New Apple Stuff (October 2012)
Oct 24, 2012 at 1:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

MorbidToaster

Headphoneus Supremus
So...Lots of little updates today. 

New iMacs everyone has been waiting for. Look nice, but I'd say they're going to take up the same amount of space. 

iPad Mini. I honestly think it'll make a better remote than a full sized iPad...and considering that's all I'd use it for...we'll see.

I think the most exciting for me is the new Mac Mini options. Sporting 2tb in the new server is pretty awesome, though I'm not too happy about them pulling the better graphics from the upper end standard.

Oct 24, 2012 at 1:08 AM Post #2 of 16
2TB is a good amount of music and would account for everything I listen to on a regular basis.  That said, it's $999 + tax - you could find a previous gen model on craigslist for about $450, replace the hard drive with a 2TB for about $200, and save yourself some cash.  That voids the warranty though, as well as misses out on whatever other differences are in the new mini.  

Oct 24, 2012 at 1:16 AM Post #3 of 16
Minor processor differences, and some people I know swear by Apple Care so voiding the warranty is rough, but you are right. 

Could still see me getting one soon.

Oct 25, 2012 at 9:41 PM Post #4 of 16
This is some promising equipment showing up. Something that has been forgotten by many half a year ago is that this is one of Tim Cooks first large releases of equipment under his leadership. He has shown much fruit in that he is capable but lets keep on seeing.

Their numbering scheme is also smart. People living in this world experience it differntly. For example, next people will want an iPhone 6 and that sounds normal right?

Yes UNTIL you layer it out as if THEY DID use the numbered scheme...it looks ABSOLUTELY RIDICULOUS
iPhone
iPhone 2 
iPhone 3
iPhone 4
iPhone 5
iPhone 6
iPhone 7

This scheme is just ridiculous. Thats why the new iPad the fourth gen is just the fourth gen. Not the iPad 4 as it would lead to some pretty ridiculous things. It is just..the iPad.

The innovation Apple themselves are doing on their own computers is also nice in that we are getting super thin high performance computers with all the many good stuff

There are many weird things and cons that are also there but hey. Thats a topic for another day.

Oct 25, 2012 at 11:20 PM Post #5 of 16
as usual of apple product. right at the boundaries but never push it.

Oct 26, 2012 at 6:29 AM Post #7 of 16
What bugs about the new imac is the new screen, does that mean that you're not going to be able to change any component yourself?

Oct 26, 2012 at 6:57 AM Post #8 of 16
Year by year Apple intergrates more and more of their components so it can not br user diyd easily or at all.

This is for a variety of reasons that are good. The only cons are to enthusiasts and people that know how to save money by diy on computers. Qnd you may say or argue it is a con to the whole indUstry itself that Apple is forcing a very closed loop system. But as of right now. Its pros are what matter. Computer enthusiats make up only 2.3% of the total users of computers world wide. And most wouldnt buy a mac anyway. It would be a loss if Apple kept internal replacement and toying with it just for that approx 1% of pc enthusiasts that would buy it out of the 2.3%

I can go into pro specifics and cons in more depth if you would like

Oct 26, 2012 at 8:21 AM Post #9 of 16
Quote:
And most wouldnt buy a mac anyway.
It would be a loss if Apple kept internal replacement and toying with it just for that approx 1% of pc enthusiasts that would buy it out of the 2.3%

Well, I consider myself a "computer enthusiast".  I've bought an Imac just because I love mac os and that, at the time, I couldn't build a hackintosh up as I was going to use it for school so I needed something reliable (with a warranty etc...).

I'm with you on one thing : 95% of apple's customers just don't care about what's inside their computer. But there's a small range of customers who do. I do. And I'm not going to buy a mac ever again.

Well, if you consider quo computer to be macs then I'll maybe buy another mac :wink:
Quote:
I can go into pro specifics and cons in more depth if you would like

Then could you do it please? I'm all ears

Oct 26, 2012 at 9:03 AM Post #10 of 16
Ill do it when I get home :)

I am a computer enthusiast too. But I dont like to be grouped in the demo or more specifcaly PSYCHOGRAPHIC of the usual people found on OCN because Im not. I like Apple too but also build computers and use a variety of devices and open source programs and etc.

Its not that modt dont care. They like the awesome what wiz it core i something that looks fast, retina, that cool ssd, and MOAR RAM IS BETTAH, and other things but how to personal replace, fix, upgrade they dont care about mostly. I would rather I be able to replace the battery or upgrade the ram. I like that as Im an enthusast but my arguments for pros take into consideration a whole variety of issues. Ill post it later

Oct 26, 2012 at 9:11 AM Post #11 of 16
Quote:
Ill do it when I get home
smily_headphones1.gif

Cool, thanks.

Oct 26, 2012 at 9:53 PM Post #12 of 16
Quote:
So...Lots of little updates today. 

New iMacs everyone has been waiting for. Look nice, but I'd say they're going to take up the same amount of space. 

iPad Mini. I honestly think it'll make a better remote than a full sized iPad...and considering that's all I'd use it for...we'll see.

I think the most exciting for me is the new Mac Mini options. Sporting 2tb in the new server is pretty awesome, though I'm not too happy about them pulling the better graphics from the upper end standard.

I am very stoked about the new iMacs. I came really close to buying a 27" one in September So glad I waited!

Oct 26, 2012 at 10:15 PM Post #13 of 16
Pros of the new advancements of Apple. We must look first at their market. There are 57 million Computer Enthusiasts worldwide and 2.27Billion Internet users. That means the enthusiast market is 2.3% and most of those would not if given the chance, get a Mac and totally replace ALL their computers with one.  That means that their target audience is EVEN smaller than 2.3% if we are ONLY considering that I am calling their target audience, anyone that isn't a computer enthusiast and thus wouldn't know about what is really happening.

Sorry for my handwriting , I had to type fast.

With that in mind. Apple's recent last decade moves have been further and further into the future. Why? First they removed the removable switch battery(flip the swittch and it pops out) citing an internal non removable increases battery as they can use space more and now they solder the RAM, use proprietary(semi) Hard Drive or SSD Sata plugs and non remocable batterys and CPU's and many other things. Yes yes. Your RAM is now soldered and SSD and HDD are very hard to replace and battery is hard as well and good luck replacing the screen. What does that mean for a consumer? MANY pros. What does that mean for an Enthusiast. Apple sucks. 

Pros for the consumer: The soldering REQUIRES that now Apple gets to choose and use their own stuff. This can give you more power life and performance as you are using only Apple selected ram. It isn't premium, but Apple's RAM sticks have to actually pass a certain speed and performance "test"(not really, more like a check) before it can work with the OS. What this means for not only its RAM but everything is that it saves more on space so you can have thinner computers but ALSO a "faster" and more longevited computer. Since you can't switch it. Buying used in the future means you won't be using crap ram. Also the pre set RAM sticks without the need for user servicable notches saves on those milimeters of space that Apple can shave off and also at the same time promote battery life as they are using select Dimm's. Their SSD standards also allow for that. LEss user removability means less "length" of the wires meaning less waste, room needed and user servicable latches. More room basically and if done right, may help with power saving costs as well. Their batteries also have the same thing. A battery that isn't removable has the possibility(that Apple is using) to fill up more and more space with useable cells to store its power(Apple uses rectangular cells and not round ones to get even more power). 

it also is a service thing. Think about computer repairs that are cheap. A consumer gets a computer back and it only has the basic changes done to it or fixed. The screen may keep flickering from a faulty card or the hard drive keeps failing. Consumers will then get really pissed at the brand. Usually it deals with Sh8*** HP or Dell as thats the brand. With the new changes. It is more or less needed that a Genius or employee replace near all the mainboard(hard to call it a motherboard now) or Screen (retina) to completely fix the issue. Thus when they get it back, even with the hefty cost. Its 100% problem free. The problem we have today is that we are so used to cheap. But guess what? Apple is a luxury brand. They are not dumbing themselves down. Tim Cook has shown that he will not follow with the appeal to everyone poor and whatever thing that HP does with their $200 models to their thousand dollar models. Perfection is key. When did a computer that you want to work, to just feel good and be reliable cost $500? And why should it when we are in middle class America(its understandable elsewhere but again, Apple is not everyone company). A computer should try to be as reliable as possible and give that new feel when you get it. Replacing the whole mainboard gives you that new OMG ITS NEW AND FAST AGAIN. Feel when consumers get it back. 

Backstory:Lastly it also promotes Apples closed system. Apple takes no effort in conceiling their closed system. Apple was almost dead in the 90's but through experience in the 70's and 80's to their entire history, they have learned of what works for them. Not what works for everyone. Microsfts open policy has worked and so has Apples closed one. There is no perfect one to choose. But Apple choose the later. Basically Apple learned that you must have developers develop your stuff but you shouldn't put a product out and expect them to do it. Develop a set of programs and set an example. Also with past partnerships, companies will already come and develop for you. This hurdle has been long past. But anyway, moving on. Apple has leanred and ANYONE, can see that their closed system works. They wouldn't be the largest single smartphone company if it wasn't for that. They have over half a billion apps and millions of users. 

Their new closed hardware systems further promotes their domininity without hiding it. They already control your software. They will also control your hardware. Because they know what is good for you and what will be good for you and rightly so in this case only. Does this make them masterlords? No? The money is still the consumers. If their dominiated ideas aren't good and the stuff they push isn't good, it won't sell. And thus they must work not only to keep their dominance but also good products. ITs almost like every purchase shows that yes, you are a number that will be given to marketing to show who and how many will bend to the will of Apple and its closed policies.

Main points:
Speed improvements 
Battery Life
One big expensive but working fix 
ease of replacement for their workers
Closed system and showing it

Cons:
Will type tomorrow

Oct 27, 2012 at 12:23 AM Post #14 of 16
I just sold my 27" from 2011. I don't regret it, but I'm very glad I waited on the Mac Mini. The 2tb server is going to be pretty sweet.

I think I might just reformat them to just have a 1tb backup of the first. Failsafes are nice.

Quote:
I am very stoked about the new iMacs. I came really close to buying a 27" one in September So glad I waited!

Oct 27, 2012 at 8:02 PM Post #15 of 16
Quote:

I think that we should discuss this via pm, this type of debate is probably not the kind of discussion the OP has created this thread for. I'll try to send you something tomorrow.

Sorry for the hijack guys..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back