NEW Astell&Kern SR25 DAP - Available Soon!
Apr 27, 2020 at 8:25 AM Post #61 of 96
I hate that we have 2 separate threads for SR25 :), but some might not be following the other main thread, so I will post here as well.

Playing 24b/48k high res FLAC in a loop, using 2.5mm balanced output, average sensitivity/impedance IEMs, normal listening volume level with wifi/BT/EQ off, and display mostly off (just periodically checking the battery status) - 21hrs 45min playback with 1% remaining on SR25 :D

Apr 27, 2020 at 8:34 AM Post #62 of 96
I use only balanced output from my Fiio Q1MK2 and Radsone ES100. My Fiio is over 2 years old and I've never broken a 2.5mm plug. Not sure how people are using their gear, but clearly there are those who seem to treat their hifi components less gently than I do. Longevity is determined by how carefully you treat your gear. I'm curious as to how people who advocate for 4.4 Pentagon will be using their audio gear, if they are snapping off a 2.5mm balanced plug. I just don't get how this type of damage happens unless you are treating your gear roughly. If I was to spend a substantial amount of money (which I consider this device to be) I SAF wouldn't be swinging it around by the iem cable and making plugs snap. With my current 2 balanced 2.5mm devices, I use them at home with my phone and outside around my home. No heavy work or excercise. I don't put my devices in situations where there's a possibility that they could get damaged.
So you've only ever used your portable device on a desktop and never moved your head such that it might apply strain on the cable? That seems weird to me. Oh wait, the two devices you cite are an amp that would usually be used on a desktop and a Bluetooth receiver that clips to the outside of pockets. That experience, if the sum total, is not representative of DAP use, which is what we are talking about here.

It takes next to nothing to break a 2.5mm connector. Wear and tear did it for one that I was using, no inordinate pressure, just walking with it in a coat pocket and doing normal day-to-day movements. That broken one was on an Eidolic 2.5mm, which may be the best 2.5mm connector made. If you have any 2.5mm connectors that use a collar, the chance of breaking is even higher. If your player has a 2.5mm jack that isn't flush, that increases your chance of breaking even further.

Apr 28, 2020 at 5:46 AM Post #63 of 96
Well, I don't have SR15 for comparison, but considering others referring to the original as having a thin and less engaging sound, I can tell you from my experience of playing with SR25 now - it's far from it. I hear a relatively balanced neutral natural fuller body tonality and good resolution, very similar to Plenue R2 and Hiby R5. But, it has a wider soundstage perception in comparison to R2 and R5, and more layered sound with better dynamics. It was just a quick comparison, but both R2 and R5 sound a little flatter in dynamics next to SR25 playing the same hi-res 24bit FLACs w/U18t. While it is positioned as A&K entry level DAP, the sound performance is more mid-fi, not entry level :wink:

ak_sr25-x01.jpg ak_sr25-x02.jpgak_sr25-x03.jpg ak_sr25-x04.jpgak_sr25-x05.jpg ak_sr25-x06.jpg
I was considering getting Plenue R2 because from having researched many reviews I concluded it has the best sound quality at that price range (especially when you use the Jeft Effect settings) and the battery life is good (17 hrs I think). But a big minus was it's bluetooth 3.0 as there were lots of reviews saying that it's not very good and some even saying it can't even cope with the distance of being in your pocket- that it'll keep disconnecting etc (I saw your review on your website and you seemed to have no issues with bluetooth?). But now SR25 came out and it has everything I need, good battery life, way better bluetooth. I now just need to know how good the sound quality is compared to R2. Have you tried comparing them by using the Jet Effects (BBE, BBE headphone etc) on Plenue R2? I heard that makes a huge difference.

Apr 28, 2020 at 7:46 AM Post #64 of 96
For those who would like to see the SR25 in action:

:)

Apr 28, 2020 at 8:09 AM Post #65 of 96
I was considering getting Plenue R2 because from having researched many reviews I concluded it has the best sound quality at that price range (especially when you use the Jeft Effect settings) and the battery life is good (17 hrs I think). But a big minus was it's bluetooth 3.0 as there were lots of reviews saying that it's not very good and some even saying it can't even cope with the distance of being in your pocket- that it'll keep disconnecting etc (I saw your review on your website and you seemed to have no issues with bluetooth?). But now SR25 came out and it has everything I need, good battery life, way better bluetooth. I now just need to know how good the sound quality is compared to R2. Have you tried comparing them by using the Jet Effects (BBE, BBE headphone etc) on Plenue R2? I heard that makes a huge difference.

If you're into sound shaping with EQ and dsp effects, that's Plenue R2 advantage in this comparison. With everything else SR25 is ahead since you have the latest BT with LDAC support, you can do streaming using popular services, you have better battery life, and even some improvements in sound performance. And sorry, I always compare stock sound of the daps with all effects and eq off, otherwise it will be misleading to my readers.

Apr 28, 2020 at 4:56 PM Post #66 of 96
Just posted this in the other SR25 thread, so will mirror here as well. For anybody who is interested, I did a second battery test with SR25. Figured, after a few charge/discharge cycles the battery will be properly calibrated.

It was the same test as before, playing 24bit/48kHz high res FLAC in a loop, 2.5mm balanced output, average sensitivity/impedance IEMs, at normal listening volume level of 50. The screen was off most of the time, just periodically checking the battery status, and Wifi/BT/EQ was off. This time it lasted 22hrs 25min on a single charge!

Apr 28, 2020 at 4:57 PM Post #67 of 96
Just posted this in the other SR25 thread, so will mirror here as well. For anybody who is interested, I did a second battery test with SR25. Figured, after a few charge/discharge cycles the battery will be properly calibrated.

It was the same test as before, playing 24bit/48kHz high res FLAC in a loop, 2.5mm balanced output, average sensitivity/impedance IEMs, at normal listening volume level of 50. The screen was off most of the time, just periodically checking the battery status, and Wifi/BT/EQ was off. This time it lasted 22hrs 25min on a single charge!
Did you get given the SR25 in return for your opinion?

Apr 28, 2020 at 8:32 PM Post #69 of 96
Did you get given the SR25 in return for your opinion?

SR25 was just announced, not available for sale yet. So yeah, it's a review loaner. Why? You don't want me to share "my opinion" about it? :wink:

Apr 29, 2020 at 7:57 AM Post #71 of 96
It’s just nice to know the nature of your relationship with A&K before considering your “opinion” is all... :wink:

Wait, you didn't know I own 51% of the company and sit on the board of A&K directors? :D Check "about" section of their website, it's all in there :p

Sorry you haven't seen or read hundreds of my published detailed neutral reviews on head-fi, covering products from multiple dozens of manufacturers (oh, and I'm a shareholder in all of them as well :D). But in over 27,200 instances (going by accumulated Like reactions) our community here found my opinion useful. Including the disclaimer in the intro of every review where I transparently state if it's a review loaner or a keeper. I'm not a consumer, I'm reviewer.

But I can competely understand your concern. It could be very suspicious that while on lockdown working from home crazy hours (my full time job) and trying to keep up with my kids online schooling in these rough times, I also spent 2 days of my time running battery test on SR25 to help members of this community, to confirm if what A&K stating is true or exaggerated.

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2020 at 9:26 AM Post #72 of 96
Wait, you didn't know I own 51% of the company and sit on the board of A&K directors? :D Check "about" section of their website, it's all in there :p

Sorry you haven't seen or read hundreds of my published detailed neutral reviews on head-fi, covering products from multiple dozens of manufacturers (oh, and I'm a shareholder in all of them as well :D). But in over 27,200 instances (going by accumulated Like reactions) our community here found my opinion useful. Including the disclaimer in the intro of every review where I transparently state if it's a review loaner or a keeper. I'm not a consumer, I'm reviewer.

But I can competely understand your concern. It could be very suspicious that while on lockdown working from home crazy hours (my full time job) and trying to keep up with my kids online schooling in these rough times, I also spent 2 days of my time running battery test on SR25 to help members of this community, to confirm if what A&K stating is true or exaggerated.
Honestly, a simple "I didn't receive this player to keep indefinitely and for free in return for my 'honest' opinion" would have sufficed.
Didn't realise you wanted to enter into a d*ck measuring competition but this could be one of the ways that you're able to save some time in your day to spend with your kids maybe? :wink: just a suggestion. Either way, there's been a lot of shilling in reviews and impressions lately and I (and I'm sure others) just like to be reminded of what the individual's relationship is with the manufacturer / retailer etc.

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2020 at 9:28 AM Post #73 of 96
Honestly, a simple "I didn't receive this player to keep indefinitely and for free in return for my 'honest' opinion" would have sufficed.
Didn't realise you wanted to engage in a d*ck measuring competition but this could be one of the ways that you're able to save some time in your day to spend with your kids maybe? :wink: just a suggestion. Either way, there's been a lot of shilling in reviews and impressions lately and I (and I'm sure others) just like to be reminded of what the individual's relationship is with the manufacturer / retailer etc.

Lol relax, he's a known reviewer of hardware, he's clean.

Apr 29, 2020 at 9:36 AM Post #74 of 96
Didn't realise you wanted to engage in a d*ck measuring competition but this could be one of the ways that you're able to save some time in your day to spend with your kids maybe? :wink: just a suggestion. Either way, there's been a lot of shilling in reviews and impressions lately and I (and I'm sure others) just like to be reminded of what the individual's relationship is with the manufacturer / retailer etc.

I thought my replying back to you "it's a review loaner" implied that it's not a keeper. You questioned my credibility, I replied back to you. If my smart-arse sarcasm offended you, sorry about that. Oh, and thanks, my kids are fine and my wife says I already won the competition :D

Apr 29, 2020 at 9:39 AM Post #75 of 96
I thought my replying back to you "it's a review loaner" implied that it's not a keeper. You questioned my credibility, I replied back to you. If my smart-arse sarcasm offended you, sorry about that. Oh, and thanks, my kids are fine and my wife says I already won the competition :D

Offended me hahaha. Takes a little bit more than some sarcasm to offend me. I'm glad we could clarify that in the end, give your wife my regards.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back