted with diagrams and everything that simply shows the cables contribute very little (if anything at all) to the sound

A mental change is still a change. So something really does change.

You also have to understand that many people (including myself) can't just be happy with what they've got (well have a hard time being happy anyway). Most of the time when people start swapping cables, they're pretty much just looking for a small change and a nice placebo.

The journey (almost) never ends in audio.

Jun 20, 2012 at 12:35 PM Post #6,077 of 11,521
I went to a hifi shop looking to buy speakers and sales man insist on using one of more expensive coax cable.. he swap it between a cheap $20 cable and a $400 cable, each time he swap to the more expensive cable he said "thats good stuff" .. I agree with him as it looks better but the problem is .. I can't tell the differences.

same thing as the ALO Cryo SXC 22G ipod to amp cable.. I can't tell the difference between this and a cheap one I bought from Amazon...No matter what headphone I use, how hard I try (I actually use alot of energy hoping to hear an improvement) I fail..  I will say I buy it for the looks (I too need a placebo effect)

And the Q cable I bought was primary for ergonomic reason. I am still buying cables .. not really for the sound but more for the looks..

Jun 20, 2012 at 12:43 PM Post #6,078 of 11,521
This man will offer you $1million if you can tell the diff between a $7250 cable and a $80 cable.

http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20071009/015017.shtml

Go for it people..
biggrin.gif

Jun 20, 2012 at 2:11 PM Post #6,080 of 11,521
Quote:

But I'll play a little devil's advocate here and say so what if it's a placebo? If you hear an improvement you hear an improvement. Bottom line. Placebos can still help people in the medical world too. Some things are all in your head.

It depends. In regards to a psychological issue, placebo's may help someone realise their phobia (or whatever) is just an issue with little grounding in reality and thus help them get over it.

But in regards to a consumerist situation, if it doesn't make a difference then what are you paying for? I personally would buy a Q cable for my LCD-2's if I really wanted to but I wouldn't fool myself saying that it's for the sound. It'd be for the above stated reasons of ergonomics, aesthetics and convenience. How much is that worth? For me, definitely not anymore than a couple hundred dollars (and for that price it better be luxurious with a long warranty). In my opinion, those $1000+ cables are a rip off. Even if someone could afford such a purchase, they're gaining too little to justify the diminishing returns. I see it as people taking advantage of others and hate the thought of it.

Jun 20, 2012 at 9:09 PM Post #6,088 of 11,521
Quote:
Kinda reminds me of someone I disliked.

How much will you pay me to not change my avatar to his?  
smile.gif

Looks like they won't accept actual measurements as proof for that 'challenge'.  Do they even have $1M to put into escrow?  
blink.gif

Jun 20, 2012 at 9:15 PM Post #6,089 of 11,521
You guys realize that "challenge" post of 5 years old, right? The guy backed out, IIRC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back