New ATH-M50's - High distortion
Jan 9, 2011 at 4:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

DTLIONS1013

New Head-Fier
The M50's are my first good headphones.  I've been noticing in many songs(mainly electronic music) very high distortion, almost static sounding.  Im listening to 256-320 kbps mp3s through my computer.  I'm not sure if that's how the songs should sound and I just haven't noticed or if there's something wrong with my headphones.

Jan 9, 2011 at 4:38 PM Post #4 of 29
I received my M50 about a week ago and haven't really heard any distortion on this end.

Additionally, I have them plugged DIRECTLY into my Lenovo T400 (plan on purchasing an E7 or uDac fairly soon), and the phones sound good on my end. Where did you get the phones? Were they used?

Jan 9, 2011 at 4:38 PM Post #5 of 29
i noticed this with my shure srh750dj headphones. let them burn in and they will be more then satisfying.

Jan 9, 2011 at 4:50 PM Post #8 of 29
Does the static sound occur with any other pair of headphones using the same source?  Do you get this sound from other songs in your library?  If you say no, I would have to assume that there may be a problem with your M50s.  I have never experienced a similar problem with my M50s.

Jan 9, 2011 at 5:10 PM Post #12 of 29
It seems likely that the M50s are simply more revealing than your other headphones.  I don't believe you have a problem with the headphones, but you probably found a pair that is capable of reproducing the poor quality of the original source material of the track.  You claim to be using 256-320kbps files, but what were the original sources for these compressed files?  How were these encoded?

Quote:
Listening really closely with other headphones, I can hear the same sounds, they're just much more prominent with the m50s

Jan 10, 2011 at 1:17 AM Post #13 of 29

Quote:
It seems likely that the M50s are simply more revealing than your other headphones.  I don't believe you have a problem with the headphones, but you probably found a pair that is capable of reproducing the poor quality of the original source material of the track.  You claim to be using 256-320kbps files, but what were the original sources for these compressed files?  How were these encoded?

Quote:
Listening really closely with other headphones, I can hear the same sounds, they're just much more prominent with the m50s

Yeah, I pretty much agree with this assessment.
It's doubtful that the M50's are the problem... but there is always that off-chance. More likely it's the soundcard, source files, or something else in the chain.

Jan 10, 2011 at 1:33 AM Post #14 of 29
My M50s never distort even on bass heavy tracks with bass EQed and bass boost on my E7. Its probably your mp3s. Are they youtube rips? Some small recording studios record tracks very poorly. Also where did you get your M50s? There are fakes ones around.

Jan 10, 2011 at 2:00 AM Post #15 of 29
Interested yifu when you say their are fake m50s going around. what web sites would you say are these fake ones coming from. I plan to avoid these sties for buying maybe m50s for myself. Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back