New Audeze LCD3
Jun 15, 2012 at 1:25 PM Post #6,016 of 11,521
Steve you said it well can we get back to the LCD 3's Please!

Jack

Jun 15, 2012 at 1:42 PM Post #6,017 of 11,521
I though the lcd (x) threads were on topic when they are off topic. :wink: Tubes arent too far off. It could be worse, we could go back to rolling hampsters.:D

Jun 15, 2012 at 2:20 PM Post #6,018 of 11,521
Think I'm just gonna roll myself a big fat something that cannot be mentioned on HeadFi unless you name a product after it and then it's ok and go out an enjoy this beautiful weather before the scorcher hits this weekend.

se

Jun 15, 2012 at 2:51 PM Post #6,019 of 11,521
It is lovely out right now.  Oops OT.  
tongue.gif

Jun 15, 2012 at 3:06 PM Post #6,020 of 11,521
Perfectly on topic now that we are talking about weather.:p

After going back 3 pages to see what the last topic was that was on topic, how about making a general list of amps that have good synergy with the lcd3 in the different price brackets. (low, mid ,high)

I would probably say as a general rule to go for ss amps in the low range,
ss and hybrid in the mid,
and ss, hybrid, or tube for the high end range.

Jun 16, 2012 at 12:18 PM Post #6,021 of 11,521
Hello all,
Just got back into hifi after an extended absence where I downsized for about 10 years.
Recently got a pair of demo LCD-3s from an online vendor and am trying to get a good amp + DAC without breaking the budget too much

Here is the plot:

Having read all 400+ pages of this thread, looking at the 800-2k hz rolloff this seems to be a "semi" veiled pair, but am not sure since I don't have a great amp and setup yet for it, and I'm sure I'm not getting the best out of it yet (using a budget Bravo v2 with upgraded tubes out of a universal Denon DVD-3910 SACD/CD player) while I ponder something like a Bitfrost + Mjolnir or a pre-owned Grace 902...

I like the idea of leaving the amp on so the idea of a SS amp really intrigues me, but I do like the general presentation of tube gear that I've had in the past (among them Cary, Audible Illusions, ASL...).   Very intrigued about the $400+ Lyr as well but it seems like if I have the LCD-3 I should just stretch my budget and go for something a bit more refined... Thoughts?

-Ed

Jun 16, 2012 at 12:29 PM Post #6,022 of 11,521
To approach it from a different perspective, are there amps that should absolutely be avoided?

I have yet to hear the LCD-3s sound bad. Granted, my CD player jack doesn't really make them sing. But even a Bellari VP-129 phono-pre/hp amp is enjoyable. At the Village meet a while back I particulary liked the Donald North amp and the ALO prototype. (Though at those prices I darn well should have, you may say.)

Haven't heard the Dark Star - maybe at the LA meet inAugust.

Jun 16, 2012 at 1:10 PM Post #6,023 of 11,521
I tried an LCD-3 some time ago and a friend's rev2 sounded better. The LCD-3 I listened to had a thicker mid-bass, thinner midrange and some grain in the upper mids. Do you think this one was veiled? 

Very comfortable headphone though, the pads are wonderful. What I don't understand is that the headband doesn't share the same, soft leather. It's still too hard for my tastes. 

Also, one funny thing is that in real life the Zebrano wood has a darkish gold tone with lots of stripes. When I took a picture of it (flash off) the wood got yellow-ish (like seen on most photos) and the number of stripes was significantly reduced, very strange! 

Jun 16, 2012 at 5:12 PM Post #6,028 of 11,521
Just spending some more time with the LCD-3 I have (thankfully) and though it sounds very impressive timbrally, it's clearly lacking in top end compared to the Sennheiser headphones I have. But that said the LCD-3 reveals plenty treble details and is never fatiguing which is a truly great accomplishment, and like other headphones, when you relax and enjoy it, it's all tickety-boo! :)

I still think that an aftermarket cable is probably the way to go with the LCD-3.

Jun 16, 2012 at 5:28 PM Post #6,030 of 11,521
Quote:

Fixed it for you :wink:

:)

From what I've read about Q cables (I've never tried one so I won't comment on how they sound to me), a Q cable could work very nicely with the LCD's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back