New around here
May 8, 2011 at 10:22 PM Post #16 of 49
So get myself some Ultrasone Pro 900's and skip getting an amp?
I mean I have a nice onboard sound card but nothing expensive.

The 900's fit the 400 price tag exactly :D

These are it right?

Yes sir, those are them. Great thing about Ultrasones is that they don't need an amp to sound fantastic. You'll love the pro900, especially for electronica.

Will they sound like $400 out of an onboard sound card?

May 8, 2011 at 10:32 PM Post #18 of 49

Quote:
Quote:
So get myself some Ultrasone Pro 900's and skip getting an amp?
I mean I have a nice onboard sound card but nothing expensive.

The 900's fit the 400 price tag exactly :D

These are it right?

Quote:
Yes sir, those are them. Great thing about Ultrasones is that they don't need an amp to sound fantastic. You'll love the pro900, especially for electronica.

Will they sound like $400 out of an onboard sound card?

Hehe, I was stunned, appaled, and a few other not so good things when I read "nice" and "onboard sound card"
biggrin.gif

@Excision: Is your budget reduction from $400 to $200 related to you wanting to get a DAC, amp, or both? Or d) none of the above?

May 8, 2011 at 10:40 PM Post #19 of 49
Lets say I changed my budget to ~200 USD what would you suggest then?

I assume this is directed at me. I was simply asking a question. It may be that they will sound their best while only plugged into a sound card. I don't know, but I don't want people new to this hobby to not get their money's worth and leave with a bad taste in their mouth.

Here are a few links that I highly recommend reading if you haven't yet:

Buying Guide Headphones By Price Range

A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By Boomana

Again, those headphones suggested earlier may be exactly what you want but matching source with headphones is important. Hopefully someone will chime in to help you out.

May 9, 2011 at 12:14 AM Post #20 of 49
Buy the best headphones you can possibly afford now and worry about an amp later. I've owned countless headphones and while amping improved some of them, the presence or lack of an amp wasn't a large enough difference to make me like headphones I didn't like in the first place. I truly feel amps just squeeze a bit more out of some headphones, and do relatively nothing for others. Basically I'd rather have a better pair of headphones unamped than a lower set with an amp/dac. But that's just me.

May 9, 2011 at 1:45 AM Post #21 of 49

Quote:
Buy the best headphones you can possibly afford now and worry about an amp later. I've owned countless headphones and while amping improved some of them, the presence or lack of an amp wasn't a large enough difference to make me like headphones I didn't like in the first place. I truly feel amps just squeeze a bit more out of some headphones, and do relatively nothing for others. Basically I'd rather have a better pair of headphones unamped than a lower set with an amp/dac. But that's just me.

Ok man, you can have your SR-007 straight out of your iPod :p

i keed, i keed

May 9, 2011 at 5:36 AM Post #22 of 49
LOL good one :wink: I don't have those or foresee that happening in the near future but believe me, if it were at all possible to directly hook them up to my peasant's toy called an iPod... I would. 

Quote:
Ok man, you can have your SR-007 straight out of your iPod :p

i keed, i keed

May 9, 2011 at 5:44 AM Post #23 of 49

Quote:

Don't think this would apply for something like the LCD-2, however.  Not all headphones are equal, and some really do require amping to sound good period.

May 9, 2011 at 5:51 AM Post #24 of 49

Quote:
Don't think this would apply for something like the LCD-2, however.  Not all headphones are equal, and some really do require amping to sound good period.

Don't think this would apply for something like Ultrasones, which were in question. Not all headphoens are equal, and some really don't require amping period.

May 9, 2011 at 6:38 AM Post #25 of 49

Quote:
Don't think this would apply for something like Ultrasones, which were in question. Not all headphoens are equal, and some really don't require amping period.

Very true, but the post of yours I was citing seemed to imply that it doesn't make a "massive" difference for any headphones, I simply made a counterpoint.  Trying to drive an HE-6 or LCD-2 with an iPod/onboard sound card would be like trying to tow a semi trailer with a minivan. :p

May 9, 2011 at 6:42 AM Post #26 of 49

Quote:
Very true, but the post of yours I was citing seemed to imply that it doesn't make a "massive" difference for any headphones, I simply made a counterpoint.  Trying to drive an HE-6 or LCD-2 with an iPod/onboard sound card would be like trying to tow a semi trailer with a minivan. :p

I'm sorry I didn't mean that, sorry for the misunderstanding. You're right! But, I just hate how on head-fi, "unamped" is seriously a bad word. I don't understand it, there are some headphones that sound just as good unamped as they do amped. I honestly am of the very small minority who think amps are a faff, especially if you're like me and don't have a dedicated listening station. My listening station is wherever i feel like plunking my butt down, so having yet another device that gives marginal gains in the headphones I currently own just doesn't make sense to me. I think it's why I tend to like Shure, Ultrasone and Grado so much, they're not power mongers and most sound 95-100% as good unamped as they would amped (to me). 

May 9, 2011 at 7:44 AM Post #27 of 49
I must say, an amp doesn't make a massive difference for my HD595s, but I can notice the difference if I plug it into my home theatre receiver, it gets a lot clearer and the bass becomes more prominent.

But for a majority of IEMs, an amp gives you maybe the final 5-10% boost in audio quality, unless it's something that apparently works quite well with an amp in which case it might be as high as 25%.  But my understanding for some high impedance full-sized cans, is that it can be practically the difference between sounding awful and sounding amazing.  But at a lower price point that would be extremely rare, and most people would be fine without an amp - it would be silly for a headphone manufacturer to design a $50 headphone to work well with a $200 amp rather than a simple iPod headphone out.  If a sub-$150 or so headphone works significantly better with a good amp then that's just bad design on the engineer's part.

Of course, a good amp can make more differences than just that if the source is awful to begin with, like many (most) onboard sound cards.  It's not really just the extra 5% anymore, it's more about getting clean sound that doesn't sound like it's coming from an awfully scratched vinyl LP.  My experience with Realtek onboards, at any rate, is that they muddy up the sound significantly and add a weird hissing/buzzing/ringing noise in one or both channels at random intervals...even on higher end motherboards.

But in the end, whenever people talk about how much better an amp makes most headphones sound, it's generally exaggerated.  To a true audiophile even a 5% difference can be a lot, but to most they wouldn't be able to tell the difference unless they do quick A/B if at all.  But I do feel a good amp can make a big difference if you're coming from a truly bad amp.

May 9, 2011 at 12:29 PM Post #28 of 49
Thanks for the input guys :D

I will NEVER be using these cans for an iPod only my PC, my friend was telling me that I should look for something around ~200 because they will sound close to the ~400 budget ones too (or close enough to save 200 for something else)

May 9, 2011 at 7:13 PM Post #29 of 49
Thanks for the input guys :D

I will NEVER be using these cans for an iPod only my PC, my friend was telling me that I should look for something around ~200 because they will sound close to the ~400 budget ones too (or close enough to save 200 for something else)

I suppose that makes sense. I still stand by the Ultrasone recommendation though, maybe you could get a pair of dj1pros or hfi780's in that case.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back