New ATH - M50
Jun 28, 2010 at 4:40 PM Post #16 of 52
Woooah xD. U listen to Kara, Big Bang, and G.O.D and others too? Nice man! haha.

One factor that led me to buy the Equation Audio RP-21s is because Kara uses them in the studio xD. So it HAS to be good :D.

Nice review btw, this was one of my choices out of the RP-21s, Q40, and Denon D1001.

Jul 12, 2010 at 9:12 AM Post #17 of 52
g.o.d., G-Dragon, Big Bang, Kara, among others. That's some interesting kpop idols.
For me i listen to all of them too but i listen to a lot more. SNSD(fav), CN BLUE, Super Junior, FT ISLAND, SHINee, f(x), 2AM, 2NE1, 2PM, 4minute, 8EIGHT, After School, BEAST, Hyori, Rain, T-ara and ETC. Well let's just say that i listen to all Kpop groups and idols. From old school G.O.D and H.O.T to current popularity crazed SNSD(Girls' Generation) and Super Junior, even new groups like SISTAR.

Were actually trying to find a good phone seems like the M50 might be nice.

Jul 12, 2010 at 12:07 PM Post #18 of 52
Is it possible to like your headphones too much?

Ever since getting my M50, I feel withdrawal symptoms at work...and a craving to listen to it while here.  Too bad it's too big and bulky to wear at work -> looks unprofessional.  Gosh, I really miss my headphones.  Can't wait til 5.

Jul 12, 2010 at 6:05 PM Post #19 of 52

Quote:
Is it possible to like your headphones too much?

Ever since getting my M50, I feel withdrawal symptoms at work...and a craving to listen to it while here.  Too bad it's too big and bulky to wear at work -> looks unprofessional.  Gosh, I really miss my headphones.  Can't wait til 5.

I have that problem right now with my Koss UR-55's. I've listed to these stupid $50 headphones more in the last week then even my HD-600 i've had for a few months. I'm not sure why this is. I guess one reason is that I felt like I got such a steal at only $40 when they were on sale. So far I can barely find any negatives about any area of the headphones. It's extremely rare to find a product I own to be near perfect. The last time this was the case was with my Triple Fi 10 and my first DVD player (a Sony) back in the day.

What's funny is that it's always time for bed and I always want to put on my headphones and listen to them for awhile. The first day I ended up listening to them until 3am and skipped sleeping for a few hours!

The M50's do sound great and are one of my favorites.

Jul 12, 2010 at 6:28 PM Post #20 of 52
^

Do you find the 840's as entertaining as the M50's?  I'm not much of a fan of phones that make listening to music like a final exam on sonic characteristics.

Jul 12, 2010 at 6:57 PM Post #21 of 52

Quote:
^

Do you find the 840's as entertaining as the M50's?  I'm not much of a fan of phones that make listening to music like a final exam on sonic characteristics.

Even more so actually (especially with electronic music)! Despite them not having as much bass, I still find that they do have enough bass for me. I find the bass on the M50's a bit too much at times and somewhat bloated. For example, sometimes I listen to Cantopop and there's too much bass and it just doesn't seem quite right. Lots of bass on Cantopop? Huh?! People always say that the SRH-840 are Neutral, but I don't get this. To me it doesn't seem like it. I even look at the frequency charts of them and am still confused. I actually find the Triple Fi 10 even more neutral then these! The Triple Fi 10 doesn't seem to do too much of any one thing to my ears, but this is definitely not the case with the SRH-840. It's close to neutral I guess, but I have problems with calling them that.

The treble on the 840's is a tad bit harsh to my ears (not as bad as the un-listenable [to my ears] 750DJ) and my ears get fatigued by them in just an hour or so. I don't EVER have this problem with the M50's. If anything on them will fatigue my ears, it will be the bass, but luckily I haven't had that effect yet.

Overall, the 840 has far better sound quality then the M50's, but a better fit.

Jul 12, 2010 at 7:59 PM Post #22 of 52
Definitely wanted to hear the 840's, sadly I can't do fatiguing highs for more than 10 minutes.  Maybe a warmer source will synergize better.  The Senheisser HD25's are on the radar too.  Thx for the input. 

Jul 22, 2010 at 2:38 AM Post #25 of 52
Ooh going back to the topic that i started :D

I was fixing my things when I came across my Audio Technica SJ3s again. I decided to give them a spin again using the same set up as my ATH-m50s (ipod touch 3rd gen, some 320kbps albums, fiio e1). Well I guess I got a bit spoiled by the M50s now. 

For one thing, the build quality for the m50 is really miles ahead of the SJ3. It fits snugly on my head now, not to mention the size of the phones, while the m50s are bigger, I kinda like the seal that they make instead of the on top of your ear SJ3.

As for sound, well the seal is really helpful in making the M50s shine when you are outside, the bass is a bit boom-ier (withthout being bloated) and everything else is quite balanced. Of course the m50s cost twice as much as the SJ3 haha

On another note,
The grip of the M50s really do loosen up over time. Right now, I find it that it's starting to slip from my head when I use it at the usual length. I now have to adjust it to the shortest setting if I want it to give of the same grip that it had when it was brand new (which was a just a few months ago).

Jul 28, 2010 at 11:53 AM Post #26 of 52
Quote:
g.o.d., G-Dragon, Big Bang, Kara, among others. That's some interesting kpop idols.
For me i listen to all of them too but i listen to a lot more. SNSD(fav), CN BLUE, Super Junior, FT ISLAND, SHINee, f(x), 2AM, 2NE1, 2PM, 4minute, 8EIGHT, After School, BEAST, Hyori, Rain, T-ara and ETC. Well let's just say that i listen to all Kpop groups and idols. From old school G.O.D and H.O.T to current popularity crazed SNSD(Girls' Generation) and Super Junior, even new groups like SISTAR.

Were actually trying to find a good phone seems like the M50 might be nice.

Whoa, it's kinda strange to see those groups mentioned on an audiophile forum.
biggrin.gif
Good taste.
beerchug.gif

Anyway, anyone else compared the M50 to the ATH-A500? I had them before but they were too hot for me, living in a freaking hot country. Ended up selling them and got some cheap ATH-FC700. Really miss the SQ of the A500 though.

Jul 28, 2010 at 1:19 PM Post #27 of 52

Quote:
Whoa, it's kinda strange to see those groups mentioned on an audiophile forum.
biggrin.gif
Good taste.
beerchug.gif

Anyway, anyone else compared the M50 to the ATH-A500? I had them before but they were too hot for me, living in a freaking hot country. Ended up selling them and got some cheap ATH-FC700. Really miss the SQ of the A500 though.

Hehe I love these groups too. Though it's a shame some kpop songs have flaws in the recording. My all time fave group has some distorted songs even straight from the CD. Aww :frowning2:.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back